Thread: Boot error - TomTom 7910 onto F&H GPS35LS

Thanks

Boot error - TomTom 7910 onto F&H GPS35LS

Sorry for opening a new thread but did not know where to post issue with my F&H 4.3".

I followed the Sticky: HOW TO Install TomTom 7910 onto F&H GPS35LS and got stuck after instruction 8. Thereafter it says load new software by pressing GPS icon, however I do not have the above suggested icon. I have 'Navigation' icon which I tried and it load with TT boot screen (3.5) followed by the Activation Failed screen check the pics.

101_3141.JPG101_3143.JPG101_3144.JPG101_3146.JPG101_3147.JPG101_3148.JPG

Thanks in advance
    Sevenoceans

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It looks like you have loaded TT and the map on your device okay, the map just needs activating using BBStools (instruction 12 onwards).

Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I am now on step 23 and getting this error :(

iiiMap could not be activated!!!
    Check that you have an updated ****.txt...

Please help me what am I doing wrong?

Many thanks
    Oceans
    Last edited by Sevenoceans; 22-11-2012 at 12:53 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Not sure about Windows 7 - I use an XP machine for this stuff. Perhaps someone else will be along who could help with that one.

If you are struggling with BBS Tools, I find FastActivate easier to use. Put the SD card in the PC, put the .exe in the root of the card and run it from there. The only problem with FastActivate is that if you have the pre-cracked celeb voices, it tries to activate them... you need to delete any new ******.chk.dct files that appear in the voices folder afterwards.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by sparky_dog; 22-11-2012 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_dog View Post
    Not sure - I use an XP machine for this stuff. Perhaps someone else will be along who could help with that one.

If you are struggling with BBS Tools, I find FastActivate easier to use. Put the SD card in the PC, put the .exe in the root of the card and run it from there. The only problem with FastActivate is that if you have the pre-cracked celeb voices, it tries to activate them... you need to delete any new ******.chk.dct files that appear in the voices folder afterwards.

Thanks mate I used FastActivate with windows 7 and it looks like it is working will take it tomorrow for a test drive :champion-018:

Will come back if there is any problem.

Am so happy.
    Last edited by Sevenoceans; 22-11-2012 at 01:45 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Good news, well done mate. :respect-048:

The error you had above

iiiMap could not be activated!!!
    Check that you have an updated ****.txt...
    is because the m e t a.txt in BBSTools did not contain the m e t a information for that particular map. It comes with the map as a .txt file, and has to be added to the BBSTools m e t a.txt file.

As an alternative to BBSTools, I would highly recommend FastActivate.
    Last edited by sparky_dog; 22-11-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    bbs tools works fine in win7

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanks for the confirmation echelon.

FastActivate is worth trying out, it works and it's a doddle to use.

Thanks
    just tested the new 900-4608 uk+roi no alg or iq routes maps and working fine using fast activate according to your instructions

I backed up my voices folder first , then activated the new maps , then deleted the voices folder and copied my backup across in its place, just to be safe

Thanks
    Last night I tested my sat nav and it is working very well had couple of glitches in the beginning but nothing major. Now I want to install traffic management and latest speed cam. I have seen in BBS toolbar menu and downloaded the speed cam will test later this evening unless there is a different way. Also I saw QuickGPSFix but when I click it crashes any idea why. BTW I tried again with BBS to activate map but no joy. FastActive worked for me.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenoceans View Post
    Last night I tested my sat nav and it is working very well had couple of glitches in the beginning but nothing major. Now I want to install traffic management and latest speed cam. I have seen in BBS toolbar menu and downloaded the speed cam will test later this evening unless there is a different way. Also I saw QuickGPSFix but when I click it crashes any idea why. BTW I tried again with BBS to activate map but no joy. FastActive worked for me.

Thanks
    these are the cameras I installed, just copy to the map folder

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...Files-24-10-12

I did have the previous 890-4234 maps installed and activated but downloaded the new 900-4608 maps here

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...-amp-Higher%29

and I moved the 24 oct 2012 ZONED speedcam files from the old folder to the new one (no activation required)

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...Files-24-10-12

I would not assume you can use bbs tools to download and use everything possible thats on an original tomtom unit

afaik you use tt 7.910 , the correct maps (no alg or iq routes) and the zoned cameras which hadnt been updated for a year until recently

you can also add the cracked voices, but dont act like a kid in a candy store expecting to use everything listed in the bbs tools menu on a navigo. a lot of stuff may relate to the newer navcores and additions made available in those newer navcores. this is a pda running an old navcore and subject to various limitations, so whilst it is capable of running an old tomtom navcore and suitable maps and voices and speedcams, it is not a real unit that is capable of so much more

Thanks
    Just a quick update had few trips with the above suggested installation on my device and it is all working great, a big thanks to echelon and the original guide. I have also compared this with tomtom one they both work similarly is just that my F&H takes longer to pick the GPS signal. Most of the time I have to force to get gps signal by going into map and find the destination address under recent address and then go back to navigation. Any suggestions for a QuickFixGPS please? Thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Some of the older F&H/Navigo units can be a little slower getting a lock, unfortunately it's a function of the hardware and there's not much you can do. I'm not sure if the quickfixGPS will work with the F&H hardware.

You need a decent outdoor signal, and a bit of patience... it's purely a time issue, the lock will come whatever you are doing with the satnav.

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply Mr. Sparky, I guess will have to deal with it for a while until I get a bit better one. Cheers

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It is worth checking that you have the right gps device settings, this can affect lock speed.

IIRC, COM7 and 38400 baud recommended.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_dog View Post
    It is worth checking that you have the right gps device settings, this can affect lock speed.

IIRC, COM7 and 38400 baud recommended.
    agreed, I found using the 57600 mode made it take longer to lock, so changed to 38400 as above which improved it (com7)

I also amended my tutorial about this a week or two ago