Thread: Sly HD Box Stuck in Standby.....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 336 Posts

Question Sly HD Box Stuck in Standby.....

Its been left unplugged over night etc and still wont come out of standby.Ive only had it a week and got it off the bay,tryed contacting seller but not had reply as of yet.it states on the sellers page :manufacturers 1 year parts and labour warranty (please note there is no paperwork for this as it automatically starts using the serial number of the unit when activated by sky)

Is this for real?and if it is,who would i contact regarding getting it repaired?

Cheers.

Thanks
    Does it have a HardDrive as I know there was some issue with the Sly Plus box and the drive played up and stayed in stand by?

Also you done the normal hard reset?

Thanks

Thanks
    Sly box stuck on standby

To check whether your Sly box is just stuck on standby or not receiving any power, press Sly on your Sly remote control. The light should turn from red to green.
    If it stays red, press the standby button on the front panel of your Sly box.
    If the light still doesn't turn green, follow the steps below:

Please note that the following procedure will stop any recordings currently in progress and reboot your Sly box so if you're currently recording something, you may prefer to wait until it's finished before following this process.

Switch your set top box to standby ('). If you can't do this, don't worry, just continue with the procedure. If you have a cordless telephone connected to the same socket as your Sly box, only unplug your Sly box. If you have a Sly+ box or a Sly HD box, wait for 30 seconds before moving onto step 2.
    Switch off the power supply to your Sly box at the mains socket or unplug it.
    Make sure no lights are illuminated on the front panel of your Sly box.
    Switch the power supply back on at the mains. After the red light appears:

Wait 30 seconds if you have a Sly digital box Wait 60 seconds if you have a Sly+ box Wait 2 minutes and 30 seconds if you have a Sly HD box

Press tv followed by Sly on your Sly remote control.
    You may see this message on your TV screen. "To use the full range of interactive services please ensure that an operating telephone line is connected, press backup to return". If this message appears, take a look at our problem with phoneline help guide.

If you see the message "No Satellite Signal" on your TV screen press tv guide on your Sly remote control. With All Channels highlighted, press select. After a few seconds the listings should appear as normal. Press Sly when the "No Satellite Signal" message disappears.

The "Searching for Listings" message may be displayed before Channel 998 appears.

If you see the message "Insert your Sly viewing card" on your TV screen remove and reinsert your viewing card into the "Sly Viewing Card" slot on the front of your Sly box. Make sure that the arrow is facing into the slot and the gold clip is facing down.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thas all been done m8 but thanx for your help Bal,seems a common fault that ive read on the net with a few peeps saying that its a hard drive failure and they have installed new ones and that sorted it.My question is,who should sort this out for me?the seller or the manufacturer?.The seller has mega good feedback and responded to questions about the box before i had a problem just havent heard from him since telling him of my prob.

Thanks

Icon10

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
    Thas all been done m8 but thanx for your help Bal,seems a common fault that ive read on the net with a few peeps saying that its a hard drive failure and they have installed new ones and that sorted it.My question is,who should sort this out for me?the seller or the manufacturer?.The seller has mega good feedback and responded to questions about the box before i had a problem just havent heard from him since telling him of my prob.
    Depends on terms of sale, but if sold a New then the seller.

Also if it not been that long, you could question with the bay as depending how you paid, you can get cover under PPal or Credit Card etc.

Try contacting them, but some people have also said they turned it off and then back on after a few minutes and then left it a few hours.

Most likely a harddrive fault, but also I read something somewhere once about lowering power as it should be 230v , but don't quote me on it

Thanks

Thanks
    have tried ringing sly and seeing what they say? the boxes have been supplied by them to dealers and they have repaired some that they had not supplied

Thanks
    Thanx for your replys,Finally heard from the seller today and have been told to send it back for a replacement,which is nice.Cheers.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,498 Posts
    That's good news EDGE and it proves that there are still a few honest people in the world.

Thanks

Icon14

It certainly does m8

Thanks

Icon8

Quote Originally Posted by EDGE View Post
    It certainly does m8
    Actually,it doesnt,lol.Sent the box back to seller,heard fook all from them so i got in touch,"oh,we have sent it to Thomson"was given a number and reference number,so rang them,fault found,awaiting parts.Rang again yesterday,2 parts recieved,awaiting another ****ed off with this,paying SLY for HD and cant watch it

Thanks
    Thanked 3,293 Times in 1,498 Posts
    Time to do what I did when sly+ first came out.
    Tell em you are not paying for what they can not provide, tell em you will cancel the DD.
    You are paying sly so get them involved.
    If the equipment is not up to scratch them sly need to get onto the dealers.
    I had my sly+ box changed 3 times. I finally lost it one night when it locked up and told em to stick it.
    They called me back a few days later and sent a guy round with a new box, not a recon and all was good since.
    It may be an option for you