Thread: Colin Bell dead: Manchester City legend passes away aged 74

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Post Colin Bell dead: Manchester City legend passes away aged 74

Manchester City confirmed on Tuesday night that club legend Colin Bell - widely regarded as one of their greatest-ever players - had died aged 74
    Manchester City legend Colin Bell has died after a short illness, aged 74.

Bell spent 13 years as a player at Maine Road, winning both the first and second division titles as well as the FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners' Cup.
    He is widely regarded as one of City's greatest-ever players, scoring 117 goals in 394 league appearances from midfield, and was dubbed The King of the Kippax.
    Bell has a stand named in his honour at the Etihad Stadium.
    City said in a statement released on Tuesday night: "It is with the deepest sadness and heaviest of hearts we announce the passing of Manchester City legend Colin Bell.
    "Colin passed away peacefully this afternoon after a short, non-Covid related illness, aged 74. He leaves behind wife Marie, children Jon and Dawn and grandchildren, Luke, Mark, Isla and Jack.
    "He is widely regarded to be the finest City player of his generation, making 492 appearances and scoring 152 goals for the Club during a 13-year stay.
    "Few players have left such an indelible mark on City.
    "Known as Colin The King, in 2004 fans voted to name a stand inside the Etihad Stadium after him and his name is still sung regularly at matches."
    City will walk out in shirts from Bell's era in Wednesday night's Carabao Cup semi-final against Manchester United with the No.8 on the back.
    United posted their own tribute, tweeting: "All of us @ManUtd are deeply saddened by the passing of Colin Bell, a true footballing legend. Condolences to Colin’s loved ones and everyone @Man City. #ACityUnited."
    Bell played 48 times for England over a seven-year period, including at the 1970 World Cup, scoring nine goals.
    He also represented Bury and San Jose Earthquakes during his professional career.
    Former City star Shaun Goater posted: "@ManCity you have my deepest condolences to the Bell family. There will only ever be one King Colin Bell. RIP."
    Fellow ex-City player Paul Dickov added: "Devastated to hear of passing of Colin Bell... One of the greatest if not THE greatest player to ever wear the City shirt & more than anything the nicest & most humble man you could ever meet.
    "Thoughts, love & prayers to all the Bell family RIP Legend."
    City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak said: "Colin Bell will always be remembered as one of Manchester City’s greatest players and the very sad news today of his passing will affect everybody connected to our club.
    “I am fortunate to be able to speak regularly to his former manager and teammates, and it’s clear to me that Colin was a player held in the highest regard by all those who had the privilege of playing alongside him or seeing him play.
    "The passage of time does little to erase the memories of his genius. The fact that we have a stand at the Etihad Stadium named after Colin speaks volumes about the importance of his contribution to this club.
    “Colin was incredibly humble and a modest and understated man with an obvious inner strength of character. He was clearly comfortable with who he was and what he had achieved in the game.
    "For the rest of us, there is always the thought of what might have been if injury had not affected his career. Undoubtedly more trophies for City and far more than the 49 England caps to his name.
    “Our Club has lost a true great. Everyone’s thoughts and best wishes are with Colin’s family.”

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

Barney (05-01-2021), freebe (06-01-2021), gibson (06-01-2021), johnhenry (06-01-2021), maurice (05-01-2021)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    God what is going on!!!! R.I.P. Colin Bell condolences to the family.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maurice For This Useful Post:

Aldo (05-01-2021), Barney (05-01-2021), holmroad (05-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    RIP Colin Bell!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Aldo (06-01-2021)

Thanks
    He was the De Bruyne of his day. He was awesome.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

Aldo (06-01-2021), holmroad (06-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    R.I.P. Colin Bell, here is a poem that I have saw, which is a tribute to the late Colin Bell:

Nijinsky
    Nijinsky was the great Colin Bells nick name
    Football was his claim to fame
    A north east lad who started at bury
    Its been said to leave he was in no hurry
    Colin was liked by one and all
    And he could play superb football
    Colin in fact was a super athlete
    And not to bad with the ball at his feet
    Colin for me was one of the very best
    Yes he was head and shoulders above the rest
    Highly regarded by one and all
    It was a pleasure to watch Colin Bell play football
    Sadly yesterday
    The great Colin Bell passed away

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

holmroad (06-01-2021), johnhenry (06-01-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    @Aldo:- wow yes - I'd forgotten his nickname - happened to be the fastest nag of that era - no greater tribute to any man.
    RIP Colin AKA Nijinsky

12. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Aldo (07-01-2021)