Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus

Thanks
    I quite agree, what is wrong with people? I have been disappointed to see such selfish behaviour all over the place. You probably saw women in an Australian supermarket fighting over toilet rolls on the news. I am in Western Australia at the moment, I should return to UK next week, and I was staggered to see the shelves bare in shops here even though there were only a handful of confirmed cases.
    Pensioners and people on welfare here are being given $750 each, this is supposed to be to "keep them spending" well the last time they had a handout was the GFC, at the time most people spent it on a holiday in Bali.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

Barney (15-03-2020), catseye (14-03-2020), echelon (13-03-2020), holmroad (13-03-2020), Nikkas (13-03-2020), trotwood (13-03-2020)

Thanks
    Found this quite interesting as a comparison of what's going on at the moment. I can't even really remember swine flu from 11 years ago but at the time government officials were predicting that it would kill over 3000 in this country and that was a best case scenario. In the end it killed 200.
    _https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jul/16/swine-flu-cases-rise-britain
    Last edited by bonovox; 13-03-2020 at 04:34 AM.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bonovox For This Useful Post:

echelon (13-03-2020), holmroad (13-03-2020), Nikkas (13-03-2020), trotwood (13-03-2020)

Thanks
    All our offices in the UK & Europe are closed until further notice. We are all in WFH mode now except Data Centre staff who are reduced to vital personnel only.

We have enough food in. Already had bog role, hand wash & sanitizer. Online shopping only from now on & effin door to door people will be ignored.

Might release equity now & buy that little sporty job I have always wanted.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikkas For This Useful Post:

holmroad (13-03-2020), trotwood (13-03-2020)

Thanks
    The morons are panic buying everything now.

We are struggling to source nappies for the grandson. If it continues we will go to the old-fashioned washable nappies if you can still get them.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

holmroad (14-03-2020), Nikkas (14-03-2020), trotwood (13-03-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I live in north London,
    Once a month I get a long weekend off thursday to sunday I was off so today Friday me and wife went to our usual sainsburies ********** its in winchmore hill around 0930 for our weekly shop.
    Its usually not busy but knew something wrong when barely found parking space.
    I could not believe what I saw the place was packed out I would say 80% of the shelves were empty may be more queues in checkouts horrendous.
    We just shopped what we could and left.
    I dont know if it's the same for most off you but I felt physically sick and was glad when I got home.
    Last edited by trotwood; 13-03-2020 at 09:24 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trotwood For This Useful Post:

catseye (14-03-2020), holmroad (14-03-2020)

Thanks
    I wish the government would force supermarkets to ration stuff but that would probably need the army to assist with policing that as supermarket staff would just get a load of abuse and violence if they try to stop people buying too much of one item.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

Barney (15-03-2020), Nikkas (14-03-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    The problem with some thing like that they would just go with a number of their relatives and still get duplicate amounts.
    I totally agree some thing needs to be done as there are less mobile or more needy customers whom need to be served.

Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    I wish the government would force supermarkets to ration stuff but that would probably need the army to assist with policing that as supermarket staff would just get a load of abuse and violence if they try to stop people buying too much of one item.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to trotwood For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (14-03-2020)

Verified Registered User funtime26's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm sawing kitchen roll in half and selling it as toilet roll...making a covid fortune!

A joke before anyone gives me grief! :o

I'm of the opinion lets catch it now whilst there are hospital beds available!
    Last edited by funtime26; 13-03-2020 at 11:10 PM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funtime26 For This Useful Post:

catseye (14-03-2020), freebe (15-03-2020), Nikkas (14-03-2020)

Thanks
    seems like older people go and sick people
    my mum is scared she is on oxegin
    this corona virus seems to get closer and closer. to some one every day

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

catseye (14-03-2020), holmroad (14-03-2020), Nikkas (14-03-2020)

Thanks
    Once the idiots have all stockpiled we will not see them again for well over a month, so hopefully life will return to normal for the rest of us. Have to say the BBC did not help yesterday showing empty shelves on the news, this media hype only ramps up the problem,

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

Barney (15-03-2020), catseye (14-03-2020), Dark Cloud (14-03-2020), trotwood (14-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,192 Times in 1,181 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Down south they are wearing face masks and hoarding toilet rolls and pasta ffs

Here up north we are licking door handles in order to try to get 2 weeks off work.

Ian.
    Just popped in local co op & shelves are empty
    Signs up saying customers limited to one item per customer

As for these special gels
    Washing up liquid & normal soap is fine

The amount of people I come across daily very poor hygiene is shocking
    You would think some of them live in the 16th century

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catseye For This Useful Post:

johnhenry (14-03-2020), trotwood (14-03-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Just been to Aldi, and the manager said the takings are just short of the takings for the Xmas week, and have now limited you to max 4 items of any product. Madness

On another note, My Brother landed in Barbados yesterday to start his 65th birthday cruise, only to wake up this morning to find it's been cancelled, and the boat is returning to Southampton later today(8 day voyage), to say he's gutted is an understatement.
    Only been planning it for 2 years.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Why are people buying Bog Rolls!!!!!!!! this virus does not give you the Sh!ts

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Because everytime someone sneezes, 100 people sh!t themselves

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave5118 For This Useful Post:

Barney (15-03-2020), freebe (15-03-2020), maurice (15-03-2020), Nikkas (15-03-2020), trotwood (16-03-2020), ^^COMPASS^^ (16-03-2020)

Thanks
    It's madness. We really struggled to get nappies and toddler food. Many of the shelves are bare.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dog-man For This Useful Post:

maurice (15-03-2020)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dog-man View Post
    How many people do you think are in the Army, also out of that number - how many are on operations, how many are needed to guard the camp, how many are training, how many are on the sick etc....

As much as you think, the Army can't do everything - successive governments haven't been able to recruit as much so it's undermanned, under funded and soldiers can get Covid-19 just as much as the next person - once 1 person in a camp gets it, the rest will soon follow.

As much as people want to think we have a massive Army - we don't, and remember the UK population is about 60 million - that's about 0.0025 soldiers per person (1 soldier for every 400 people) that's if you could use every soldier, and abandoned all the camps, none were sick and none were deployed elsewhere (Cypus/Falklands/etc) + they didn't sleep,eat,crap or have any time off.
    Last edited by mrdude; 16-03-2020 at 06:27 AM.

Thanks
    I am still appalled at human nature, this is a real eye opener for me, I am still in Western Australia and our next door neighbour has returned from the shops saying she is ashamed to call herself Australian so it is not just the UK affected by panic buying. There are still only a handful of cases here, the vast majority either having been overseas or had contact with someone who has. Despite this the shelves are now bare of foodstuffs, rice and pasta were first to go but now the meat and other shelves are empty as well.
    On a slightly lighter note the Queen Mary 2 is in Fremantle as part of a worldwide cruise, 700 passengers got off and a similar number were supposed to get on, first they were denied access including the relief captain, the previous one was on board for two and a half months. It was meant to sail on Sunday night calling in at many ports, it didn't, the next day all the passengers (over 2000) were told to get off and it will return to Southampton empty. I should leave here tomorrow and was expecting a half empty 380 for the first time ever. No such luck as it has been filled with cruise passengers trying to get home.

Thanks
    Just thought of something else to have a moan about, you probably noticed that moaning is one of my favourite pastimes.
    The governments of Oz and Nz have made everyone entering the country self isolate for 14 days. While this is probably done with admirable intent I wonder if they have really thought it through? for instance how to get from the airport, how to get food etc
    I read that the UK gov is thinking of making all over 70's self isolate, again probably a good intention but everyone over 70? I was 70 only a few weeks ago and in the summer I work every day as a skipper on a pleasure boat taking people to look at seals in our local harbour. The small family concern I work for has 5 people who would be prevented from working, they would find it difficult to get under 70 replacements with the necessary qualifications so their business will be severely affected. Although I suppose if travel is restricted there may not be any customers anyway.
    I think people are genuinely but unnecessarily worried about the virus, we have noticed here that people are noticeably less friendly and seem more serious and concerned.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,886 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by crabber View Post
    Just thought of something else to have a moan about, you probably noticed that moaning is one of my favourite pastimes.
    The governments of Oz and Nz have made everyone entering the country self isolate for 14 days. While this is probably done with admirable intent I wonder if they have really thought it through? for instance how to get from the airport, how to get food etc
    I read that the UK gov is thinking of making all over 70's self isolate, again probably a good intention but everyone over 70? I was 70 only a few weeks ago and in the summer I work every day as a skipper on a pleasure boat taking people to look at seals in our local harbour. The small family concern I work for has 5 people who would be prevented from working, they would find it difficult to get under 70 replacements with the necessary qualifications so their business will be severely affected. Although I suppose if travel is restricted there may not be any customers anyway.
    I think people are genuinely but unnecessarily worried about the virus, we have noticed here that people are noticeably less friendly and seem more serious and concerned.
    I think it is Austria that is has banned groups of people with more than 5 in it, so if the UK follows that path then some families won't even be able to go out together, let alone anyone go on a boat trip around the harbour.

It's not just people over 70, they have apparently said this will also extend to anyone with certain health conditions, Diabetes being 1 of them (there are more obviously but this is a big one as there are alot of people with that, such as my Wife, but many more that have it and don't even know about it).

Thanks
    Yes perfectly true, and the news seems to change constantly, in Western Australia they have just announced a state of emergency, this apparently allows new laws to come into action and was last used in 1942. So I think that this situation must be unprecedented for most of us. There is however an upside for me, which is that children are less affected. I fear giving it to my grandchildren I would hate to see children come to any harm, at least old idiots like me have had a life, theirs is just starting.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crabber For This Useful Post:

gibson (18-03-2020), johnhenry (16-03-2020)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast