Thread: E2 TV - what a great feature!!!

Thanks

E2 TV - what a great feature!!!

so yesterday i was sorting out our spare room, i put the Ocatagon SX88 up there for IPTV - there is no satellite input in that room, just WIFI only....

i havent had the STB long, so i sat down, and started going through the apps and features built in (its not an E2 STB) - i came across something called E2 TV.

it asked for the IP address of my main satellite receiver (downstairs) - i put it in, and voila, it showed all the bouquets of the downstairs satellite box, and i could watch any channel, just as if i was downstairs...it even moves the dish accordingly!

i was amazed! i might get a couple more now for main bedroom and kitchen, so i can have any channel anywhere! - they're only 50 odd quid.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ManikM For This Useful Post:

Burnham (26-08-2020), dragonm (26-08-2020), Nikkas (26-08-2020), port06 (26-08-2020)

Verified Registered User january_king's Avatar
    Thanks
    That got me thinking! I have used TV sender boxes in the past and they are generally horrid and clunky but this seems like an ideal solution for a second room without access to a dish.

EDIT - after further thought I am looking at options on the ****** Firestick that I already have
    Last edited by january_king; 26-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to january_king For This Useful Post:

port06 (26-08-2020)

Thanks
    do share - as i have a firestick in my main bedroom - no sat tv in there either, - although i just need to drill a hole to get this but would prefer not too.

Verified Registered User january_king's Avatar
    Thanks
    I haven't tested this over a prolonged period so can't vouch for total reliability but first impressions are good. I downloaded 'dream Player' direct from ****** to the stick. You get a free version with restricted number of channels available (3 per bouquet?). Once connected over the network to the sat box (Vu+ Solo2 in this case) it reads in the channel list and with a bit of fine tuning re buffers etc it worked well. Nice presentation and good ability to edit locally available bouquets etc.
    Despite some reviews stating that this would slow it down, I then coughed up the £6 or £7 to unlock it to all channels. This had no negative impact on speed as some report and it will run HD over the 5GHz network. Quick zapping too.
    In summary an underused Firestick 4k now has a useful function again and my front room has sat TV. In some ways it is nicer than using the Vu+ directly.
    Thanks for prompting the idea. I'd be interested in any comments if you give it a go.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to january_king For This Useful Post:

port06 (27-08-2020), Satcat (27-08-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    @ the OP

I hope you know that the E2 software on an STB runs a web server and you can use any tablet, laptop, phone, android box etc. to watch a stream from your STB anywhere you want (even outside your home netwrok). There's no need to spend £50 on anything.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (27-08-2020), port06 (27-08-2020)

Thanks
    Is it possible to stream IPTV from a VU Ultimo 4K to a PC?
    I am able to stream channels but always fail when trying to stream an IPTV channel.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    @ the OP

I hope you know that the E2 software on an STB runs a web server and you can use any tablet, laptop, phone, android box etc. to watch a stream from your STB anywhere you want (even outside your home netwrok). There's no need to spend £50 on anything.
    yes thanks! - however first you'd need a device to do it (at a cost) - then you need a player (app - at a cost) - yes you could use a laptop, but faffy and messy (connecting to a TV). i was merely pointing out that at 50 quid its a nice feature to include in an STB that is already connected to your TV via HDMI - thats all - not a statement saying it was the only solution to stream a channel over the network.

also, this is posted in an Octagon section.
    Last edited by ManikM; 28-08-2020 at 11:31 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ManikM For This Useful Post:

cowboy (23-12-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    Is it possible to stream IPTV from a VU Ultimo 4K to a PC?
    I am able to stream channels but always fail when trying to stream an IPTV channel.
    good question mate - i have IPTV "channels" in my bouquet, and these didnt stream using this E2 TV function on this Octagon box...hopefully someone can answer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ManikM For This Useful Post:

cowboy (23-12-2020)