Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sirius 5E dish size

Thanks
    I checked that channel at around 20:00 and I was only getting around 59% with alot of breakups and yet at 22:00 the signal was coming in with no breakups at around 63%. Sirius is so tempermental.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eyeintheair View Post
    I checked that channel at around 20:00 and I was only getting around 59% with a lot of breakups and yet at 22:00 the signal was coming in with no breakups at around 63%. Sirius is so tempermental.
    You getting the picture then. My 105x100 is not up to the task of receiving it.
    1.6m am coming to you
    I'll post photos when am ready

Quote Originally Posted by gov400 View Post
    Viasat comes in fine when i last checked 1 month ago
    Most channels but not the bitchy ones

Thanks
    You must remember that the "cut off point" for every receiver/tuner is different. On my very very old Humax F1, it was around 20% (I am talking SNR here), DM7000 was about 60%, DM7020 with a Philips tuner about 65% and now with the Apls tuner around 73%. Dreambox is stupid, but 73% on Dreambox will show as 20% on my Humax - it's all relative.

Also, a lot depends on SNR and FEC. TPs with FEC of 7/8 will need more signal than the one with 3/4 as 7/8 has less data for error correction, while a data stream with FEC of 3/4 has 75% data and 25% EC. I remember on my Nokia 9600 the cut off point for most things was about 3A (in hex!), but some weird channels on western satellites had an FEC of 1/2 (which meant that half the signal was used for EC) were locked on at signal level of around 14!

Back to Sirius - it's a pain in the bum satellite as most horizontal channels are stronger than vertical. I have a 1.25m Gibertini dish in Wiltshire and can receive most horizontal channels during the day and only one vertical (11747) in the evening. That's on Nordic beam of course. Note that the signal is also stronger in the winter than in the summer - don't know why...

Banned
    Thanks
    80cm in west midlands = 60% to 80%, no breakups but then again there isnt any keys for the channels on sirius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12