Thread: old mx tv box

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

old mx tv box

hi all
    I know this is going back to the future but I have an unused xstreamTec tv box (mx) version 4-2 openelec quadcore box loaded with 15-2 isengard. also have user manual and during the setup tutorial at the very beginning stage after showing the physical cable connections it say to switch on box using my tv source set at av and that should give me access to a browser page to allow me to wipe clean the embedded installation and download whatever.
    I have followed the instructions but cannot get access to this browser page, please be patient with me all I really want to do is bring the box back to its pre-loaded state, download my vpn onto the box and whatever else I choose. any help from you tech guys would be greatly appreciated.
    the box appears to work okay within the outdated versions limits (15-2 isengard) but cannot get the first stage setup to work (access the browser setup page as per the manual).
    cheers

Thanks
    DONT KNOW box but it may have a memory battery,that has died ,and the box may have lost its progam.new battery and new program may fix things.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi joe
    I appreciate your comment but cannot really do anything unless I can access the browser. the box actually functions within the limits of the old loaded program.
    the power supply for this unit is via adapter plug 240v down to 5v supply for box.
    would help if I knew how to put the box back to virgin/factory state.
    cheers

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I am not sure if this is a normal android box but to factory reset does it have a small pin hole or av hole if so unplug mains, insert a toothpick or similar keeping it held firmly in hole (you may hear a clicking noise which is a good sign ) plug mains back in and keep it held like that until a menu appears on screen.
    follow info on screen for factory reset.
    Last edited by trotwood; 14-06-2020 at 08:28 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to trotwood For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-06-2020)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi trotwood,
    yes it is that type box and I have done as you suggest dsnt seem to have had any effect, I felt the click held it in for several secs.
    what I dnt understand is bearing in mind this was an unopened/unused unit why I cannot get the setup menu up as instructed in the enclosed menu (to access the browser screen)I realise there is a lot this old version will not be able to do but I should still be able to gain the original browser access.
    to describe the unit better. it has MX on top of box, describes as quadcore, openelec, version 4-2, using 15-2 isengard installed, has several usb ports and as I say it works within the limits of the old programme. I can add url's install via zip, etc.
    I just want to begin. wipe system clean but cannot do that.
    many thanks for your attention.
    cheers

Thanks
    DONT know if this will work for your unit,,,to reset press right key...bottom key...back key...ok key until message icon blinks on after few secs,,message icon will stop blinking,,,now switch off,disconnect from mains wait 30 secs, switch on ???..........but if mem battery is duff ,no resets are possible.battery powers a read only chip with original program,duff battery results mem chip with prgram down so cannot read orig. programing. box using a reset button same, if no battery. box cannot find the original program to load it.
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 15-06-2020 at 11:28 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    You may have to hold it in for longer sometimes 2-3 minutes, also it doesn't always work first attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by forest View Post
    hi trotwood,
    yes it is that type box and I have done as you suggest dsnt seem to have had any effect, I felt the click held it in for several secs.
    what I dnt understand is bearing in mind this was an unopened/unused unit why I cannot get the setup menu up as instructed in the enclosed menu (to access the browser screen)I realise there is a lot this old version will not be able to do but I should still be able to gain the original browser access.
    to describe the unit better. it has MX on top of box, describes as quadcore, openelec, version 4-2, using 15-2 isengard installed, has several usb ports and as I say it works within the limits of the old programme. I can add url's install via zip, etc.
    I just want to begin. wipe system clean but cannot do that.
    many thanks for your attention.
    cheers

Thanks

Icon6 battery

some boxes have a removable battery ,some have a hard wired battery,to limit the life of the device,

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi joe
    20200616_100303_Moment.jpghttps://www.satpimps.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=69098 &d=1592299457

I hope you can open the above attached picture of my remote handset, this is my only control of the box.
    can you explain the "key" instructions you gave for example you say " go to right key" and so on key references as they relate to my control handset.
    I really appreciate you trying to help as I say I just want to use this box as a browser which I would have thought should be possible as it is described in manual as a 1st action before installing kodi or anything else e;g:: vpn . etc.
    stay safe and cheers for your help.

Thanks
    > V < OK BUT it may be for another model as you said you do have press button reset on your box,looks like the memory battery needs replacing.or the reed only chip has lost its factory program replacing the battery SHOULD bring back the reset button program but no g/tee

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    hi joe
    I assume your ref to "reset button" as i said when I press switch off options I get power off,custom timer, reboot and master user, the only reference I have to reset is your and others attention to a hidden button in the av socket which dsn't appear to do anything.
    when I switch on the next time I still get same screen and program, it seems the only adjustment control I have is limited to the installed openelec/kodi programme.
    cheers

Thanks
    like i said if your box has the battery (internal coin cell) back up memery system,no battery power,,,no RESET possible,replace if possible and reset memory SHOULD become available,but NO G/TEE.

Thanks
    SOME PREPROGRAMMED ready to use sellers sometimes make there programs to block resets and reprograming,sell more boxes that way so if its a locked box or you are not technical you are stuck with what yove got...sorry
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 17-06-2020 at 11:30 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I have quite a few of the old MX boxes ,Android software 4.2.2. I have had Jarvis and Isenguard on them , they wont install newer versions of Kodi . Not sure if they are the same boxes as your but they have MX, MXV ,MX Pro stamped on the top .Within the the Andriod settings ,more settings - backup/reset allows you to completely wipe the box and will reload Android to the day it was when you got it . Done it loads of times on these old boxes and my newer box.
    My boxes may be diiferent to yours as when switching on the box it boots to Android ,then I would have Kodi and lots of addons [zip files] on a flash drive plugged in ready to install .