Thread: SKY ultra fast broadband ?????

Thanks

Icon6 SKY ultra fast broadband ?????

had this broadband for a few years speed was about 20m at start but went down to 19 then17 and stayed at that for months,now last week i started a iptv service ,worked one day friday then off saturday,provider reset and worked again 10 mins then off,once again provider restored service ,to go off again a few mins later,provider of ip service said sky was blocking me,fitted a vpn router and service back up,then next day broadband went off 3 /or 4 times,my line speed now down to 13.5m is ths ultra fast or what.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts

Icon12

Ultra fast should mean +200mb minimum down and +50mb Up [ See my Screenshot Below ]
    Not 13-20mb Ultra Slow $hit broadband .
    my Speed remains +460mb for over 2 years now
    if you pay more than £5 per month for that crap speed its time you were telling them to shove it ,
    S-K-Y were always known to be the worst ISP by a country mile and well known to throttle hard too
    Any ISP That can not even provide fast enough speeds to stream 4K are just not worth wasting time over .
    Ultra Expensive and Ultra Slow is never ever the way to go now a days .
    "Believe in Better" was the Utter BS Slogan S-K-Y were using ....well i believe in much,much better
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    the problem is no providers will tell you the actual speed they will give you,sky tell me speed on my line has to drop down below 10m before action is needed ????

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    I'm on the cheapest fibre broadband, with talktalk, and even my speeds are download 37Mbps, upload 9.6Mbps.
    You must be paying more, with Ultra Fast, for less.

This is from their site advertisement:

Unleash the power of Sky Broadband Ultrafast

Do more on more devices, all at the same time.
    And with our Speed Guarantee as standard, you get the speed we promised or money back.
    With average download speed of 145Mbps and upload speed of 27Mbps, it’s great for:
    ✓ Uploading large content
    ✓ Live streams
    ✓ Hour-long gameplays without disrupting the rest of the house

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Barney (23-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    I don't know if this is a Europe wide problem but all of my broadband options have slowed.

When the home line slows to an annoying level, I usually swap to my mobile provider but even that has been well below spec in the last few days.

Several mainland Europe countries are now reverting to a lockdown or nighttime curfew which may be distorting overall usage.

Thanks
    SKY SAYS its super fast broadband im on its slower and can drop to 8m before its faulty,wan dropped out at 8.10 for 10 mins,while i was using bbc iplayerthere self test is showing you seam to have a problem....?? never ? speed down to 13.61down 1.1 up
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 23-10-2020 at 09:53 PM.

Thanks
    openreach came yesterday,did test and reset line back up and running at 19.5 but at 8.30 pm heavy rainstorm, and lost broadband for 1/2 hour ,so spent hours trying to get sky to resend openreach(engineer had said to report asap if went off again as he suspected an earth fault) tried telling this to two sky tec staff who did not want to know and hung up on me,took a lot of time to get through to complaints, and then a very civil engineer, who set up another openrech visit later in the week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-10-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,403 Posts
    I experienced a similar problem, years ago.
    Kept losing my broadband, had numerous openreach engineers calling round, and couldn't find the fault, finally I got an intelligent, older, openreach engineer, who actually brought a testing kit, tested the line and knew instantly that the fault was elsewhere,
    He tracked it down, at a junction, and repaired the problem, which was due to bad wiring, damaged by flooding, when it rained, at one of the boxes,
    Years of problems, and numerous visits, fixed in a few minutes.
    Not had a problem since.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-10-2020), JOE.MADDISON (26-10-2020)

Thanks
    Had the same problem 3 years ago and many visits by openreach non of them realy wanted to fix the fault,until one of the wires rotted through and killed the phone line,then they fixed it.now it has started again,this time speaking to sky is almost imposible

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I had a noise fault and dropping out last year on mine , it was checked and no fault found but cleared the fault, which then came back (as they do)

So last year after a router swap and intermittent noise on my landline I was persuaded to go on fibre which involves disconnection at the cabinet and reconnection with exchange line plus fibrebroadband from cab to house over the same wires , the fault was there just before they disconnected in the cabinet, no fault an hour later when it was all reconnected in the new configuration , clearly the fault was in the green cabinet, probably verdigree or damp, no problems since

I suspect yours is either in the cabinet, or the d.p. (pole) , or the dropwire to your house unless it was renewed on a previous fault ?

the most likely issue is a bad or damp connection at the cab or d.p.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

captainglassback (26-10-2020), holmroad (26-10-2020), JOE.MADDISON (26-10-2020), Mickha (26-10-2020)

Thanks
    three years ago it got so bad every time someone elses line went down,durring the fix mine would, then i started going out looking for the open reach van,found engineer working /closing a u/g box in pavement 300 yard from my home, told him my line had just gone down,so he moved the box up and down and said go home, see if its back on,then come back and tell me,i did it was,told him and i asked if he was going to go into box and fix,he said its fixed,a few weeks later line up/down etc then off and one leg rotted off ln box,then fixed,now it happens again.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-10-2020)

Thanks
    ok , so you also have an underground box too, but that fault is there somewhere between the green cabinet and your socket , all OPENREACH provided, but probably very old (and hopefully not aluminium , but copper)

you really need one of the openreach BB troubleshooters on the case, because its the same connection regardless of the BB provider, so swapping providers wont help

19. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

JOE.MADDISON (30-10-2020)

Thanks
    Was with TalkTalk years ago and broadband disconnected every time the house phone rang.
    TT blamed BT -- BT blamed TT.
    Don't mess with trying to get through to faults -email the company's CEO direct .
    In my case it was Dido Harding but the next day a TT "engineer" arrived with some test kit which he connected and said the broadband was stable .
    So I rang the house phone from my mobile and his face dropped as the broadband dropped out . Different filters and router made no difference so he blamed BT .
    A BT "engineer" couldn't find a fault so an email was sent to BT CEO explaining the saga. A reply came back saying "sorry and as I was now dealing with her - the CEO's PA - it would be sorted".
    Next day another BT "engineer" arrived and looked into the manhole outside my house scratching his head when an older BT guy arrived and I heard him say "can you not see the problem " ?
    10 minutes later all was sorted by the older guy who also said he would arrange for a new cable into the house as ours was rotting -- a day later 2 guys and a mini digger dug a very small trench across my lawn, had a new cable fitted and no problems since .
    Go straight to the top - email the CEO -- it works.
    Last edited by oscar; 26-10-2020 at 09:35 PM.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to oscar For This Useful Post:

Aldo (26-10-2020), Barney (27-10-2020), echelon (26-10-2020), holmroad (27-10-2020), JOE.MADDISON (26-10-2020)

Thanks
    most engineers give the impression that finding a fault is too much like work !!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

echelon (27-10-2020)

Thanks
    We had the same problem around three years ago, where every timed it rained our phone line went down. Sadly if you look at a lot of the underground boxes the lids are often very old or damaged in some way, so the seals on the boxes are not water tight.
    We are on fibre to the bottom of our road then copper cable to our bungalow, they sorted the rain problem however we still kept getting bad drop out of our broadband, so we called in our provider EE, who I thought were very helpful they checked the fibre along with BT up to the box at the bottom of our road. Both EE and BT were happy with results.

EE came into mine and fitted a master socket 5C and checked my internal cable again all okay. Sadly the drop outs still kept happening, so we reported it again with three different BT engineers all checking from the box at the bottom of the road to the our bungalow. Eventually avery quiet young BT engineer turned up, he checked every terminal end of the cable from the bottom of the road again to our bungalow, this engineer as i said quiet but very efficient had found the problem which was in the underground box. The problem turned out to be an old terminal, which he simply cut off and replaced. Since we have had very good readings on our EE broadband which is correct to what we ordered, yes there is a slight drop at peak but that was pointed out in the contract.

The secret to solving most of these problems is having an engineer who follows the basics and checks properly ie ' just because it looks okay it is okay ' attitude ( that engineer said the same, at first the terminal looked okay but after renewing the the result was so different,he then stated things should be okay now) and thankfully they have been since.
    Last edited by johnhenry; 27-10-2020 at 12:12 PM.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

Aldo (27-10-2020), echelon (27-10-2020), JOE.MADDISON (27-10-2020), oscar (27-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts

Icon3

I just had a slight increase in my speed today ....
    i would still like it to be better not sure if there is may be some fault on my line ??
    its still over 100mb short of what was promised ...but i guess its a little better than my previous speed
    Attached Images Attached Images

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

JOE.MADDISON (30-10-2020)

Thanks
    old connectors replaced at cabinet and moved from one fibre board to another ,speed now 20 m
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 30-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

Barney (30-10-2020), echelon (30-10-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    old connectors replaced at cabinet and moved from one fibre board to another ,speed now 20 m
    sounds about right to me similar to my problem and fix last year

well done and hope its stable from now on

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

JOE.MADDISON (30-10-2020), oscar (30-10-2020)