Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was someone looking for jack actuator ?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,260 Times in 3,582 Posts
    Yes after seeing your pic of it, its completely different and will not fit so nothing can be used with what I have here now.

But Thank You for trying.

Ian.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,046 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Jesus thats old ! But at least it will be genuine.

I need someone like Cosworth or maybe Barney or anyone whos been motorised longer than me that may have had dealings with that type of actuator to take a look at that photo because that actuator is from even before I went motorised back in 1985.

It appears to have 4 wires for whatever is doing the job of the reed switch and modern Vboxes only supply 5v to the reed through 2 wires so i dont know how it could be configured to work. Even though my cable out to the dish has enough wires to feed it, the Vbox doesnt.

It is however the mechanical side of it that I require rather than the motor and gearing. Can you undo the bolt holding the gearing and motor to the actuator arm please and pull the gearing off and take a look at how the inner arm is turned. I need it to be a flat spade type connection. Perhaps take a picture of this too if you dont mind.

Here is a better view of your photo, but I doubt we have many members left on here these days who have been motorised from before 1985 when I got my first dish and actuator, which even then used a reed.

Ian.
    I can remember someone doing a mod years ago , but cannot recall if it was from a old receiver pulse built in to run a reed actuator or vice versa .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

ian (25-11-2023)

Thanks

Icon6

had a first recr that you turned a knob to change frequency analog, can not remember its name ,then amstrad 20 channel,and ayear later bought a kit that altered it to 20 channels,then pace brought out a better recr,then came a pace multisat recr that had no memery,lose the mains and you had to retune all sats and stations,then came uniden a good recr with a seperate uniden positioner box,had to move dish with the positioner then use the recr to pick the channel, then came,echostar 4500,then5500 had them all.dish lnbs had a polar rotor which changed from horizontal to vertical polarity and every angle inbetween,then came the digital boxes,had a number of them and loads of cams just my history of satellite,can you beat this ?
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 25-11-2023 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,182 Times in 1,177 Posts
    Actually after a good think I do kind of remember ( maybe ) using all 4 wires that I have in my cable for the pulse, I think thats what my old Chapel Cheyenne and Echostar 4500 used to run the actuator, but it was sooooooo long ago, 38yrs lol, so I could be fooling myself. I do remember all of those channels on those sats you mention though I even remember Sky being on for just 2 hours a day on an Intelsat craft ( I think at 18W ) and just being called The Sky Channel. Ah the good old days eh ? Such fun back then.

After much thought I think I would be better off just replacing the bearing in the one I currently have, the whole idea was just to have a backup to just bolt on when this one fails then I could do the bearing whenever, due to time restraints. But I think it would cost more time getting yours to work lol if its even possible.

But many thanks for looking, its been very interesting seeing that old actuator. Hopefully Malsat will come up trumps yet, if not then I may just have to buy a knock off Chinese one. Grrrrrrrrr

Ian.
    Scary
    What was you doing 38 years ago

V.I.P
    Thanks
    lol

I was 21 so driving fast cars and bikes, tapping up even faster women and 24 hour partying at the Hacienda and the like at the weekends and most likely off my face on Ecstasy most of the time too. We were all Toni Wilsons 24 hour party people lol

Feels like yesterday as well. Cant even have more than 3 pints these days without being knackered the next day at work let alone stay out raving for 24hours then go straight to work the following Monday having partied all weekend.

Its frightening how quickly the time has gone. Still using the exact same dish and mount though from 1985, but thats all thats left from the original installation. I was one of what was commonly known as Thatchers childeren back then so I was loaded like everyone was back in the mid to late 80's. Money and excess were everywhere. It was a great time to young be honest.

Hence buying all the sat gear. It cost a flaming fortune back then too, not like it is today, for example I remember buying a new 0.8db LNB to replace the 1.1db one I had and that cost 180, you can get 0.1db LNB's today for about a tenner lol. And for sat recievers you didnt get any change out of 500-600 for an average one, top of the range like the Chaparral Monterey were around 1000 but if you wanted the full spec it came to about 1300

I think my Chaparral Chayanne cost me about 750

It was an extremely expensive hobby back then. But as I said everyone was loaded back then too.

Ian.
    Last edited by ian; 26-11-2023 at 06:23 PM.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

catseye (26-11-2023), JOE.MADDISON (26-11-2023), Satcat (27-11-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Well my bearing as now failed today as I expected it would.

In cobbling together a temporary one from all the actuator bits I have I've somehow managed to lose the reed in the garden somewhere and I cant find a replacement for love nor money where the shipping isnt ridiculous.

So I thought right I will get some generic ones from our favorite auction site, but I dont know if I need to get ones that are normally open or normally closed.

Anyone on here know please ?

Deffo in need of a new actuator now though, so if anyone sees one..................

Ian.

EDIT Been forced into buying one from E-b-a-y, not happy, probably only get 2 years out of it if im lucky cause im sure it will be knock off.
    Last edited by ian; 09-12-2023 at 06:24 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

catseye (09-12-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    @ Crabber

Just started using the actuator you re-engineered for me and it works a treat.

My intention was to only use it till the new one came in order to keep me motorised, but its so silent and smooth with all the new brass parts that I may keep using it till it dies, and keep the new one as spare for when it does because this one also has a brand new bearing too, which will be far better quality than what the new one has.

Just thought I'd let you know buddy.

Ian.
    Last edited by ian; 10-12-2023 at 04:33 PM.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

3tv (10-12-2023), catseye (14-12-2023), JOE.MADDISON (11-12-2023), manic01 (24-12-2023)

Thanks
    the reed switch ,buy a surface mounted burglar door/window contact ,remove the reed from that and bobs your uncle,cost about 2

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

ian (11-12-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes thats exactly what I'm using right now, I pinched it from one of the upstairs contacts for the house alarm.

However, I still need to purchase some generic ones so I can put this one back and then have a few spares too, but I still cannot ascertain if the ones used in an actuator are normally open or normally closed ?

I think Mr Dude mentioned this once somewhere, but I'm buggered if I can find where.

Ian.
    Last edited by ian; 11-12-2023 at 07:49 AM.

Thanks
    normaly open

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

ian (12-12-2023)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    normaly open
    Are you sure on this , i would go the opposite way as when the actuator toggle presses the switch it cuts the motor power but been so long since i looked at one i would not put money on it

@Ian i may have some in the garage i pulled from a load of actuators i scrapped a good while back will look the weekend (maybe before if i get time) if you do still need any ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

ian (13-12-2023)

Thanks
    Regarding normaly open or normlay closed I wouldn't think it would make any difference -- it's the counting that matters sending pulses out.
    If it did matter then the rotating magnet would make sure the switch would be open or close at rest in whatever position the memory sent the dish to.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oscar For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (13-12-2023), ian (13-12-2023)

Thanks
    Ignore my reply i was thinking of the actual switches at the motor travel that limits the movement , when you said open or closed .

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

oscar (13-12-2023)

Thanks
    I took the switch cams off and rely on the V-box to throw up an error when the jack hits the end of it's travel !
    Doesn't happen often .

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Me too

Its not like it used to be when positioners were inside sat boxes and continued to try to drive the dish past its limits. I've even bent mount arms in the past.

These days the Vbox instantly throws the E2 error upon anything preventing movement, so setting software limits is plenty but even this isnt really needed anymore and removing the cams allows for a bit more travel.

Thanks Cossie, yes have a look if you find time please, proper ones will always be better, but if not generic ones are as cheap as chips on E-B-A-Y

I cant believe the original one just fell out during the walk from the dish to the kitchen with the failed actuator in my hands, so finding it will be impossible. This reed is the push fit type you see, nothing soldered. So any reeds will have to be the correct length so the ends can then be bent 90 degrees to just push into the circuit board and thats all that holds it in place.

Ian.
    Last edited by ian; 14-12-2023 at 10:09 AM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (14-12-2023)

Thanks
    add a little no more nails or similar to hold in place

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    add a little no more nails or similar to hold in place
    No it floats if you get my meaning. The only connection to the circuit board are the metal contacts at each end of the reed switch.

Ian.

Thanks
    yes when i used the jacks every so often i would get error readings,and found reed was slack in its sockets,put reed back in added a dab of no more naila at each end of reed to hold it to board and never got any more error readings

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

ian (15-12-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Yes I take your point, when the weather gets a bit better and I get round to purchasing some generic reeds I may get the extension lead out and place a blob of solder on each contact point at each end of the read. That would have stopped me losing the original in the garden lol

I've attached pics of what Crabber did to refurbish my actuator if anyones interested.

It may give others ideas when fixing their own. You can clearly see the grub screws he's used to hold the new bearing in place and how he's fabricated a brass collar to replace the nylon nut which is what failed on this particular actuator. The bearing was ok on this one but it made sense to replace it anyway for the sake of 3

He told me it was impossible to find a rod with the thread used in actuators so he had to replace that too with one that had a standard thread.

I still cant believe I went and spent 70 on a new one because I forgot about this one in the back bedroom, but hey at least I now have a new spare and they are getting harder and harder to come by.

Ian.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ian; 15-12-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Thanks
    Me too

Its not like it used to be when positioners were inside sat boxes and continued to try to drive the dish past its limits. I've even bent mount arms in the past.

These days the Vbox instantly throws the E2 error upon anything preventing movement, so setting software limits is plenty but even this isnt really needed anymore and removing the cams allows for a bit more travel.

Thanks Cossie, yes have a look if you find time please, proper ones will always be better, but if not generic ones are as cheap as chips on E-B-A-Y

I cant believe the original one just fell out during the walk from the dish to the kitchen with the failed actuator in my hands, so finding it will be impossible. This reed is the push fit type you see, nothing soldered. So any reeds will have to be the correct length so the ends can then be bent 90 degrees to just push into the circuit board and thats all that holds it in place.

Ian.
    Sorry just checked and ive thrown them all out all the bits i have keep nothing probably worth while , on the positive side i found a brand new channel master polar mount KA band lnb and a smart switch , think i will have to ebay the mount when i check everything is there for it.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

ian (15-12-2023)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12