Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Blow For Hd Dvd

Thanks
    www.avforums.com, people who have had both xe1 and playstation.

Thanks
    Yeah I can verify, upscaling is not very good on the ps3 and yes I have enabled it in the settings. The Toshiba HD DVD player is supposed to be great for just upscaling, not to mention the HD DVD playback and for the price of £115 its a pretty good deal even if HD DVD is not going to be around for long. The xbox360 is also not that great at upscaling either and they don't look much better than just normal SD playback.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chelseaboy View Post
    Just found this on a website if its true, the blu-ray vs HD DVD war could be over.

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers’ recent backing of Sony’s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric’s Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format..........................

....................chelseaboy
    Trust Wayne Rooney to have a Paw in the pie

Thanks
    what reports? the ps3 never had upscaling when it came out but now with the latest firmware update the upscaling is supposed to be faultless.
    Why waste your money with PS3's and 360's.Do what I did,I Just updated my Atari 2600 to play 360 and PS3 games.Only problem is it won't output 1080p on my Sony trinitron.Maybe I should upscale it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
    Yeah I can verify, upscaling is not very good on the ps3 and yes I have enabled it in the settings. The Toshiba HD DVD player is supposed to be great for just upscaling, not to mention the HD DVD playback and for the price of £115 its a pretty good deal even if HD DVD is not going to be around for long. The xbox360 is also not that great at upscaling either and they don't look much better than just normal SD playback.
    Ive looked on av forums and could not find anything saying how bad the ps3 upscaling was, with the new firmware it will upscale dvd films and playstation 2 games upto 1080p.

Ive put some links on the bottom that will give you a bit more information, but if i was you i would update to the latest frimware.

what firmware have you got on your PS3? or have you not gone online with it yet? If you havnt registered online you cant update to the latest firmware.

If your gonna buy an hd dvd player to play upscaled dvds, you might as well buy a normal stand alone upscaler, you can get them for about 50 pound, why waste all that money on a format thats going.

HD DVD is like the analogue signal, 2 years it will dead in the water, fair enough if i had bought one i would try to justify how good they are, but luckily enough i never made that mistake. Why do you think they are trying to shift them with 10 films for about 150 pound?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/23/s...r-games-and-m/

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...-ps2-upscaling

chelseaboy
    Last edited by chelseaboy; 30-01-2008 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks
    upscaling resident evil 4 ps2 game doesn`t look that good on ps3

Thanks
    Ive looked on av forums and could not find anything saying how bad the ps3 upscaling was, with the new firmware it will upscale dvd films and playstation 2 games upto 1080p.

Ive put some links on the bottom that will give you a bit more information, but if i was you i would update to the latest frimware.

what firmware have you got on your PS3? or have you not gone online with it yet? If you havnt registered online you cant update to the latest firmware.

If your gonna buy an hd dvd player to play upscaled dvds, you might as well buy a normal stand alone upscaler, you can get them for about 50 pound, why waste all that money on a format thats going.

HD DVD is like the analogue signal, 2 years it will dead in the water, fair enough if i had bought one i would try to justify how good they are, but luckily enough i never made that mistake. Why do you think they are trying to shift them with 10 films for about 150 pound?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/23/s...r-games-and-m/

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thum...-ps2-upscaling

chelseaboy
    I think I'm on 2.0 for the firmware for the ps3 and haven't been online in a couple of months. Yeah u say that about HD DVD players being dead in the water which will maybe be true in 2 years but at the moment there are still releases for HD DVD and to be able to buy a HD DVD player for £115 WITH 7 films is a steal even if thats all your gonna get. Thats why I was thinking about buying one. In 2 years time who knows what will be around,.My point is £115 is not that much money for an excellent HD DVD player that still has support.

Thanks
    Why buy a hd dvd player , when youve got a ps3 blu-ray player which plays hd, and you can pick the films up for less than 10 pound now.

The PS3 also doubles as a dvd upscaler, if i was you and you have a ps3 i would just buy some blu-ray films.

The firmware on my PS3 IS 2.10,

what is your username ill add you to my fiends list?

Ive read earlier that it will not fully upscale playstation 2 to games to full 1080p, but if you read the 2 articles in the links above it will explain a bit more.

chelseaboy

Thanks
    Why buy a hd dvd player , when youve got a ps3 blu-ray player which plays hd, and you can pick the films up for less than 10 pound now.

The PS3 also doubles as a dvd upscaler, if i was you and you have a ps3 i would just buy some blu-ray films.
    One reason - "Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monterey" is only on HD DVD. Had it been released on blu ray then I would have bought it on blu ray. I cant even remember my username on the ps3 its been ages since I used it on psn live.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
    One reason - "Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monterey" is only on HD DVD. Had it been released on blu ray then I would have bought it on blu ray. I cant even remember my username on the ps3 its been ages since I used it on psn live.
    im sure it will be on blu ray soon, maybe you can dust your PS3 and remember your username hehehehe!!!

As soon as you turn the PS3 on you can not go anywhere without selecting what user,

Firmware version 2.00 was released late in November, are you sure its not a PS2 youve got?

chesleaboy

Thanks
    no response have you lost it?

chelseaboy

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I imported the first HD-DVD player Toshiba HD-XA1 from the USA over 1 year ago and sold it pretty fast after that, now i got a imported Sony BDP-S1 and i am so happy i actually sold the HD-DVD player reading how the format is dying now.

Thanks
    PS3 outselling Xbox 360 after Blu-ray victory
    MS killed the HD DVD format

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12