Thread: SKY and BT have shot themselves in the foot over PPV matches

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts

SKY and BT have shot themselves in the foot over PPV matches

PAY-PER-REVIEW Premier League could make shock U-turn on £14.95 PPV plan amid fear of illegal streaming and spike in coronavirus cases

The Telegraph add that the threat of fans flocking together to watch their team is a cause for concern with Covid-19, Prof Gabriel Scally, a leading public health expert said “It would be a very bad substitute to have fans gathering indoors, “It does certainly appear to be a situation that would encourage fans to put themselves potentially at risk, "We do know that a significant proportion of transmission is associated with the hospitality industry and pubs in particular.”

Steve Brine, the Conservative MP and member of Parliament’s digital, culture, media and sport select committee, said: “These are the worst of times and the Premier League has done much to lift spirits but this is not their finest hour, "It will encourage people to gather together and that’s just not the spirit of right now in my opinion.” Gary Neville slammed the top flight for its 'really bad move' while others proclaimed 'football is dead' after the announcement.

The backlash, especially on social media with many fans already paying for season tickets, led plenty to suggest they will simply find illegal streams online instead, And the threat of fans opting to source matches through unofficial means has struck fear into Premier League bosses.

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire, author of The Price of Football, told the BBC: "It is going to drive people towards piracy,

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

3tv (19-10-2020), catseye (19-10-2020), holmroad (19-10-2020)

Thanks
    Using COVID as excuse to u-turn on something they already knew to be unfair & unviable is pretty thick IMHO

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

Barney (18-10-2020), catseye (19-10-2020), holmroad (19-10-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Nothing to do with Sky & BT TBF, it's the Premier League's decision. Didn't take a genius to work out how bad it could be for indoors gatherings, it will be designed to force the government's hand on letting fans back into stadiums.

Verified Registered User funtime26's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave5118 View Post
    Nothing to do with Sky & BT TBF, it's the Premier League's decision.
    Dave5118 is correct. EPL's £14.99 was for the matches that weren't already on sky or BT.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Yesterdays Old Firm derby between Rangers and Celtic proved a point where large groups paid the £15 and went to each others houses for parties to watch the match, authorities tried to stop the match from being televised but failed, this event was a forseeable disaster that was allowed to happen, not much brains at the Scottish FA and TV companies..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,823 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Yesterdays Old Firm derby between Rangers and Celtic proved a point where large groups paid the £15 and went to each others houses for parties to watch the match, authorities tried to stop the match from being televised but failed, this event was a forseeable disaster that was allowed to happen, not much brains at the Scottish FA and TV companies..
    FAKE NEWS
    It was not on £15 ppv, it was on sky football/main event.

Screenshot_2020-10-18 LJs LiveOnSat Football Soccer Schedules on TV.png
    Last edited by manic01; 18-10-2020 at 01:56 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manic01 For This Useful Post:

Barney (18-10-2020), dog-man (19-10-2020), holmroad (19-10-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    They must have switched it at the last minute due to the bad publicity, it was scheduled to be PPV which caused a lot of criticism, I didn't check it as I was watching a different game.

Thanks
    Please delete double post.
    Last edited by manic01; 19-10-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    They must have switched it at the last minute due to the bad publicity, it was scheduled to be PPV which caused a lot of criticism, I didn't check it as I was watching a different game.
    It was never a ppv game, it was always due to be shown on those channels.
    PPV games are only for games not scheduled to be shown and are epl games not spl.

Lets not distract from the post you made, where did those lies come from?

Have you got a link?
    Last edited by manic01; 19-10-2020 at 10:27 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to manic01 For This Useful Post:

dog-man (19-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,192 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Its just Greed

All games are broadcast live anyway by the Premier League

Its the broadcasters that decide what & how many games to show

Hence why broadcasters such as BeIN Sports show all games live

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by catseye View Post
    Its just Greed

All games are broadcast live anyway by the Premier League

Its the broadcasters that decide what & how many games to show

Hence why broadcasters such as BeIN Sports show all games live
    You pay for the rights to show X amount of games, they come in tiers, and of course until covid all Saturday 3pm games were not allowed to be screened live in UK.

Still does not detract from the lies posted about spl game being ppv

Last edited by manic01; 19-10-2020 at 11:45 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to manic01 For This Useful Post:

Aldo (19-10-2020), Barney (19-10-2020), dog-man (19-10-2020), holmroad (19-10-2020), maurice (19-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,192 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Tonights evening game West Brom V Burney
    Not shown on Sky Sports as part of their program
    So pay £15 on top of your monthly subscription

Whereas If you were a subscriber to Supersports NBC Sports & many others
    Its shown as part of your month sub

18. The Following User Says Thank You to catseye For This Useful Post:

Barney (21-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,093 Posts
    Many Newcastle Utd fans had decided against subscribing to their PPV & donated over 19K to Newcastle’s food bank
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ^^COMPASS^^ For This Useful Post:

Barney (21-10-2020), catseye (20-10-2020), dog-man (19-10-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts

pricing is all wrong. The rest of the world should be squeezed so its cheaper here, but then sky/bt would still charge the same prices they do now.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

Barney (21-10-2020), catseye (20-10-2020)

Thanks

Lack of interest comes in to it, big fight in usa last month was $70 inc in package here.
    Also time of day, networks wont pay big bucks for programmes transmitted weekdays and lunchtime/tea time as they dont get the advertising revenue.
    West Brom V Burney ko was 5.30pm uk time but in us pacific time zone it was 9.30 am and eastern time zone it was 12.30pm, not many around to ppv for that game on a monday.
    Cricket is in our packages over here, you couldn't give it away in most countries.
    It's all about supply and demand.

Cool Dude
    Thanks

I got the wrong end of the stick with this one...

I got the wrong end of the stick with this one as two issues were being reported on, one was that PPV would encourage peeps to watch at home with other fans and the other point was that as it was not being shown on Scottish tv fans would cross the border to watch on English tv.

-------------------------------------------

Coronavirus Scotland: Old Firm derby 'should be on free TV'
    By David Bol @mrdavidbol Political Correspondent
    Fans have been warned not to watch the Celtic v Rangers game in English pubs

CALLS have been made for this weekend’s Old Firm game to be screened on free TV in a bid to halt fans crossing the border to watch it in English pubs.
    All pubs in the Central Belt are closed under 16-day restrictions put in place by the Scottish Government to stem the spread of Covid-19 in hospitality settings.

The first league game of the season between Celtic and Rangers will take place on Saturday and will be shown on Sky Sports - with no fans allowed to be in the stadium.
    Earlier, Nicola Sturgeon warned Celtic and Rangers fans not to travel to the north of England to watch the game – pointing specifically to Blackpool after hundreds of Scots have contracted Covid-19 after visiting the Lancashire resort.

She said: “If you were thinking about going to Blackpool and haven’t booked yet then please do not go this year.
    “Even more specifically, because we know this is an issue and I want to be very clear about this, do not travel to Blackpool this weekend to watch the Old Firm match in a pub.
    “If you do that, you will be putting yourselves and you will be putting other people at risk.”

The Scottish Greens have now called for the match to be put on free to air television.
    The party has called on the Scottish Government to engage in urgent discussions with the football authorities and Sky Sports to explore a solution that would allow everyone to watch the match on free to air tv.

Scottish Greens health spokesperson, Alison Johnstone, said: “Football is so important to so many people and I understand just how frustrating it is for fans at the moment who just want to watch their team play.
    “Essential public health restrictions have meant that grounds have had to remain closed, and now that pubs in the Central Belt are closed only those who have Sky Sports at home will be able to watch this weekend’s game.

“The First Minister has raised concerns that people may go to one another’s homes or even travel to pubs in England to watch the game. This would risk increasing transmission of the virus just at the time when we’ve brought in additional measures to bring it under control.”
    She added: “That’s why I’m calling on the Scottish Government to urgently engage with the football authorities, and Sky Sports, to establish whether it might be possible to broadcast Saturday’s Celtic vs Rangers game on free to air tv.
    “I’m confident the overwhelming majority of people will continue to follow the rules as they have throughout this crisis, but broadcasting the game free to air would allow everyone to watch at home, reducing the risk of people heading out to watch the game and spreading the virus.”

Labour leader Richard Leonard has added his voice to the campaign, inisiting "the solution to this is simple" adding "make the match free to watch on television"

HTML Code:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18794882.coronavirus-scotland-old-firm-derby-should-free-tv/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Well that did not work out at all as obviously Greed took over and game was NOT Free and likely Never Ever will be Free as there is the fact that money will be made from the old firm derby whether fans get Covid-19 or not is obviously zero concern for any politician ,
    They talk the talk ... but when it comes down to it talk is cheap and free but actions will forever speak louder than their mega BS words
    and S-K-Y only knows one action and that is to fleece as much money as ever possible and make the now jobless public pay even harder !!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

catseye (21-10-2020)

Thanks
    I got the wrong end of the stick with this one as two issues were being reported on, one was that PPV would encourage peeps to watch at home with other fans and the other point was that as it was not being shown on Scottish tv fans would cross the border to watch on English tv.

-------------------------------------------

Coronavirus Scotland: Old Firm derby 'should be on free TV'
    By David Bol @mrdavidbol Political Correspondent
    Fans have been warned not to watch the Celtic v Rangers game in English pubs

CALLS have been made for this weekend’s Old Firm game to be screened on free TV in a bid to halt fans crossing the border to watch it in English pubs.
    All pubs in the Central Belt are closed under 16-day restrictions put in place by the Scottish Government to stem the spread of Covid-19 in hospitality settings.

The first league game of the season between Celtic and Rangers will take place on Saturday and will be shown on Sky Sports - with no fans allowed to be in the stadium.
    Earlier, Nicola Sturgeon warned Celtic and Rangers fans not to travel to the north of England to watch the game – pointing specifically to Blackpool after hundreds of Scots have contracted Covid-19 after visiting the Lancashire resort.

She said: “If you were thinking about going to Blackpool and haven’t booked yet then please do not go this year.
    “Even more specifically, because we know this is an issue and I want to be very clear about this, do not travel to Blackpool this weekend to watch the Old Firm match in a pub.
    “If you do that, you will be putting yourselves and you will be putting other people at risk.”

The Scottish Greens have now called for the match to be put on free to air television.
    The party has called on the Scottish Government to engage in urgent discussions with the football authorities and Sky Sports to explore a solution that would allow everyone to watch the match on free to air tv.

Scottish Greens health spokesperson, Alison Johnstone, said: “Football is so important to so many people and I understand just how frustrating it is for fans at the moment who just want to watch their team play.
    “Essential public health restrictions have meant that grounds have had to remain closed, and now that pubs in the Central Belt are closed only those who have Sky Sports at home will be able to watch this weekend’s game.

“The First Minister has raised concerns that people may go to one another’s homes or even travel to pubs in England to watch the game. This would risk increasing transmission of the virus just at the time when we’ve brought in additional measures to bring it under control.”
    She added: “That’s why I’m calling on the Scottish Government to urgently engage with the football authorities, and Sky Sports, to establish whether it might be possible to broadcast Saturday’s Celtic vs Rangers game on free to air tv.
    “I’m confident the overwhelming majority of people will continue to follow the rules as they have throughout this crisis, but broadcasting the game free to air would allow everyone to watch at home, reducing the risk of people heading out to watch the game and spreading the virus.”

Labour leader Richard Leonard has added his voice to the campaign, inisiting "the solution to this is simple" adding "make the match free to watch on television"

HTML Code:
    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18794882.coronavirus-scotland-old-firm-derby-should-free-tv/
    You posted a completely made up story

Completely fabricated by someone, unless or course you have a link to the story?