Thread: Raspberry PI 4 - HomeAssistant - local voice activation question?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,798 Times in 1,937 Posts

Raspberry PI 4 - HomeAssistant - local voice activation question?

Firstly it's nice to see a new section! thanks mods/admin.

I've had an 8gb Raspberry Pi 4 for sometime and lots of smart sockets in my house. I also have a couple of Google home speakers and apps on my phone which I was using to control them. I decided to cancel VM broadband as the prices they were wanting for internet was ludicrous compared to the deals you can get by just using a sim card in your old phone (which you can share via your router) and then have unlimted 5g/texts/calls for around about 20 a month compared to 57 (which they wanted to up my bill to) from virigin for just the internet!

OK now imagine if you don't have any internet but you do have a wireless router already in your house, it's still possible to use the smart sockets locally via your phone and via an app or by using web browser if you reflash them with alternative firmware - such as Tasmota firmware and connect them via wireless to a Raspberry Pi running home assistant (local server). Which works pretty well, you can even get them to work with your google home speakers if you decided to use interent with these, but for offline we need to set up our own local voice assistant using home assistant addons called whisper/piper/openwakeword/microphone addon and plug a usb microphone and speaker into the Raspberry pi. I've installed all these addons, followed the guides etc but for some reason I can't get the microphone to register my voice when I speak which is where I am stuck. Does anyone here have this setup working and what microphone did you use? I've tried a guitar hero usb mic and a couple of different web cams which show up in the microphone addon. For some reason It's the wyoming protocol that's giving me issues by not automatically registering piper or whisper. I'm at the point now where everything is working apart from the voice assistant and am about to wipe and reflash the raspberry pi and start again unless someone here can help. I'll probably do this tonight at some point if nobody replies by then and I'll let you know how I get on.
    Last edited by mrdude; 09-02-2024 at 08:33 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

3tv (09-02-2024), catseye (08-02-2024), hda5 (08-02-2024), manic01 (09-02-2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,110 Times in 683 Posts
    I don't know if these links are any use to you or not, mate.

Code:
    https://community.home-assistant.io/t/raspberry-pi-as-a-ha-voice-assist-chapter-4-satellite/632671

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/year-of-the-voice-chapter-5/655319
    Please help support the future of the forum by making a donation. Click this link to donate, thank you. https://www.satpimps.co.uk/vbdonate.php?do=donate

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hda5 For This Useful Post:

manic01 (09-02-2024), mrdude (08-02-2024)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanks, I've decided to get an m5stack atom echo to use as the microphone and speaker now as it's pretty easy to set up, small and there's decent tutorials on how to get it working. Also it's usb c powererd so I can just use it anywhere and plug it into a phone charger or the Pi to power it.

Thanks for replying though, those links do provide some valuable information.
    Last edited by mrdude; 09-02-2024 at 01:29 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

hda5 (08-02-2024), manic01 (09-02-2024)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Just an update, I managed to get the guitar hero usb mic to work - kind off, in home assistant. In settings/voice assistants you need to click on expose and then click on expose entities and then select - assist microphone Assist pipeline, and all your smart sockets. At that point it worked, but only once - then you needed to restart the microphone for each command so either I've done something wrong or the software is buggy.

Anyway the Atom stack should be here tomorrow or saturday so I'll let you know how I get on with that as it's a better option for me. Once that's working I will then start working on getting it all working with chatGPT.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

hda5 (09-02-2024)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Well the m5 stack echo turned up today pre flashed with ESP home firmware so it litteraly took about 10 seconds to set up and get working, once I figured I needed to change a setting once you finished speaking:

It's tiny. My big toe is about twice the size of it so it was worth the money (12). I've got some esp32-s2 and esp32-s3 boards so I'll flash those with the same software base and get an i2s amp and is2 microphone that I can use with one of these boards and make my own smart speaker next that I can use with it. Also that should work with chatGPT, also there's open AI which can also work. For those that are interested:

Code:
    https://github.com/LAION-AI/Open-Assistant
    For those that wish to see how OpenAI works offline as your own AI chat bot you get demo here: (just type in anything you want to know)
    Code:
    https://chat.lmsys.org/
    Last edited by mrdude; 11-02-2024 at 12:05 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

hda5 (11-02-2024)