Thread: Remote Control Help

V.I.P
    Thanks

Question Remote Control Help

Got an Echostar 3000viap and the numeric buttons on the left side of the remote are starting to "react" very slow..the power button packed in a long time ago...the number 1 is extreemly slow and now the number 4 is starting to do the same...read on satdudes ages ago that you can strip the remote down to "clean" it and in some instances guys added sliver paper...the only screw i can see is under the batteries so i removed that...but was unable to "prise" it open..to be honest i was worried about damaging it...any suggestions guys or any "easy opening" any one know of??
    any help appreciated

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Didn't think there was more than one screw, probably a couple of plastic clips (part of the cover) each side, which you'll have to prise open. If you're unlucky and they break, have some superglue ready.

Thanks

Icon12

Quote Originally Posted by consolglass View Post
    Got an Echostar 3000viap and the numeric buttons on the left side of the remote are starting to "react" very slow..the power button packed in a long time ago...the number 1 is extreemly slow and now the number 4 is starting to do the same...read on satdudes ages ago that you can strip the remote down to "clean" it and in some instances guys added sliver paper...the only screw i can see is under the batteries so i removed that...but was unable to "prise" it open..to be honest i was worried about damaging it...any suggestions guys or any "easy opening" any one know of??
    any help appreciated
    I have done the some thing to my Remote, and ended up getting a new one...

Let me know if you need any Remote...
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70023

I know how it feels without Original Remote....

Regards...

Thanks
    Consolglass
    if you are still looking to prise your remote apart, there are 3 tangs that run down each side of the it and located as follows:

1 between power button and tv/vcr/sat buttons
    1 inline with white previous channel change button
    1 just below bottom row of buttons

the male part of the tangs are on the upper part of the remote casing,
    so it is better to squeeze the lower part of casing starting with the middle tang

if you are looking to buying a replacement
    get a cheap one off eb*y and swap the new internals into the original case as the echostar plastic is much better quality

regards
    Carbonne

V.I.P
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies guys...will try it out shortly..looked on flea b*y and remote was £69 think it was an Echostar original...If i do muck it up any reccomendations as to which "cheap" remote to buy..I only use the numerical keys to update my dragon cam keys!! and dread when every one of them has a 1 !!!!

Thanks
    there is a remote for £20 on eb*y.
    you'll probably find that the remote is made of cheap plastic
    but the control board and keypads will fit in your orignal echostar case

good luck

carbonne

V.I.P
    Thanks
    cheers I`ve opened the case and "cleaned" the circuit board without the cover on the buttons worked fine even the power button worked...but i`ve put the cover back and to be honest there is very little improvement...whats this "trick" with sliver paper do you insert a small peice of silver paper between the rubber and the circuit board?? what did you search for... remotes ?? i searched for echostar 3000 remote and the only one was the £69
    thanks again for the replies

V.I.P
    Thanks
    170179278617 (Hope this doesn't break any rules - if so, please delete, and accept my apologies!)

Less than £25 delivered.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Or type "Echostar 3000" into www.e*ay.de and you can buy the remote with a spare receiver. These receivers usually fetch next to nothing now!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by consolglass View Post
    cheers I`ve opened the case and "cleaned" the circuit board without the cover on the buttons worked fine even the power button worked...but i`ve put the cover back and to be honest there is very little improvement...whats this "trick" with sliver paper do you insert a small peice of silver paper between the rubber and the circuit board?? what did you search for... remotes ?? i searched for echostar 3000 remote and the only one was the £69
    thanks again for the replies
    You must also clean the rubber part of the remote. Before you go and buy a new remote; open up your remote again and clean the rubber part. Clean each rubber contact with "cotton buds on a stick". When you look at the rubber part, you will know what Im talking about. If that doesnt work and you want to save yourself a few ££s. Then stick some foil to each rubber contact thats not working.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    You can clean the rubber pad with warm water and washing up liquid (put it in the sink and give it va gentle rub), then dry with a hair dryer. Finish by wiping with meths/alcohol on a clean cloth (not one used for polishing. Then put it back together, and if there's still problems, use Bulmer's tip with the foil.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Seem to remember we went through this saga some twelve months ago. When new, the pads on the remote have a layer of graphite on the tips.Over time especially with high humudities, the graphite wears off giving the problems above. Cleaning does nothing except remove even more of the graphite so is not a cure. The three most favoured repairs were . 1. Use a Very soft graphite pencil on the pads. 2. Use pure silver paint ( used for Printed cct land repairs) on the tips. 3. Use a hole punch on a sheet of kitchen foil, and stick the resultant foil disks to the rubber tips using instant glue. If using methods 2 or 3 you do have to clean the tips first, to ensure the paint/glue sticks to the pads.

Hamrag1

V.I.P
    Thanks
    "Cleaning does nothing except remove even more of the graphite so is not a cure."
    Depends on the cause of the problem. If the graphite has worn away, then no, it definitely won't help. If the problem is a build up of deposits, maybe grease or nicotine, or spillage of liquids onto the remote, then yes, it does cure the problem, so well worth a try.

In the beeches
    Thanks
    The ebāy remotes are not the Echostar originals despite what they say. You can get the same copies for €21 (=£15) delivered from Holland at perfect.nu. Don't worry about ordering from Holland, they are 100% reliable.

If the ebāy sellers are getting their remotes from Holland they are making a tidy profit.