Thread: HD (1080) on Sky transmissions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts

HD (1080) on Sky transmissions

Has anyone else noticed how poor Sky TV transmissions which are supposed to be in 'HD' quality are very poor and more like basic 'SD' quality more and more nowadays?
    e.g. I was watching BBC Breakfast TV, then Olympics on BBC1 using Sky Q HD box and quality was so obviously in SD - yet same broadcast on terrestrial Freeview arial was much nearer the HD quality.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how poor Sky TV transmissions which are supposed to be in 'HD' quality are very poor and more like basic 'SD' quality more and more nowadays?
    e.g. I was watching BBC Breakfast TV, then Olympics on BBC1 using Sky Q HD box and quality was so obviously in SD - yet same broadcast on terrestrial Freeview arial was much nearer the HD quality.
    freesat and terrestrial pq is the same, as theres limited BBC terrestrial bandwidth sat bitrates were brought inline to match.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I was watching a stream from Hong Kong the other week, and compared it with BT Sport on 28e showing the same footy game, and the HK stream was hands down a better picture. The difference between UHD and HD on Sly sports is quite dramatic now, probably why the HD pictures appear to be 'dumbed down' nowadays.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    "freesat and terrestrial pq is the same" no way Jose, I watch both at different times and the terrestrial HD is much much better.

Sty TV HD picture quality is awfull mainly because of the fact that they are selling UHD so they make HDTV look worse so peeps will pay to upgrade to get the quality back that Sty lowered to make UHD more appealing, they did it before when they were premoting HDTV over SD when it first came out, they have previous !

One of the reason HD looks so bad is that all the football matches are shot and processed in UHD at all venues these days, HDTV is a downscaled format conversion that does not convert very well, UHD is a very high contrast format to make the pictures look more vibrant, the downside of this is all the bright colours in the HD conversion look completely burned out, the compression makes a complete mess of it.

HDTV picture quality is an afterthought which is starange given that the large majority of viewers watch in HD, Sty is all about quantity not quality.

(Joseph Stalin's comment fighting against his previous ally Germany in the second world war that "Quantity has a Quality all of its own" !) media barons obviously believe the same.
    Last edited by TonyO; 16-02-2022 at 12:49 PM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

Barney (14-02-2022), DJSat79 (17-02-2022), holmroad (14-02-2022)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Sky have no control over BBC PQ. record the same program on both platforms, something like match of the day. I can gaurantee the pq will look ****e on sat and terrestrial. Like i said due to bandwidth limits the bitrates had to be reduced to be more inline with the terrestrial broadcasts, its a lose lose.
    I watched the Last World Cup in 720p. Fox US had HD feeds on 16e, they destroyed the BBC and itv's 1080i offerings. Ive always choosen the feed option when possible.

watched a bit of sky f1 last year and thought it looked ropey, a far cry from a few years ago.

as for UHD down converted to HD, it can look stellar but they wont want that otherwise nobody will buy it so it will get filtered.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    "freesat and terrestrial pq is the same" no way Jose, I watch both at different times and the terrestrial HD is much much better.

Sty TV HD picture quality is awfull mainly because of the fact that they are selling UHD so they make HDTV look worse so peeps will pay to upgrade to get the quality back that Sty lowered to make UHD more appealing, they did it before when they were premoting HDTV over SD when it first came out, they have previous !

One of the reason HD looks so bad is that all the football matches are shot and processed in UHD at all venues these days, HDTV is a downscaled format conversion that does not convert very well, UHD is a very high contrast format to make the pictures look more vibrant, the downside of this is all the bright colours in the HD conversion look completely burned out, the compression makes a complete mess of it.

HDTV picture quality is an afterthought which is starange given that the large majority of viewers watch in HD, Sty is all about quantity not quality.

(Joseph Stalin's comment fighting against his previous ally Germany in the second world war that "Quantity has a Quality all of its own" !) media barons obviously believe the same.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

DJSat79 (17-02-2022), holmroad (16-02-2022)