Thread: Hello again ;)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 704 Posts

Hello again ;)

Back after few years away from sat scene
    Just a quick question about the tuts in VU+ section.Can they still be used on boxes bought from the sponsor? Kinda dated guides and since I'm new to Linux I don't know if I can use them to the letter. I'm pondering finally giving in and getting a VU+ but have so many questions etc :( They do not ship them with image pre-installed do they? I found some other boxes on the well known trading site like already Zgemma and Octagon with everything pre-installed and ready to go, but would rather spend my money here.(loads of good memories from this forum) QUestion is, will I manage to set it up myself? Simple setup on 13E only ( i got rid of motorised and multifeed dishes that I had before) Oh, and I need to be able to record at least one channel and watch another so looking at Uno and above
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 29-02-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Thanks
    if you buy a vu box .google vu forums join one. download the openvix or other software. put on usb stick, plug in to recr and install,after booting follow wizard instructions

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

Roadrunner (29-02-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Welcome back to pimps RR,
    there is no need at all for you to google or join any vu forums,
    nor do you have to use OpenVix, there are plenty of other images available that will all offer you the setup wizard including OpenATV, OpenBlackHole, pure2 and OpenPli. You will find that they vary slightly in layout but all have similar content with the odd thing different to the others.
    I would advise you to try them all and see what one suits you the best.

All the images mentioned will be used by Satpimps members (and they will probably all think that the one they use is the best ) so once you've had a look just ask any questions you have about specific images here.

St.O

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saintomer1866 For This Useful Post:

echelon (01-03-2020), Roadrunner (29-02-2020)

Thanks
    Cool, I'm gonna do some more reading before I go ahead and buy tho.
    I Still don't know what's with them images, say I setup one then decide to try another, do I need to setup everything from scratch again (I mean plugins channels lines etc?) Or does the VU support multiboot (or whatever its called but I like the idea) and I setup several images all at once and then boot to the one I like ( do I set them up individually or by getting plugins on one they get installed across all images and so on and on..) And the idea of having to ftp everything scares the cr*p out of me. All this seems a bit much for me to fathom atm hence the idea of buying something on the cheap like zgemma or Octagon already pre-installed with everything and learning as I use it.. But I absolutely love VU+ and would rather get that one ( if I can handle it somehow) Decisions , decisions.. I have wifes blessing and permission and am itching to get somethin asap

Thanks
    i have set up vuzero 4k edison,mutant zgemmma and others and found openvix the easiest to use have never needed to use ftp,downloaded and installed software,followed the wizard set up tuner,downloaded plugins (oscam latest) bought some lines(cccam)converted them with forums softcam concierge program,sent converted lines to box,started oscam,and worked

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

Roadrunner (01-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I have a solo2 and duo2, both with internal hdd and both running openBH 4.2 in the flash

yes you can set up a multiboot if you want to try other images, have a micro usb stick in the back (say 32 gig) and an internal hdd fitted, make sure its twin tuner or more (like mine) so you can record on 2 channels as a minimum or watch using 1 and record on the other

some of the alternatives cannot have an internal hdd but can be dual or triple tuner , again with a micro usb in the back (say 32 gig)

I dont know about the latest which may be 4k ones but the above are the basics I would advise regardless of HD or 4k

the zgemma I have tried have been single , dual and triple tuner, but all could not handle an internal hdd, so external only , plus I found there were less options for the image, like say only openATV

10. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Roadrunner (01-03-2020)

Thanks
    the latest zgemmas have a sd slot on back and multi images can be installed there.i have not done this on mine,as i am happy with the software i have,but instructions are out there for sd multi-boot.the manual has only a basic simple set up,and other setup have to be worked on/found,software is loaded via usb.
    Last edited by JOE.MADDISON; 01-03-2020 at 12:56 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

Roadrunner (01-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thank you for your replies guys
    Seems a little less complicated than I initially thought At least to get it up and running, suppose rest will come to me in time. Only thing that I'm unsure of are the channel lists? Do I need to download them or create them myself externally and then load them to the box, or can the sat just be scanned and channels can be sorted using remote like on normal box (spiderbox or other non linux box?) Also would want to buy a Unicable lnb for it. Can you recommend one that works best with VU? Or it doesn't really matter which I choose? Also, is it better to have it ready at initial setup with the wizard or can it be easily added later. I'm 99% sure I'll go with this one: https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/vu-uno-...-receiver.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roadrunner; 01-03-2020 at 11:49 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,404 Posts
    You can scan the channels in, make your own boquets, (favourites), and copy the channels, to your bouquets, using your receiver, the menu options, and your remote, or use software like dreamboxedit, to download your scanned in channels, from your receiver, or off the net, make your bouquets, copy all the channels you want, in those bouqets, then upload it to your receiver.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

Roadrunner (01-03-2020), saintomer1866 (03-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanks for your advise guys
    Just placed an order for VU+ Uno from Goldwafers.
    Also ordered new 32 gig USB stick and Unicable Lnb from another place as Goldwafers don't stock them.
    I hope I can handle it tho

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

saintomer1866 (03-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,747 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Yes I think you will be fine,
    anything you can't get your head around just ask.

If you are using a Windows PC, rather than a Linux, I would recommend you get a good Unix editor for creating/modifying any VU files on your PC. Something like gedit (which is free) will be perfect
    Code:
    https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit#Download
    Further discussion should now continue in the appropriate VU section

St.O
    Last edited by saintomer1866; 03-03-2020 at 08:06 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saintomer1866 For This Useful Post:

Mickha (03-03-2020), Roadrunner (03-03-2020)