Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Premier League Football Clubs Going Broke !

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts

Premier League Football Clubs Going Broke !

With "No Play No Pay" taking place the clubs have no income from gate receipts or television revenue coming in, all those expensive players on £100,000 or more a week could break the bank, the folly of overpaying for players is coming back to haunt them as no more revenue for the next six months is a real possibilty.

I'd have a good laugh about their situation if it wern't for the fact I'm currently bored out my brain with dull arsed tv and inactivity, if it wasn't for the big stock of beer in my garage I'd be a candidate for the funny farm already, and that just the first week of it with many more to come.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

freebe (06-04-2020), Nikkas (05-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Only 5 weeks gone here in Spain TonyO, some to go yet

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maurice For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    you would think they would get 80% of their wages up to a maximum of £2500 per month (not per hour)

hope they can manage , lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

gibson (27-03-2020), JOE.MADDISON (26-03-2020), Nikkas (05-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Bugger, just been extended by 2 more weeks.
    Stay safe all

Regards

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Surely you mean months, it took the chinese 3 months to get a drop in new cases ! they were coming from a worse place and the infection cases have only just started to drop.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

Barney (29-03-2020), echelon (27-03-2020), maurice (27-03-2020), trotwood (29-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,249 Times in 2,030 Posts
    It took the china 3 months because they done everything right , they tested everyone's temp. and wearing
    PPE [ Personal Protective Equipment ] no exceptions plus they got testing done in a mass way organized without delays ...China done Tests for Corona Virus and within 4hrs results were provided and everyone obeyed orders and rules without exception .But we can already clearly see that is far from the case in Europe,UK And USA ...lots are obeying but too many are not which is why this is still spiking up something ridiculous every day , China acted fast and are still trying to act quickly they are still far from being in the clear even yet with 55 cases average per day and possible there will be 2nd waves hitting china , it is possible to get CV19 Again lets not forget ... they are being way too premature in opening everything up again in my opinion but we see China is trying to remain strong and they will be ready to fight back which is a real bright light at the end of this very dark tunnel respect to China and their people .

This Covid-19 has potential to kill well over a million people its already infected half a million this is no joke ,
    Premier League Football Clubs like all other sports and their players and staffing will surely struggle a little but will bounce back eventually
    the Whole world is on Lock down of some description now so its not like they can do anything or go anywhere this is a true life Resident Evil movie becoming our every day reality which is more scary than anything else , footballers and other sporting people and their crazy stupid wages were never a reality that could last forever and a day anyhow they now need to live in the REAL world ....its not like they ever actually worked for a living anyhow so they have no right or valid reason to cry or moan
    STAY AT Home and Flatten The Curve !! F*ck Money it'll all be just a useless waste of infected paper in next to no time anyhow wait 'n see !!
    Last edited by Barney; 29-03-2020 at 12:36 AM.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Barney For This Useful Post:

Aldo (29-03-2020), gibson (29-03-2020), holmroad (29-03-2020), JOE.MADDISON (29-03-2020), johnhenry (29-03-2020), manic01 (30-03-2020), maurice (01-04-2020), trotwood (29-03-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Looking at the way the Corona virus is probably going to run for at least 3 months the Premier League and championship will have to be abandoned for the season 2019/20, the current standings will probably be declared the final finishing positions, this means two up and two down with no play off's and Liverpool winning the Premier league.

There is no scenario where any games can continue be played during a lock down so finishing the Champions or E-uropa league is not possible, the eight qualifiers will probably get a bye into next years competition.

Salvaging next season should be the priority for the governing bodies now , they have 5 months to get their act together, as for the football clubs and the over-paying TV companies their finances are in total ruin, not to mention subscribers who paid for coverage they won't receive, I bet the tv companies don't give any money back to them !
    Last edited by TonyO; 01-04-2020 at 01:59 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    There could be lots of legal action, regarding promotion, relegation, and failure to fulfil contracts, not to mention problems with the transfer windows.
    As there is no Euro 2020, postponed until next year, there could still be time to complete some leagues, and trophies.

This break has come in very useful, for some clubs, including Spurs, and Liverpool, who were both looking a bit tired, but not so good for Aston Villa, who are currently in the bottom two, with a game in hand, or some other clubs, who will no doubt take action, if relegated. No doubt Liverpool would have still won the league, but I think they would have also lost a few more games.

I was looking forward to Spurs v Man Untied, as Spurs looked dodgy, without any strikers, and United were full of confidence, then the game was called off, giving Spurs a chance to get both Kane, and Son back, and Jose time to prepare his team.

The relegation battle, and the top 4/5, with City facing a Champions League ban, was looking good, not to mention the Champions League, where City had a good chance of doing well, or the ****** League, where United were already into the quarter finals, after winning 5-0 away.

Leeds look like finally gaining promotion, except this virus outbreak could stop them, which again would probably result in legal action.

No matter what decisions are made someone isn't going to like the outcome, and try legal action.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

maurice (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    Disgusting that 3 premier league clubs are using the Governments 80% wages scheme to pay there non playing staff, all while the players are still getting the full wages of £100k a week plus. Its an absolute disgrace that us tax payers are in effect funding Tottenham, Norwich and Newcastle while the mega rich players sit there and do NOTHING!!!!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bonovox For This Useful Post:

freebe (06-04-2020), manic01 (01-04-2020), Mickha (01-04-2020), Nikkas (23-04-2020), saintomer1866 (01-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
    Disgusting that 3 premier league clubs are using the Governments 80% wages scheme to pay there non playing staff, all while the players are still getting the full wages of £100k a week plus. Its an absolute disgrace that us tax payers are in effect funding Tottenham, Norwich and Newcastle while the mega rich players sit there and do NOTHING!!!!
    I totally agree with what you have said, it has been suggested by some Toon fans that the players take a £1000 a week reduction to help pay the NUFC Staff members wages while this situation carries on, and the sooner NUFC get rid of Ashley the better for all concerned, and it can't come a day too soon.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Is this article a late April Fools?
    PFA says Premier League 30% pay cut plans would harm NHS

Code:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692
    I'm no accountant but surely if you gave the NHS the money, instead of paying the overpaid players, and getting a proportion back in tax, it would be far better for the NHS?

I can understand the general staff, of even a premier league club, need the money, but I doubt a 30% cut, to someone on £100,000 a week, would greatly affect their living standards.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (05-04-2020), trotwood (05-04-2020)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    My heart bleeds for the overpaid underworked multi-millionaire players, once you get into that scale of earnings their accountants don't want to give anything away, no matter what the cause, thy've basically lost touch with the real world and don't care.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

dog-man (05-04-2020), gibson (05-04-2020), gunneradt (11-04-2020), Nikkas (05-04-2020), trotwood (05-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I see already one former man u and England striker whom was probably one of the top earners in the premiere league, has written in his weekly s u n d a y t I m e s article, (which I presume he's getting paid for) is complaining about footballers being made scapegoats.
    Last edited by trotwood; 05-04-2020 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,239 Posts
    It is the SKY / BT sports subscribers who are paying for these high wages and who are getting zero. Hopefully things will change once this is all over.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Just read that Liverpool have put their staff on furlough, and some ex players are furious:
    Code:
    https://talksport.com/football/680697/sport-news-live-rooney-premier-league-government-walker-lockdown-man-city-furlough/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by traveller View Post
    It is the SKY / BT sports subscribers who are paying for these high wages and who are getting zero. Hopefully things will change once this is all over.
    And A m a z o n Prime Video?

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    Just read that Liverpool have put their staff on furlough, and some ex players are furious:
    Code:
    https://talksport.com/football/680697/sport-news-live-rooney-premier-league-government-walker-lockdown-man-city-furlough/
    They have now decided not to do it.

Thanks
    Yep cos of the absolute disgust from former players such as Carragher and Collymore. Daniel Levy doesn't give a **** though and he'll screw the tax payer for every penny he can get. The Spurs fans should be disgusted by this. Had this been Man United doing this then I would be. United are actually paying all their non playing staff full money which is only right in my opinion. Same as City. Really hope that Sky and BT try and claim their money back from these clubs. They behave as if this crisis has nothing to do with them.
    Last edited by bonovox; 07-04-2020 at 03:28 AM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to bonovox For This Useful Post:

manic01 (07-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I don't think any money will be returned, but they might offer some deals, for next season, to allow them to recoup some of the money.
    The big question is will it be passed on to those still subscribing.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Given that extreme cir***stances require extreme solutions the EPL could space the weekly fixtures to show a game every day once the league resumes, that way at least the tv money maximises the clubs earnings again, with social spacing likely and clubs playing at empty grounds they could show all the saturday 3pm games as well because there won't be any attendances to be concerned about.

This season is gone, they have to try and save next season now and the clubs if they survive who should be playing in it, the tv money could be their only lifeline untill social spacing is eased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast