Thread: Echostar AD3000ip ( Not Via) fireware 900 or 901

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Echostar AD3000ip ( Not Via) fireware 900 or 901

Hi,

Looks like firmware is corrupt . Does anyone have a copy of either version 900 or 901?

Its still used as a +36 v positioner.

Hope someone has a copy.

Thanks
    Does a factory reset not fix it?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    On switch on front display just going round so I cannot get into the menu. I know it has the chip problem and software corrupt issue as I have flash it about 10 years ago. I thought I would try and reflash first.

I can only find the Via version which is the wrong version for my box. I think I am at v900 or v901.

Thanks
    Its a capacitor problem
    change caps on power supply and it will work

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Was working then stopped. I was thinking caps dried up as its so old and its been very hot here. I will open up and see if the tops are blown.

Do you know which caps go usually ?
    Last edited by daxv8; 16-08-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks

Icon6

THERES SOME 3000 ON E.BAY from £25

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Checked PSU secondary outputs all voltages measure ok +5 v , +8v + 30v +12v is little low 11.3v which makes me think its just software. I powers up from plug in then display then goes round and stops with ---- on display. Hit the power switch then keeps going round on display.

I would like to reload the firmware so any hopes of the v900 or V901 version before I still look at buying another box.

The 3600 is not working for "£25" and one for £60 I might go down the V-box route.
    Last edited by daxv8; 16-08-2020 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks
    I'm surprised that I cannot find the older 3000ip files. (Mine died along the same lines as yours a long time ago. £1 for £1 the best bit of sat kit that I ever had!!). Is this 1.50MB file any good to you?... AD3000IP_ V1100_20040108_w.bin

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by captainglassback View Post
    I'm surprised that I cannot find the older 3000ip files. (Mine died along the same lines as yours a long time ago. £1 for £1 the best bit of sat kit that I ever had!!). Is this 1.50MB file any good to you?... AD3000IP_ V1100_20040108_w.bin
    How strange is that. I just come across a post with the same version AD3000IP_ V1100_20040108_w.bin and down loaded it but the post was very confusing.

I am not 100% sure its for the AD3000ip version unless you have this loaded into your AD3000ip? I know I got upto 901 beta but was not aware of a v1100?

You might make my day.
    Last edited by daxv8; 17-08-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks
    My recollection is that I used the v1100 for quite some time...... albeit mainly for dish moving purposes, as was using Technomates and Spiderboxes, once the Chaparall became redundant!! (Memory is hazy!!). It certainly did not cause the demise of the stb! There was a good reason to move up to v1100 but I cannot remember the debate! I assume that you have the BIN file in the post that you found.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to captainglassback For This Useful Post:

daxv8 (18-08-2020)

Thanks
    For the benefit of anyone looking to do a repair, (which I have to say is beyond me!!).....there was a great poster here called COR on this subject. I noted down the following comments from him.......
    Any strange behaviour of the Echostar is 99% the cause of the PSU unit going faulty

This can lead to a total shutdown of the PSU, or one or more voltages missing/ too low from the PSU.

Taking the old capacitor out, resolder dry joints mostly take care of the problem.

I clean out the receiver every year, I added an fan ( computer one) over the PSU blowing air in, that kept my PSU cold and working since I bought it new, and also keeps the rest of the receiver cool as well.

Feed the fan from the 12 volt output on the back, use an 33 or 47 Ohm resistor in the + 12 volt wire to reduce the noise of the fan, but take care to have enough airflow.

3000 with cooling here too. However, I have an 80mm fan (with external power) pulling warm air out (just my personal preference) which seems to work well at keeping the old girl nice and cool.

If anyone is going to replace the caps themselves make sure you have a good clean of the PSU board (once old caps are removed) using IPA fluid prior to fitting the replacements, you can also use it to clean up the solder residue after woods.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to captainglassback For This Useful Post:

daxv8 (18-08-2020)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I recall COR write ups as a great source of information. I have checked all the PSU voltages which all look good which makes me think it is the software.

I will look to load the bin file I have. Just got to locate by null modem call hidden somewhere. Hopefully it will resolve the issue. I will report back.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    if you need a36v receiver i have a few technomate manhattan of no use to me but they work ok

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Thanks Satwyn that might be a good option if the software dont load. It stopped working on the hottest day so something might of not liked the heat.

I will bear that in mind as still hunting for my null modem cable. I had a sort out and had it in the location for 20 years now cannot find anything ! Will pm you if I cannot get it working.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Latest. I made a null modem cable in the end. Followed the software steps and UPLOAD on display and then stated it had finished on the software loader program. Nothing changed on the display still showing upload so power cycled but still getting the same circle of dash - on the display. So same problem.

All the voltages are in spec except the +12v which measures +11.3v. on pin 6 of the output PSU board. Not sure what this feeds.

There is no tolerance shown on the cct diagram for the +12v d.c (Pin 6 out of the psu board and wonder if the 11.3v is to low? I am not sure what this feeds and would it stop the software loading?

All the other voltages are within spec voltage +30v , +21v , +8v, +5v (pin 3 and 4) +5v (pin 11).

I will pull the board out and see if there are any dry joints or suspect components.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Got a bit further. Managed to start to load the software but stops sending across after 1 min. The display shows upload and all starts off ok then the software does not show anything going across after two bars but still shows files flying across. I have left it for 40 mins but never get an error message.
    I have seen talk of a boot strap required before a firmware upgrade? Does any one have a copy of the boot strap and explain pls.

Thanks
    Given that my recollection is hazy about what I did with the stb, (given that mine packed up before most!), I do have a file stored with the v1100 one. It's called AD3000VA.bin I have no idea what it is or if it is the boot strap except to say that it won't be anything to do with the Viaccess model 'specifically' in that I only kept files that I used. You are of course welcome to try it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to captainglassback For This Useful Post:

manic01 (22-08-2020)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Update. I have tried most things but still only getting as far as 1 min 12 in to the Download. Managed an upload but this I believe is only the channel listing which completed. Checked PSU and resoldered a few dry joints but all the voltages measure good anyway.

I thoughts are the EEPROM has finally failed in blocks which require the software to boot. This is a surface mount and package does not allow for home replacement.

I am looking at fitting an Arduino uno to control the motor positioner. As all the PSU voltages are fine. I just need to work out the motor control and feedback from the reed in the dish motor for the location.
    Interesting little project.

Anyone bee successful?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Anyone been successful?