Thread: Newbie Advice

Thanks

Newbie Advice

I was on the point of ordering an SS2 when Stapimps went down and delayed until now because I didn't know whether any useful source of advice would become available. I've taken the plunge now (delivery some time next week I expect), as this place seems to be almost as good. It's a shame the archive of posts isn't available but that's life, I suppose.

Anyway, what's the best way to get an SS2 up and running? I presume I will need to load the drivers and apps supplied first and then add stuff like progdvb, vplug, softcams, etc. I'm also quite interested in having a look at the BBC HD (if only to justify buying a better processor than my present Athlon 3700+!).

Is there an order in which to do things and any must haves and must avoids?

I'm going to be using my existing Force receiver to control the dish so will only be able to see one sat at a time and one polarity I guess. I'll progress to a dual lnb setup as and when necessary. I seem to remember seeing patches or drivers to provide dish control as well but can this work properly from a PC?

Thanks in advance

Tony

Thanks
    The only additional thing you will need to view BBC HD will be a H264 codec either Cyberlinks or CoreAVC (both work).

Must have = patience

Avoid = installing unnecessary codec packs and installing different viewing applications, you will have better success with one application not several.

Stick with using your Force receiver to move the dish as setting up DisEQ and USALS is a bit tricky and in my experience I've never got it to work 100%.

If you planning on purchasing a viewing application - MyTheatre has the necessary drivers for moving the dish - don't bother with a warez version, not worth the trouble.

Good luck

Thanks
    Thanks for the above. The card arrives tomorrow but I doubt I'll have time to play before Christmas.

Tony

Thanks
    Hi Chrome,

I notice that the the CoreAVC codec is avilable for download from the developers site. I am intersted in viewing BBC HD and have sufficient horespower in the PC to do this. I assume that I would need to buy the Professional edition as this mentions Satellite TV. The difference in cost is minimal.

Using ProgDVB is there anything specicial I would need to do apart from installing and registering the CODEC.

Best Rgards

Kite

BTW I agree totally that sticking to one package is best advice and don't get sucked into loading un-necessary codecs.

Thanks
    Sorry I don't use ProgDVB as my viewing application so am unsure if there is any configuration needed for this. With Alt-DVB you just need to ensure that you select CoreAVC Pro as your video filter - NO post processor and VMR/Overlay depending on your screen preference ie 4:3/16:9 (from memory).

I stuck with the Nvidia codec to handle the audio stream.

As there are so few Mpeg4 transmissions at present - why not hang on for awhile instead of just purchasing the codec. BBC HD has very few programmes available.

chrome

With the Pro version you do have several options available to you regarding deblocking

Thanks
    Thanks Chrome,

I haven't had chance to reload Alt-DVB since I built the new computer. I'll hang on over Christmas and see what's available in the New Year.

Cheers

Kite

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Using Prog dvb is straight forward and includes the Elecard codec free for about 30 days if I remember,just install codec on first install.Really good straight forward programme and works well with latest v plug when connected to the internet.Far better than it used to be.I use DVB Dream as well.Tried Alt DVB but when I changed channels I got a total crash and computer restarted.Conflict somewhere with an old version of V plug and something else?
    Have fun as they are a good card.