Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TV licence

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Freeview Adverts.

Do you remember the advertisements for Freeview that use to appear on TV. Once great one was the signing cat and bird. Have a look on you tube it is on there under freeview adverts, cat and bird.

All throughout the ad it clearly states that Freeview is FREE forever and free from subscriptions. At no point does it state that you need a TV licence. Not once in the small print does it say about TV licence just aerial upgrade that may be required. It just tells you that the nations favourite TV is FREE.

How many people could walk into a court room and the judge can simple say that freeview is not FREE and would rubbish the whole FREEview system.

I wonder how many people would have to pay a fine then.

Food for thought.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scrambled For This Useful Post:

gibson (07-07-2020), holmroad (06-07-2020), Nikkas (07-07-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    You only need a licence if you download and watch BBC programs on IPlayer - or watch LIVE TV while it's being broadcast.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...fings/sn06860/

You don't need a licence to watch catch up TV, it's not live - and for 40d/ITV player etc - unless you are watching live streams, you do NOT need a licence. You can watch as much stuff as you want on Netflix, Am*zon Prime and other streaming services (anything apart from Iplayer).

If you don't have a licence and some good comes to your house to check - you are under NO obligation to speak to them, and you should not talk to them or let them in your house - they have no rights. If they have a court order and are accompanied by the Police (which is very rare), even then you can refuse to let them in your house (look on youtube - there are many videos of people doing this).

Here's pretty much everything you need to know regarding TV the licence:
    https://assets.publishing.service.go...ce_evasion.pdf

I've never had one in my life - and have refused to speak to or let any goons in my house, I will never own a TV licence in my life either - and look forward to the day when it is scrapped.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

3tv (08-07-2020), holmroad (07-07-2020), Nikkas (08-07-2020)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi
    anybody pays licence for bbc they are nuts, you can see whats channels every day count them up thousands for years and itv also your paying for licence etc etc etc !

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Ther BBC are finally about to ditch the pensioners free tv license, and also end the teletext style news business and sports information on the red button on freeview.

They are less and less like a public tv service provider for the UK and more like a left wing commercial company now, I cant see any reason to pay them anymore.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

holmroad (15-07-2020)

Thanks
    I assume everybody knows that it was the current government that decided to stop funding tv licences for the elderly?
    They then passed the responsibility and cost to the BBC.

The BBC are not totally at blame here although I do believe that the elderly should have a free licence.
    In fact, if it was down to me, it would be free from your official state pension date.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

jackpot18uk (14-07-2020), mikej05 (15-07-2020), Weston Calling (14-07-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    I assume everybody knows that it was the current government that decided to stop funding tv licences for the elderly?
    They then passed the responsibility and cost to the BBC.

The BBC are not totally at blame here although I do believe that the elderly should have a free licence.
    In fact, if it was down to me, it would be free from your official state pension date.
    There should be no such thing for anyone. It's a forced stealth tax for an atiquated TV service which many people do not use nor even want but have to pay for whether they like it or not.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

holmroad (15-07-2020), mrdude (15-07-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkas View Post
    There should be no such thing for anyone. It's a forced stealth tax for an atiquated TV service which many people do not use nor even want but have to pay for whether they like it or not.
    Yep, exactly why should people that don't watch BBC be forced to subsidise people that do. When are people going to subsidise me for me watching Netflix or some other streaming service?

The BBC will never get a penny from me - ever!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

holmroad (15-07-2020), Nikkas (16-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Ther BBC are finally about to ditch the pensioners free tv license, and also end the teletext style news business and sports information on the red button on freeview.

They are less and less like a public tv service provider for the UK and more like a left wing commercial company now, I cant see any reason to pay them anymore.
    Furious - I have used the red button in its present format for years and do not intend to use it anymore in the new much larger format as I simply don't WANT all the extras offered, but just the simple Freeview red button 'basics'!
    I actually emailed the BBC to this effect months ago, but strangely (lol) have had no reply - please BBC AND Government - take notice of what we over 75's are saying, or future support may be removed in EVERY way!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (16-07-2020)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12