Thread: Samsung Galaxy A5 phone number problem ? toolkit ?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts

Samsung Galaxy A5 phone number problem ? toolkit ?

Samsung Galaxy A5 phone number problem ? toolkit ?

Hi all

I have a problem with my new phone and ASDA/EE sim swap, wondering if anyone can help ? , my new A5 phone needed a NANO sim so I could not use my old micro SIM from an S5 mini because it was the old 2 in 1 and not a 3 in 1 sim card

short version

in ABOUT in device settings the phone is showing my new NANO sim as being the wrong number, its actually still showing the temporary phonenumber of the new NANO sim that asda posted to me.

after a bit of googling it seems this is difficult to change to my actual ported number from my old sim (and phone) , some results say use an IPHONE or a BLACKBERRY , I have neither

the phone actually works on my old number as asda have transferred or ported it to this new sim because they asked for the sim code near the barcode on the nano sim , but the embedded ABOUT phone number remains the now defunct sim card number that was posted to me despite being ported

so this keeps changing my CONTACTS number for me (personal number listed at the top of contacts), I have to delete it periodically so only my actual old and now ported phone number shows up

LONG VERSION

apparently this has been going on for years , mainly on SAMSUNG GALAXY phones , but also Google Pixels , Moto G,s and others too, it is said to be an android issue that has never been fixed , lol

sometimes it is said that a phone can say UNKNOWN or similar too

here is a link to what some say about the problem

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/...s8/td-p/189250

what I am looking for is either an APP like SIM TOOLKIT that can let me actually edit the phone number from the temporary number to my actual number on this nano sim, because that APP only lets ne read it, not change it

OR

a toolkit on a PC that lets me edit the number on the sim card within the phone to my correct phone number and not the temporary number that came with the new NANO sim ?

or some other workable alternative ?

I hope that makes sense ?

or do I really have to find someone with an Apple Iphone just to edit the number it its internal settings ? as is mentioned as a solution on the net ?

I have no issues in sorting out CONTACTS on the phone , its this embdded sim phone number that needs the temporary number that was assigned to it deleting, replaced by my actual ported over and correct mobile phone number, which you think would be a simple task !! but no , lol

thanks for reading

Dave

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    I got a bit confused reading this.

A micro SIM card can be simply cut down to nano size and you can get a cheap tool to do it.

Or have I missed the point.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Detlef For This Useful Post:

Nikkas (28-09-2020)

Thanks
    the old sim did not have the ability to be pushed out meaning I needed a cutter, so was easier to order a new sim from ASDA and port the number over, which I did , but the number embedded in the replacement sim stays on it and the phone registers to that number, so really it need editing and overwriting with the correct number. if it had been a vanilla sim with no phone number it may have been ok, but its a common problem when you google it, been happening for years, Android phones cannot overwrite it, Iphones can do it

too late now, I need to fix it , nobody told me until its too late, lol

ps:- I was told this was easy by various people plus by ASDA customer service too, its not

they said use Smartswitch to copy everything from the old phone to the new phone , after inserting the new replacement donor NANO sim into the new phone, before ringing up to have the phone number ported onto the new sim from the old one !!

1) whatsapp messages etc do not get copied, whatsapp deliberately do not allow this at all

I now know of 2 ways around this

1) if you backup to the cloud you do a restore from the clud into the new phone

or

2) you copy the whatsapp folder to your pc, then copy it to the new phone , then restore from the backup when asked to, you are given one chance to do this , it is not in the menu , it happens when you first start whatsapp on the new phone , a one time offer

I managed to do 2) because I do not use 1)

the new sim does not get the new number written into it when the number is ported , it retains the supplied phone number which is read by the phone , or you get UNKNOWN instead, see google for more info

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Hi Echelon

I wonder if this App wil be of any use to you:

h**ps://www.simtoolkit.info/#:~:text=The%20Sim%20Toolkit%20ap plication%20is%20an%20easy%20to,f eatures%20that%20the%20Sim%20Tool kit%20will%20offer%20you.

Thanks
    thanks a lot

I already downloaded that crazytech app sim toolkit and its great for reading the SIM details but wont let you overwrite the embedded numbers, shame because I thought it would too

cheers

Thanks
    I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 which I bought at Carphone Warehouse a couple of years ago, thankfully they had a tool which cropped my old vodafone sim with all my contacts on to fit the new phone, saving me the problem of getting a new sim.
    I would think most phone shops would hold this cropping tool as standard practice.

Not looking forward to having to change my phone in the future, as we are now limited by the lack of phone shop competition.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

echelon (28-09-2020)

Thanks
    I got a cropping tool to do the GF's SIM - she had a package that only needed topping up when its credit expired and that wasn't available from our local shop. They're dead cheap on the well ******* site and do the job. In fact I have lent it to several mates who needed to do the nano cropping and it still works OK.

Probably got to do the same to a French SIM soon as I need a French mobile number just to authorise the Linky* WiFi connection. I'll just do the authorisation then let it expire.

[* A Linky is the French name for their smart electricity meters]

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Detlef For This Useful Post:

echelon (30-09-2020)

Thanks
    Reference my last thread about my sim being cropped to fit my J5 phone, I meant to say I was told to keep the outer cropped bit of the sim, just incase I needed to fit back in my old mobile to extract further info off my old phones internal memory.

Here is what the outer crop sim looks like, and the cropped middle section can be fitted back in if required.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. The Following User Says Thank You to johnhenry For This Useful Post:

echelon (30-09-2020)

Thanks
    yep , I know that now , but was advised it was simply a case of a new free sim and swap over the phone number to the replacement sim , however, because of the incorrect embedded number being retained on the replacement sim I now know its not as simple in samsung phones and its better to crop the old sim using a NANO cropping tool in order to avoid this issue , if it needs cropping

the new sims are 3 in 1 , so 3 sizes can be easily pushed out as necessary

I have asked for a sim refresh but that hasnt cleared the old sim number and caused my phone contacts to show the incorrect number once more

its something people need to know about BEFORE swapping sims, not after

rant over , lol

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (30-09-2020), johnhenry (01-10-2020)

Thanks
    I'm actually surprised that any mobile allows a user to change the phone number (BTW I'm not doubting you).

If anyone can change a number what check would be made to stop someone entering a current number that they don't have registration authority to use?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Detlef For This Useful Post:

echelon (02-10-2020)

Thanks
    it doesnt really matter what is on the SIM, except that the phonews pick up that number and retain it somehow

the number they port works to the sim number you read off the sim card , so your phone number is associated to that particular sim and only that sim, but the problem is in the phone info screen it shows the number that used to be allocated to that sim but is no longer allocated to it, so your phone reads that number and adds it to your number at the top of the contacts, as a mobile number

when I noticed the problem existed was when I realised my displayed number at the top of the contacts list was showing the replacement sim card phone number , checking the details it showed 2 numbers for me, with the embedded number in 1st place and my actual number a lowly second. I can press minus and delete the additional number , but it comes back if you do a refresh or possibly if you switch off the phone and back on again, or a hard reset

it is just a nuisance , it doesnt affect me making or receiving calls or texts etc

it seems the only answer is to put it in an Apple phone and add my actual number into the settings, which then changes it on the sim

asda have tried refresh twice with no luck , so they advise contacting samsung, but its been going on for years with no fix in sight

18. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

johnhenry (03-10-2020)