Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Corona virus

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    The medical consensus seems that everyone eventually will get corona virus, some won't notice it at all while some get mild symptoms but others get a flu like reaction, a minority get a really bad reaction and a smaller number suc***b to the disease.

How bad you get it depends on your health and fitness plus your age and what shape your immune system is in, if you have underlying health problems along with bad lifestyle habits you will probably be in the badly affected group, some poor souls will just be prone to getting it bad whatever they do fit or not, maybe their DNA or their forbearer’s parents lack of exposure to the previous Corona outbreaks has left them susceptible to getting it.

Because everyone will be eventually be exposed to it the fatality numbers will be relatively big, even though its a small percentage overall, its also a bit of a lottery who gets what !

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

Barney (25-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    The medical consensus seems that everyone eventually will get corona virus, some won't notice it at all while some get mild symptoms but others get a flu like reaction, a minority get a really bad reaction and a smaller number suc***b to the disease.

How bad you get it depends on your health and fitness plus your age and what shape your immune system is in, if you have underlying health problems along with bad lifestyle habits you will probably be in the badly affected group, some poor souls will just be prone to getting it bad whatever they do fit or not, maybe their DNA or their forbearer’s parents lack of exposure to the previous Corona outbreaks has left them susceptible to getting it.

Because everyone will be eventually be exposed to it the fatality numbers will be relatively big, even though its a small percentage overall, its also a bit of a lottery who gets what !
    Exactly, everyone will get this - just the same as everyone has had a cold or the flu at some point. All this lock-down is doing is slowing the infection rate so that the hospitals are not over-run and can have time to get some PPE and have enough beds, nurses etc to cope.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

echelon (26-04-2020)

Thanks
    As posted earlier in this thread, my wife is suspected of having cancer. She has symptoms which suggest this.
    She pushed her GP to refer her, which he reluctantly did.
    A consultant then sent a letter saying that he suspects possible cancer and is regarding her as an urgent case for investigation.
    Then she was told that she would be getting an appointment very soon.
    Today she received a letter saying that due to the corona virus, hospitals are not good places for some people to be and therefore it will be some time before they will start investigations.
    This is despite there now being a campaign to advise people to continue reporting serious health issues and seek help.
    I am bloody fuming.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

catseye (25-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020), mrdude (26-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    Exactly, everyone will get this - just the same as everyone has had a cold or the flu at some point. All this lock-down is doing is slowing the infection rate so that the hospitals are not over-run and can have time to get some PPE and have enough beds, nurses etc to cope.
    There is another set of bonuses in delaying the peak (or flattening the curve as politicians like to call it), that is humans are generally fitter in summer, we get more UV in summer and viruses have a shorter life as the temperature rises. Hopefully, by late Autumn those very mobile people will have had the infection and recovered so we should be on the declining side of the curve.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Detlef For This Useful Post:

Bod (27-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    As posted earlier in this thread, my wife is suspected of having cancer. She has symptoms which suggest this.
    She pushed her GP to refer her, which he reluctantly did.
    A consultant then sent a letter saying that he suspects possible cancer and is regarding her as an urgent case for investigation.
    Then she was told that she would be getting an appointment very soon.
    Today she received a letter saying that due to the corona virus, hospitals are not good places for some people to be and therefore it will be some time before they will start investigations.
    This is despite there now being a campaign to advise people to continue reporting serious health issues and seek help.
    I am bloody fuming.
    That's terrible m8, and my heart really goes out to you. My sister died of cancer about 5 years ago, she found out on her 46th birthday and lasted about 6 months after being told. It was the worst time of my life so far watching her slowly die. I know what you're going through - the health service have the tools & doctors etc, and with the amount of money that gets raised every year to fight cancer - you'd think it should have been cured decades ago. Now your wifes life has been 'put on hold' - according to the health service, but for you and your family it's caused stress and worry. Can you not try another doctor, hospital, write to your MP etc? Time of getting treated is essential in this case.

My little brother died a few months ago (47), and currently my step dad has terminal cancer with maybe about a month or two at most to live - so like I say, I know how you feel. I hope everything works out for you and your family - but you need to press these people because the reality is that you're wife is just a bit of data on a computer screen to them, Phone the doctor again tomorrow (Monday) & tell him what the hospital said - get him to pull some strings, and tell him you're going to kick up fook with the media, MP etc if they don't get their arse in gear.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

3tv (26-04-2020), Barney (26-04-2020), Bod (27-04-2020), catseye (26-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020), manic01 (26-04-2020), trotwood (26-04-2020)

Thanks
    I was thinking of writing to our local MP. I just might do that.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

3tv (26-04-2020), Barney (26-04-2020), Bod (27-04-2020), catseye (26-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020), manic01 (26-04-2020), mrdude (26-04-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,189 Times in 1,180 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    I was thinking of writing to our local MP. I just might do that.
    Do a google on who it is & email him or her
    Will save a lot of time at the minute

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catseye For This Useful Post:

Bod (27-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by catseye View Post
    Do a google on who it is & email him or her
    Will save a lot of time at the minute
    I know who our MP is.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

Bod (27-04-2020), echelon (26-04-2020), manic01 (27-04-2020)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567