Thread: Vu+ Ultimo 4K Largest Size HDD You can install is 16TB

Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 659 Posts

Vu+ Ultimo 4K Largest Size HDD You can install is 16TB

This might be helpful to anyone who's thinking of adding a large size Hard Disk Drive to their Vu+ 4K STB. The maximum size HDD appears to be 16TB.

A friend of mine bought a 20TB 3.5" HDD to install in his Vu+ Ultimo 4K box, to replace the current 8TB drive I'd installed for him, a few years ago. He asked me if I would install the new 20TB drive for him. I could not get the new 20TB drive to initialise in the ViX image menu because, it turns out, the maximum size HDD seems to be 16TB. I wish I'd known this before I agreed to install this damn drive. So there is no way from within the image menu to initialise the drive as it just gives some error message because the drive size is too big. So I had to put the 20TB drive into a caddy and plug it into my Laptop that runs Ubuntu Linux OS.

In Ubuntu, I first tried partitioning the drive to two separate partitions of 9.1TB each. I put the HDD back in the Vu+ 4K and it only recognised one partition. The 2nd partition would not mount using the ViX image or via Telnet. In Telnet you get a mount: file to large error message.

I read, after doing a bit of Googling, something about needing a 64-bit kernel to use a file system larger than 16TB, due to page cache limitation. So I'm guessing the Vu+ 4K boxes use a 32-bit kernel?

So I put the drive back into the caddy, put it back in the Laptop and partitioned the drive as one partition but changed the partition size to 16TB. I then put the drive back in the Vu+ Ultimo 4K and it now recognises the drive and allows me to mount it to /media/hdd.

So I thought I'd write this as a warning to anyone who's thinking of upgrading to a larger HDD size. Don't buy anything larger than a 16TB drive or you'll have problems.

I used a program called gparted on my Laptop running Ubuntu for easy GUI partitioning; you can get it by typing the following into the Ubuntu terminal window...

Code:
    sudo apt install gparted y
    16 TB = 15258789 MiB. You'll need that for gparted, if you're trying to use a larger than 16TB HDD in your Vu+ 4K box and need to shrink the partition down to 16TB.

I spent way more time than I expected messing with this HDD, so I decided to write this to save someone else all the headache, should they decide to go large.
    Please help support the future of the forum by making a donation. Click this link to donate, thank you. https://www.satpimps.co.uk/vbdonate.php?do=donate

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hda5 For This Useful Post:

Bod (05-04-2023), CokeAddict (06-04-2023), crabber (05-04-2023), Dig Deep (05-04-2023), dog-man (05-04-2023), filmfan46 (14-04-2023), mickd (04-04-2023), nml (04-04-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,923 Posts
    Interesting, I would have assumed patitioning would have been fine! However I've never seen a 20TB hard drive and didn't even know they went that high. Biggest one I own is 4TB. Can you not put the drive in a NAS or make a raspberry PI NAS for cheap, format and partition the drive and mount via USB connected to the NAS or use wired/wireless NAS smb or ciffs? That way you should be able to use the full 20TB on it, and can use it for other things in your house as well such as nvdia shield/computer etc. I've got a Synology NAS and can use that No problem on my VU 4K Solo for watching movies and listening to music etc, for recording I have a 1TB drive installed inside the stb. You can record straight to NAS though as well (see here)

Code:
    https://www.linuxsat-support.com/thread/9871-using-nas-to-record/?postID=36003#post36003
    Last edited by mrdude; 05-04-2023 at 11:59 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

hda5 (05-04-2023), nml (06-04-2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 659 Posts
    Just a follow on from my first post, I found an easier way of partitioning the drive without having to remove it from the Vu+ Ultimo 4K and connect it to my laptop running Ubuntu. I only removed the drive because I couldn't use the fdisk command in Telnet on ViX, fdisk isn't there. I learned today that fdisk has been replaced with sfdisk on ViX image, so I could have sorted the drive via Telnet whilst the drive was still inside the Vu+ but I'm old skool and only knew about fdisk.

So to get it working with the drive inside the Vu+ 4K, using Telnet on the ViX image, I did the following.

Code:
    ls -ltr /dev/sd*
    This will give you the /dev/sda or sdb info you need. The one I was working on was /dev/sda

I needed to make two partitions on this 20TB HDD.

Partition One will be 4TB. (4000000000 Kilobyte = 4TB)

Partition Two will be 16TB. (16000000000 kilobyte = 16TB)

A third partition will be created, using the method below, with whatever space is left over on the drive.

Open up Telnet and type the following...

Code:
    sfdisk /dev/sda << EOF
    You'll now see a > character. Here is where you enter the partition size info. Press return after each line below. Each of the first two lines start with a ,

Code:
    ,4000000000KiB
    ,16000000000KiB
    ;
    EOF
    Once the partitioning has finished you'll see three partitions like:
    /dev/sda1
    /dev/sda2
    /dev/sda3

I'm only interested in partition two, the 16TB partition.

Now I type the following to format the 16TB partition to ext4.

Code:
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
    Once the format is complete, I'm finished with Telnet. I could mount the drive via Telnet but I prefer to do it in the ViX menu.

On the Vu+

Press Menu -> Setup -> ViX
    Select Mount manager
    Select the middle drive in the list (the one on /dev/sda2 in my example) and Press the RED button to mount as /media/hdd

And that's it.

The two other partitions aren't usable at this stage but if you wanted to use them you could mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1 and the same for sda3 and then use the Mount manager in ViX to mount them to /media/hdd2 and /media/hdd3.

Hopefully this info will save someone a lot of headache, if ever in the same boat. I wasn't able to find any info on the forum about it; I guess not many people have tried installing a larger than 16TB HDD before. So thought I'd share my findings with you, guys.
    Please help support the future of the forum by making a donation. Click this link to donate, thank you. https://www.satpimps.co.uk/vbdonate.php?do=donate

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hda5 For This Useful Post:

007.4 (05-04-2023), CokeAddict (06-04-2023), filmfan46 (14-04-2023), mrdude (05-04-2023), nml (06-04-2023)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,923 Posts
    You should also make a swap file - but I guess you already know that. But well done anyway, I'm glad you got there in the end.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

hda5 (06-04-2023)