Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone playing about with stock market shares?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,314 Times in 2,047 Posts

Anyone playing about with stock market shares?

I've put this in Vip see how it goes , i set up 2 weeks ago after one of my customer's said he doing well , i had no idea what the hell to do but gave it a go on site called trading 212 .

i put in £300 and doubled it in about 2 weeks with no idea what was worth anything.

Anyone else use it ?

Thanks
    Wow, well best of luck with that. I am such a sceptic about most things and usually think that anything sounding too good to be true probably is.
    I can remember being told by a very enthusiastic person that he had "a computer program that told him what to buy" and he was making a fortune. I don't know whether he went bankrupt or not but I remember thinking at the time that if it were that simple everyone would be doing it.
    I was employed by BT when shares were sold off, all employees could buy shares at a discount, unfortunately I didn't have any money then so could only buy a limited number. We used to be given shares as a wage top up and I bought some more as they were going up. I was too greedy and slow to sell them as I wrongly thought they would continue to rise but they eventually fell heavily and I sold for a lot less than I would have got if I had sold sooner. This completely put me off shares and I have not had any since.
    You can probably tell that it is lockdown and I am sick of the crap on TV that I am bothering to tell you all this, I hope I have not bored you too much!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

cosworth4x4 (27-01-2021), gibson (28-01-2021)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,863 Times in 2,251 Posts
    Nah, I put some money into crypto back in 2018 and had a quick look at doing stocks markets, but seemed a bit complicated and then the arse fell out of the crypto market, so I revoked my interest in that and the stock markets lol.

I left the money in crypto and over the last week or so I am finally in profit again, but not sure if I should pull it out now, or leave it another year or 2 and see what happens.

When I sold my car the other month, I was offered payment of the value of my car in bitcoins, but as the market was down and as I sort of got bitten before I declined.

They have quadrupled in value since October 2020, I would have been laughing.

Thanks
    there is certainly money to be made out of the state of the world at the moment, but its a long game...

rolls royce suffering, all airlines siffering, hotels suffering, cinemas suffering - so a punt on any of those is worth it in my book.

dont forget buy low sell high - NOT the other way around.

Thanks
    Yeah its not crypto or anything similar , its the real world stock market .

ITS up and down , its what the banks invest you're money on with pensions etc and not always to the best as they not that worried about the return .

But its like lottery or horses DO NOT INVEST IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOSE IT ALL.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ManikM View Post
    there is certainly money to be made out of the state of the world at the moment, but its a long game...

rolls royce suffering, all airlines siffering, hotels suffering, cinemas suffering - so a punt on any of those is worth it in my book.

dont forget buy low sell high - NOT the other way around.
    I look at it the other way , fast turn around, putting money into stuff they using for batteries and pharmaceuticals , shares go up in a few days and sell.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Wow, well best of luck with that. I am such a sceptic about most things and usually think that anything sounding too good to be true probably is.
    I can remember being told by a very enthusiastic person that he had "a computer program that told him what to buy" and he was making a fortune. I don't know whether he went bankrupt or not but I remember thinking at the time that if it were that simple everyone would be doing it.
    I was employed by BT when shares were sold off, all employees could buy shares at a discount, unfortunately I didn't have any money then so could only buy a limited number. We used to be given shares as a wage top up and I bought some more as they were going up. I was too greedy and slow to sell them as I wrongly thought they would continue to rise but they eventually fell heavily and I sold for a lot less than I would have got if I had sold sooner. This completely put me off shares and I have not had any since.
    You can probably tell that it is lockdown and I am sick of the crap on TV that I am bothering to tell you all this, I hope I have not bored you too much!
    No its fine , dont think anyone can predict anything , its just better % than the banks, TOMMOROW I COULD BE CRYING , but like i stated don't invest what you cannot afford to lose .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cosworth4x4 For This Useful Post:

crabber (27-01-2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CokeAddict View Post
    Nah, I put some money into crypto back in 2018 and had a quick look at doing stocks markets, but seemed a bit complicated and then the arse fell out of the crypto market, so I revoked my interest in that and the stock markets lol.

I left the money in crypto and over the last week or so I am finally in profit again, but not sure if I should pull it out now, or leave it another year or 2 and see what happens.

When I sold my car the other month, I was offered payment of the value of my car in bitcoins, but as the market was down and as I sort of got bitten before I declined.

They have quadrupled in value since October 2020, I would have been laughing.
    I thought bitcoin was through the roof at the moment ?

_https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cosworth4x4 View Post
    I thought bitcoin was through the roof at the moment ?

_https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55658942

2 weeks ago it was about £31.5k, currently £22k

Yeh seen that article, he has no chance, the council either had it when he dumped it, or if not it won't bloody work now anyway silly c**t

Thanks
    2 weeks ago it was about £31.5k, currently £22k

Yeh seen that article, he has no chance, the council either had it when he dumped it, or if not it won't bloody work now anyway silly c**t
    Yeah no chance he will be allowed in to look for it , council would not know a hard drive from a empty can of coke once it goes in there , thinking about it they would not know the difference before it went in

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yeah no chance he will be allowed in to look for it , council would not know a hard drive from a empty can of coke once it goes in there , thinking about it they would not know the difference before it went in

Thanks
    Is something happening on the American stock market now? I ask because a couple of people I follow on you tube have recently made videos about it. Neither of them normally mention or are interested in shares. One repairs Macbooks (if Apple allow the manufacturers to sell him the parts) he is involved in the "right to repair movement" which I support. The other guy is an airline pilot who gives airline news and factually analyses crashes. His video today however is completely out of character and is entitled "The Big Short Squeeze" you may find it interesting, (or in my case annoying) as it deals with hedge funds betting on companies failure. Search for blancolirio to see what you think.
    Edit the other one is called Louis Rossmann who has released a video called "Brokers manipulating markets to save hedge fund billionaires"
    I think you will find this one interesting and amusing, it seems odd to me that nothing on our media about it.
    Another edit, I have found an article on bbc website called "anger as trading in GameStop shares is restricted, so it was just me not keep up with the news.
    Last edited by crabber; 28-01-2021 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    If you make a real killing, don't forget the taxman wants a big chunk of it (capital gains tax in the UK, I believe).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Is something happening on the American stock market now? I ask because a couple of people I follow on you tube have recently made videos about it. Neither of them normally mention or are interested in shares. One repairs Macbooks (if Apple allow the manufacturers to sell him the parts) he is involved in the "right to repair movement" which I support. The other guy is an airline pilot who gives airline news and factually analyses crashes. His video today however is completely out of character and is entitled "The Big Short Squeeze" you may find it interesting, (or in my case annoying) as it deals with hedge funds betting on companies failure. Search for blancolirio to see what you think.
    Edit the other one is called Louis Rossmann who has released a video called "Brokers manipulating markets to save hedge fund billionaires"
    I think you will find this one interesting and amusing, it seems odd to me that nothing on our media about it.
    Another edit, I have found an article on bbc website called "anger as trading in GameStop shares is restricted, so it was just me not keep up with the news.
    Yeah its causing a bit of a mess at the moment lots of other shares have crashed , im down a good bit at the moment , but they will loose money as the shares have today dropped from £400 to £200 per share last time i looked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Detlef View Post
    If you make a real killing, don't forget the taxman wants a big chunk of it (capital gains tax in the UK, I believe).
    i don't think i will be making a killing

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    but they will loose money as the shares have today dropped from £400 to £200 per share last time i looked.
    I doubt it, they will be co-ordinating a time to buy (pump the price up) and a time to dump (drop the price back down), so they will all sell within a few seconds of each other, thus they sell them at a high and those that are not in the loop (the hedge fund guys for example) loose money.

Thanks
    This is a fascinating story, reported quite a lot more on MSM now. I have read a piece about it on BBC website which is open for comments, most seem to be in favour of the "little guys" sticking it to the hedge funds. The general opinion of them seems to be that they are parasites who do no good for anyone apart from themselves.

Thanks
    I doubt it, they will be co-ordinating a time to buy (pump the price up) and a time to dump (drop the price back down), so they will all sell within a few seconds of each other, thus they sell them at a high and those that are not in the loop (the hedge fund guys for example) loose money.
    I'm totally new to this and only go by what people i know that have been doing it long time , but even if they co-ordinate it some will loose money , not counting the mass they say will (not online miss the message text to sell etc), we will see ive got no shares in them so im sort of safe

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    i set a buy in point with crytpo, and it will either never drop to it to trigger the buy or it will tank and end up way lower. The when it does pump i will sell and it keeps on pumping, i have a knack of not buying in low enough then selling way before the peak but i guess its better to make a little profit than loose a load.

Thanks
    This is the one they recon is going to rocket on Monday HCMC Healthier Choices Management Corp, they are at 0.0009 at the moment , I've put a few ££'s in will see what happens tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast