Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TV licence

Thanks

TV licence

There has been a lot of publicity lately about de-funding the BBC including instructions on how to cancel your TV licence aimed at anyone who feels they are either paying for a service they do not use or accuse the BBC of bias.
    Please don't get political as we don't want the thread closed but I am curious to know how many people have cancelled their licence and if there were any repercussions.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    There has been a lot of publicity lately about de-funding the BBC including instructions on how to cancel your TV licence aimed at anyone who feels they are either paying for a service they do not use or accuse the BBC of bias.
    Please don't get political as we don't want the thread closed but I am curious to know how many people have cancelled their licence and if there were any repercussions.
    i want to cancel mine but as it covers live tv they have your hand tied which out of order imo.

Thanks
    Slightly off topic - my 80 year old neighbour had an email yesterday to pay for a new licence which they haven't been paying for years due to their ages .
    It was a scam but very convincing .
    Back to topic .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oscar For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (03-07-2020), sonic1 (03-07-2020), waverider (04-07-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    Slightly off topic - my 80 year old neighbour had an email yesterday to pay for a new licence which they haven't been paying for years due to their ages .
    It was a scam but very convincing .
    Back to topic .
    didnt the bbc want to reverse the free licence for the over 75s? must be costing them a fortune to make Bargain Hunt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Don't watch it. Do not support it. 'Live' TV is a rip off. Repeat, repeat, repeat + ad after ad after ad. YouToob, Netflix & ****** plus Viki for the misus has done us nicely. Can have catchup but rarely anything worth watching IMHO.

So we cancelled a while back & have now completed the 'self declaration' twice m(lasts 2 years). No nag letters nor visits.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

crabber (03-07-2020), saintomer1866 (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    That is interesting, I hoped someone would post who has already cancelled. Do you know what the rules are now? as I thought originally you couldn't even own a TV without needing a licence. I have read since that you can use the BBC website but not iplayer, and thinking about it iplayer does sometimes ask if you have a licence, and of course a smart TV requires you to set up your BBC account with details although I suppose this would be easy enough for anyone to fake.

Thanks
    That is interesting, I hoped someone would post who has already cancelled. Do you know what the rules are now? as I thought originally you couldn't even own a TV without needing a licence. I have read since that you can use the BBC website but not iplayer, and thinking about it iplayer does sometimes ask if you have a licence, and of course a smart TV requires you to set up your BBC account with details although I suppose this would be easy enough for anyone to fake.
    You are only prohibited from watching 'live' TV channels incl. +1 but not catch up or on demand except for iPlayer. Everything else goes & you can own as many TV sets as you like. You also do NOT need to disconnect nor detune your TV from signal sources as you are fully entitled to still receive 'live' radio via Ariel or Dish.

I refuse to have anything to do with the BBC & no matter what would never sign up for anything associated with them. I am also quite annoyed that I cannot remove their 'smart' app from some of my devices which I think infringes my human rights but that's another story.
    Last edited by Nikkas; 03-07-2020 at 06:10 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

crabber (03-07-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    if you dont watch anything live or catchup you dont need a licence. You can still watch bbc shows on netflix and the like. iplayer, itvhub, nowtv, sky etc are not allowed though.
    Last edited by 3tv; 03-07-2020 at 06:27 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

crabber (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3tv View Post
    if you dont watch anything live or catchup you dont need a licence. You can still watch bbc shows on netflix and the like. iplayer, itvhub, nowtv, sky etc are not allowed though.
    Not true,
    the rules are,

1. You cannot watch any TV show Live as it's being broadcast anywhere in the world.
    2. You cannot record any TV show as it's being broadcast anywhere in the world.
    3. You cannot use the BBCiPlayer service.

So you are allowed to watch VOD from itvhub, nowtv, sky etc, if it's from their library and not a live broadcast.

St.O

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saintomer1866 For This Useful Post:

3tv (04-07-2020), crabber (03-07-2020), manic01 (04-07-2020), Nikkas (03-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for all your responses, I used to be a supporter of the BBC enjoying their news, comedy and do***entary output. I would even defend their impartiality but not any more.
    I spend more time watching YouTube now, I can chose what I want to see, I follow several machinists videos, one is rebuilding a wall on his workshop, it says something for our national broadcaster that I prefer to watch that rather than their programs!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (03-07-2020), saintomer1866 (04-07-2020), sonic1 (06-07-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by saintomer1866 View Post
    Not true,
    the rules are,

1. You cannot watch any TV show Live as it's being broadcast anywhere in the world.
    2. You cannot record any TV show as it's being broadcast anywhere in the world.
    3. You cannot use the BBCiPlayer service.

So you are allowed to watch VOD from itvhub, nowtv, sky etc, if it's from their library and not a live broadcast.

St.O
    cool, i thought anything from a catchup service was a no go.

If only Live content excluding the BBC was allowed they would be screwed.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (03-07-2020), saintomer1866 (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    The BBC are no longer unbiased in ANY situation - in MY opinion!

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

crabber (04-07-2020), gibson (04-07-2020), manic01 (04-07-2020), mrdude (04-07-2020), Nikkas (04-07-2020), sonic1 (06-07-2020)

Thanks
    Yes and minority groups are promoted as the norm. I see nothing wrong in diversity but it seems to be taken to the extreme by the BBC. Gardening or home improvement programs always have the happy couple as the same gender and a recent mastermind had a full house. Of the four contestants one was g a y, another had changed gender, the third was coloured and the final one was disabled. I have absolutely no problem with any of these groups but just wonder if it is a true representation of the wider community?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

holmroad (04-07-2020), Jimdefruit (04-07-2020), Nikkas (04-07-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Yes and minority groups are promoted as the norm. I see nothing wrong in diversity but it seems to be taken to the extreme by the BBC. Gardening or home improvement programs always have the happy couple as the same gender and a recent mastermind had a full house. Of the four contestants one was g a y, another had changed gender, the third was coloured and the final one was disabled. I have absolutely no problem with any of these groups but just wonder if it is a true representation of the wider community?
    Absolutely spot on mate - maybe its time for the 'silent' MAJORITY to get a look in now? lol!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holmroad For This Useful Post:

crabber (04-07-2020), Nikkas (04-07-2020)

Verified Registered User Jimdefruit's Avatar
    Thanks
    crabber, give me a kiss and i'll tell you

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimdefruit For This Useful Post:

crabber (04-07-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    I never watch the BBC unless I cant help it, I watch all the footy which used to be several seconds delayed, its now several minutes delayed due to broadcasters and internet servers which means they are not live in my books anymore.

I can't see how the BBC has the right to be in charge of a whole tv technology when all they do is run a few tv channels.... badly, when the auto-mobile first came out in the USA over a hundred years ago one of the manufacturers took out a patent on the car so nobody else could make one and they would have a monopoly on all vehicles made, it was challenged in the courts and it was decreed that you cannot have a patent on a whole technology as it was anti competitive, we could do with that here.

The answer to the corrupt BBC problem is simple, decriminalise it for the poor and the unemployed and the elderly, at a stroke they will spend forever in courts arguing who can and who cant do what, what is copy write and what is not, they would then have to protect their content which means encryption, job done.
    Last edited by TonyO; 04-07-2020 at 11:03 AM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (04-07-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    It's money, and no government will stop taking any form of taxation, they might alter the name, or conditions, but stop taking any form of taxation would be a bad precedent.

I haven't viewed any British television, in well over a decade, and have no intention of viewing them now.

All British television seems to be based on ***, and feminist, rights, to the detriment of children, especially boys. Even radio stations constantly edit songs, and even ban a lot of songs, the most ridiculous being the Christmas song Baby It's Cold Outside, which even parents thought was ridiculous.

I now download all my audio music, and burn the tracks to CD, mainly for listening to while in the car, and at6 work, where I store 50 - 100 tracks, stored on my work PC, which I then play on continuous loop, or download music videos for home use.

Anything I want to view, is downloaded, or on foreign satellite stations, and I find the option of KODI downloads to be best, for storing television programs, and films, I want to watch, at a time of my choosing, and are unedited.

British television has edited programs, for years, even the old Carry On films, that were rated PG, when they were first released, to Stargate SG1, and even Friends, where they edited out the phrase horny bitch, comically said by the Rachel character.

Many viewers aren't even aware of programs that are censored, or edited, as they never view the original broadcasts, and have no interest in discovering the truth.

BBC news is probably the worst, I've ever heard, especially newsbeat, as they tend to slant, their broadcasts, to suit their focus. The last time, I listened, Newsbeat opened with a story of a man being mugged, and continued that the muggers stripped him *****, at which point the female newsreader laughed. Can you imagine what would have happened if the roles were reversed? A woman being mugged, and stripped, and a male newsreader laughing?

This is just one example, most are far more subtle.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Aldo (04-07-2020), Barney (04-07-2020), holmroad (05-07-2020), Nikkas (04-07-2020)

Verified Registered User bamber's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    The BBC are no longer unbiased in ANY situation - in MY opinion!
    When people say this, I always suspect that it is the result of their own opinions changing as they get older, rather than any change in BBC editorial policy.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    The BBC probably has always had similar policies, but even they change, with time, or don't you remember the Black & White Minstrel Show, now deemed to be racist, or comedies, mostly involving the middle class, like Terry & June, which changed when times changed, allowing us Monty Python.

The BBC, and other organizations, have always been biased, possibly not deliberately, but when you have an older, white, male, structure, which most companies were, years ago, of course they tend to think in a similar way. Now you have a structure brought up on the values of political correctness, which can also be considered as subtle conditioning, then that's the bias, of the day, once again probably not deliberate, but inevitable.

Now we have access to far more information, thanks to modern technology, and different view points, which are broadcast on the internet, especially on youtube, allowing us to think, investigate, and consider the truth.

Since the death of George Floyd, I have been doing a lot of research, and was amazed at the amount of evidence, on video, showing the racist nature of some police officers, and how they can get away with assault, criminal misconduct, and even murder.

Thankfully, due to the proliferation of new technology, and information access, things might change.

If you doubt the truth, of police misconduct, try looking into the Marcus Jeter case, Cory Jones, case, Curtis Harris case, and numerous others,

If you wish to believe that the BBC has always been a bastion of virtue, integrity, and honesty, then that's your right, but then you have to ask how Jimmy Saville, and probably others, got away with abusing children, for so long, and why the BBC bosses stopped a news story, reporting complaints, of child abuse.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    My memories pretty good and I like and do the same things I've always done without hardly any changes throughout life, now the BBC has changed massively in my lifetime, it used to be conservative and stuffy Oxbridge males running it and the presenters pretty much all had plumbs in their mouths and they looked down condescendingly at the people on the street. (lower class)

They always used to refer to the British government or the British minister etc as if they were a foreign organisation and not our national broadcaster which was a bit aloof considering we were paying for them, when I worked for them in the 90's they tried to diversify the workforce by employing more foreign (coloured) workers but most were in mundane service jobs like cleaners tea ladies porters and other non skilled areas, by the time I left there it was like the league of nations with a large LGTG presence.

Like most big corporations and businesses that are governed by lawyers and diktats from above they are now a very "Radical Left" leaning organization with slavish blind obedience to all things politically correct, this distorts their view of the world and makes reporting the news and current affairs impossible as they have to run everything through their so called filters of removing race religion gender blame, also past criminal records and a whole myriad of non acceptable terms and phrases that describe what happened and why, so you end up with faked news that is unable to say why what when and who.

Their problem is that they have not taken the public along with then with their change of political orientation but have just irritated them with their constant change and endless blame game, meanwhile they dig a hole ever deeper ignoring the growing resentment at their abuse of public taxes to further a political cause that is not in their remit as an unelected broadcaster, theyare supposed to be unbiased and impartial, they will end up in the hole they’ve dug for themselves and will only have them selves to blame by their own reckless behaviour.
    Last edited by TonyO; 06-07-2020 at 01:26 PM.

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

gibson (10-07-2020), GTO (07-07-2020), holmroad (06-07-2020), Nikkas (07-07-2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast