Thread: Complete guide to installing a VPN in Blackhole using VPN manager

Hybrid View

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

Complete guide to installing a VPN in Blackhole using VPN manager

Complete guide to installing a VPN in Blackhole using VPN manager on a VU+ box. Updated 15/01/2021

This example uses CyberGhost

Stage 1 – Install VPN Manager You can install from the Satvenus repository - unfortunately you cannot seem to be able to run VPN Manager and Satvenus on the same system at the same time but you can run it from the Satvenus repository at http://178.63.156.75/paneladdons/Pluginsoe20/other/ without having the actual Satvenus app on your system.

Stage Stage 2 - Make a folder vpn on your HDD or two folders (vpn and vpn 2) if you want two different vpn's.

Stage 3. Fnd your config from your VPN provider (Note this is accurate for CyberGhost but the principal should be similar for other VPN providers)
    Open your account details for your vpn – on CyberGhost its “My account.” Set up a new device” – on cyberghost you do it under “Other Apps” – name that device. You then need to “select protocol”, I chose OpenVpn =>23, Select Country, and then “Server Group” choose “Premium Servers”. Click Green box “Save Configuration”. configuration. You can choose only 1 address however I have setup two different ones under different names, 1 in England and 1 in Switzerland and put them in the vpn and vpn2 HDD folders that I made earlier.

The config file will look like that below. Note that I have underlined and made bold the line you need to change which is “Auth-user-pass”. It needs to point to the path of the pas.key – pas.key is a file they you need to make that shows the user and pwd – this file (I made it with notepad++) looks like this
    0W9rBQ8etC which is user
    FZhCKku7Bdr which is password. Note these are not your usual vpn user and passwords. Note these user and pwd are examples only and do not work!

They will look like this on your notepad file
    0W9rBQ8etC
    FZhCKku7Bdr

Note that you do not label them user or Password in the pas.key but just use the script as shown.

Config looks like this (Some details have been changed to protect privacy)

client
    remote 2-1-gb.cg-dialup.net 313
    dev tun
    proto udp
    auth-user-pass /hdd/vpn/pas.key

resolv-retry infinite
    redirect-gateway def1
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    nobind
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    auth SHA256
    ping 5
    ping-exit 60
    ping-timer-rem
    explicit-exit-notify 2
    script-security 2
    remote-cert-tls server
    route-delay 5
    tun-mtu 1500
    fragment 1300
    mssfix 1200
    verb 4
    comp-lzo

ca ca.crt

cert client.crt

key client.key

Load the 5 files into hdd/vpn/ (vpn is the folder that you should have made on your hard drive, see next section on using VPN Manager))

Stage 3 - Using VPN Manager

Open VPN manager from Blackhole plugins menu item (you will have needed to reboot after downloading vpn manager, for it to show up in your plugins.)

When open click menu on your VU remote.
    You will see a row of menu items, that read:

“All configs in one folder” – Set to “Yes”

“Save Directory configs” – click ok on it and you will see the HDD directories – go down the row to find the name of the vpn directory (in the example its vpn), Don’t click ok but do click the green button (save – this should save the directory and will be shown as such at the top).
    Click Exit

The menu should appear again. – Find username and enter the username given to you by the VPN provider –whilst on the username entry press the first digit of the username on the remote and the virtual keyboard should appear. Complete user name and when finished click ok on the virtual keyboard. Repeat for password given to you by the VPN provider.
    Stage 4 – activate VPN Remember the username and password is not your usual VPN suppluier user/password but the one that is in your config that yo were given.

Open VPN Manager and under the Open VPN logo there is a large box and in it should be the name of your VPN.
    Click ok on the VU remote whilst highlighting the VPN provider name and it should connect. Progress can be seen in the right hand box and eventually the IP address and name of the new provider will be shown. If the vpn is not active then the ISP address of your usual connection is shown - note that I have noticed that although this does work on other images the name of the new provider is not always shown on some of these images. If you are uneasy whether this is really working you can go to Blackhole apps “openvpn” press blue for the log and you will see from the log that all is fine.
    Last edited by Rainhampete; 20-03-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: clarification

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rainhampete For This Useful Post:

Aldo (07-01-2021), BLODWEN (15-03-2021), hda5 (26-03-2020), port06 (15-01-2021), saintomer1866 (26-03-2020), seagate1 (26-03-2021), sonic1 (26-03-2020)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    any chance of any help doing above. been trying for a week LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 3,283 Times in 1,494 Posts
    What problem are you having ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sonic1 For This Useful Post:

hda5 (20-03-2021)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I have edited the posting to clarify a few points in my earlier posting and hope that it helps. I have also replied to your message to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainhampete For This Useful Post:

hda5 (20-03-2021)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,
    I have found this very interesting and I have followed it closely. However, I had a complete set on my VUsolo on Openpli and chose not to change image atm. I can get most of the way, but am stuck when trying to do final stage since each time I look to set the VPNmanager I get the message VPN cant be open - 'future file' is not present. Is there any way I can find this or add it? All files have been fully added as per sheet - is there a place t find it or a file to add for this> Many thanks for any help - just being lazy since I didnt want to reflash the box. Cheers - Brain

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    What VPN are you using please?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    I think he's using Private Internet Access, and his receiver is a VU+ Solo 4K.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi Both,
    Thanks for passing the info on Mickha - that is correct.Although I load in the .ipk file for the VPN, it does not show up after restart, and seeking to open it that 'future file' message comes up. All files as specified are set up on openvpn file in the box and the openvpn file is present but not in plugins. VPNmanager also inserted. Openpli 7.3 oct2020 updated 3 days ago, and manager 1.1.6.
    Any help gratefully received. Cheers - Brain

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    Hopefully somebody using OpenPli can help, as I think that they are still using Python 2, and not the later Python 3.