Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Etherium mining.

Thanks
    I have been dithering about buying a new PC for some time, as mine is quite old now and not Windows 11 friendly, even though still quite a powerful computer, I have taken the plunge and have a new and more powerful one arriving tomorrow. It includes an RTX 3090 graphics card. I will probably take that out and swap it with another computer which has a 1080 Ti to use for mining. If it only gives me some extra cash to treat my grandson every christmas, I will be happy. I have read all the horror stories regarding mining taking it's toll on cards, so will be looking to under-volt it in the hope that it solves the issue.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    I have been dithering about buying a new PC for some time, as mine is quite old now and not Windows 11 friendly, even though still quite a powerful computer, I have taken the plunge and have a new and more powerful one arriving tomorrow. It includes an RTX 3090 graphics card. I will probably take that out and swap it with another computer which has a 1080 Ti to use for mining. If it only gives me some extra cash to treat my grandson every christmas, I will be happy. I have read all the horror stories regarding mining taking it's toll on cards, so will be looking to under-volt it in the hope that it solves the issue.
    For ETH you underclock them, apart from the memory which benifits from an over clock. Some other coins need more power to mine efficiently.
    Last edited by 3tv; 12-10-2021 at 07:58 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

dog-man (22-08-2021)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    nice to see a big drop off. the miners clean up. btc to $40k?

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    just checking eth transaction fees. $68 ffs. Does nice hash do free coinbase transfers? might be worth switching to nicehash even though the mining reward will be lower you should save that in fee's

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    use hiveos and 2miners.com they do batch payouts (low fees) and its low payout threshold,

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    i'll get payout at $500 sux to lose $58 in eth fee's. Puts me off buying any NFT's also

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    For ETH you underclock them, apart from the memory which benifits from an over clock. Some other coins need more power to mine efficiently.
    Any idea what is the best prog to underclock and overclock the memory/

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Any idea what is the best prog to underclock and overclock the memory/
    most mining software has the options. i use trex absolute core clock to get max hash rate at min power. God help us next april when the utility companies up there price cap :(

i use afterburner to set the mem over clock as you can fiddle with it without having to restart the miner software each time.

old 2080ti hashing 60.5/61mh @ 143w
    Last edited by 3tv; 12-10-2021 at 07:57 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

dog-man (12-10-2021)

Thanks
    most mining software has the options. i use trex absolute core clock to get max hash rate at min power. God help us next april when the utility companies up there price cap :(

i use afterburner to set the mem over clock as you can fiddle with it without having to restart the miner software each time.

old 2080ti hashing 60.5/61mh @ 143w
    I will be using an EVGA 3090 XC3ULTRA which arrives tommorrow. I will put it in an old computer which isn't used much. It has a powerful power supply.
    Last edited by dog-man; 12-10-2021 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks
    I assume that it is best to use a computer that is solely being used for mining and nothing else?

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    I assume that it is best to use a computer that is solely being used for mining and nothing else?
    running a single card in a spare pc isnt very effective on power saving. My 2080ti happily runs in my main PC. Im not a gamer so it mines 24/7

if you have a bunch of gpus then it would then be viable to have a dedicated pc/rig just for mining.

buying cards for mining still isnt cost effective atm, everything is either over priced or the cards are LHR restricted. there are work arounds with dual mining but still not as efficient as none lhr
    Last edited by 3tv; 12-10-2021 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts
    I will be using an EVGA 3090 XC3ULTRA which arrives tommorrow. I will put it in an old computer which isn't used much. It has a powerful power supply.
    Same Gpu im running , hope you got plenty of cooling found it throttles very fast as soon as temps start to rise maybe i got a dodgy one , i water cooled it and sits at 50' making 118 mh/s it will go higher if you want to push it but even water cooled they it gets very hot and crashes as soon as room temps start to rise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Same Gpu im running , hope you got plenty of cooling found it throttles very fast as soon as temps start to rise maybe i got a dodgy one , i water cooled it and sits at 50' making 118 mh/s it will go higher if you want to push it but even water cooled they it gets very hot and crashes as soon as room temps start to rise.
    From what I have read, there was a problem with the early cards where poor soldering and a few other issues that I can't remember at the moment were causing overheating and even bits dropping off, so I believe.
    I have had to wait almost 2 months to get this card after ordering, so hope that it is a card made after the faults were ironed out.
    I believe that a bios update cures some of the issues, obviously not the poor soldering.

Fingers crossed.

I didn' buy this card just for mining, I bought a new computer system which came with this card.

Thanks
    From what I have read, there was a problem with the early cards where poor soldering and a few other issues that I can't remember at the moment were causing overheating and even bits dropping off, so I believe.
    I have had to wait almost 2 months to get this card after ordering, so hope that it is a card made after the faults were ironed out.
    I believe that a bios update cures some of the issues, obviously not the poor soldering.

Fingers crossed.

I didn' buy this card just for mining, I bought a new computer system which came with this card.
    Hopefully it will be ok , the early problem was with the thermal pads if i remember correct.
    let us know how it goes , its made me good money the last few months .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    Hopefully it will be ok , the early problem was with the thermal pads if i remember correct.
    let us know how it goes , its made me good money the last few months .
    Do you use a computer purely for mining or the same one you would use on a daily basis?

Thanks
    Do you use a computer purely for mining or the same one you would use on a daily basis?
    This pc I'm using now , has 2 gpu's both mining 2070 super/ 3090 , 3090 in second slot so main gpu is the 2070 , they are both water cooled as well as the cpu.

Watching videos (i don't do much gaming) does drop the speed they hash at , worst i find is pokerstars .

2070 is in the top slot ,was thinking at the time it would not would restrict the mining on the 3090 but does still affect it .
    Attached Images Attached Images

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

dog-man (14-10-2021)

Thanks
    Sorry used daily on 24 hours with cctv , could not turn the photo but you will get the idea

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

dog-man (14-10-2021)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    hash rate drops a little while using the pc for browsing/youtube etc but returns normal once im not using it. I only shut the miner down when using photoshop/lightroom.

for the most part its ticking away earning 24/7, over the months its soon adds up. Anyone with a gpu sat idle is letting $$$ pass them by.

Evga were offering purchasers aditional thermal pads as they knew there cards had issues.

Some sites have sneaky miner code hidden in them so when your browsing they are stealing your hashing power, only in small amounts but if they do this to millions off users it will add up. Theres a chrome extension called nocoin which stops that though.
    Last edited by 3tv; 13-10-2021 at 10:41 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (13-10-2021), dog-man (14-10-2021)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Eth at $4k to hodl or sell, thats the dilemma.

Thanks
    Eth at $4k to hodl or sell, thats the dilemma.
    How long did that take?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast