Thread: Washed out colours using Firestick 4k

Thanks

Washed out colours using Firestick 4k

I have a Sony Bravia tv as well as an ****** Firestick 4K and a Panasonic pvr, the latter which has Netflix shortcutted on its remote control. I have subscribed to both Netflix and ****** Prime. The last is connected to HDMI 3 input on the Sony Bravia, the Panasonic on HDMI 1.

Now the issue. When I watch Netflix using the Panasonic by selecting Netflix on the remote control, Netflix loads and the colours are as vivid as a DVD or HD tv. If I watch Netflix or ****** Prime using the ****** Firestick, all loads ok but the picture quality is nowhere near as vivid as when watching through the Panasonic. It's as if the contrast is turned down and brightness too.
    As both the Panasonic and the Firestick are using my Virgin Media broadband there is no difference in wifi signal, so don't believe this is the cause of the problem.

I'd be grateful for suggestions as to the cause of the problem and how to remedy it. I'd like access to ****** Prime and as it's not acailable on the Panasonic, I have to use the Firestick.

If I've posted in the wrong section, could a mod please move to the appropriate forum. Thanks

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Probably a HDMI port limitation, My Sony tv only supports HDCP 2.2 via hdmi 1 and 2 inputs

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3tv For This Useful Post:

echelon (10-05-2019), minx (10-05-2019)

Thanks
    @3tv-thanks. When I get home, I'll try plugging the Firestick into the HDMI 1 port and see if that makes a difference.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to minx For This Useful Post:

echelon (10-05-2019)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Sony Bravia HDMI.jpg

This is the HDMI Spec on my Sony Bravia

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamrag1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi, your advice was correct. I substituted the Firestick with my DVD player (i.e. Plugged the Firestick to HDMI 2 and the lo and behold, lovely vivid colours on ****** Prime and Netflix on the Firestick. I'd assumed (wrongly) that a HDMI port was a HDMI port!
    Many thanks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to minx For This Useful Post:

echelon (10-05-2019)

Thanks
    @Hamrag- where did you find the spec on your tv? My manual doesn't have such detail. Thanks for posting.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to minx For This Useful Post:

echelon (10-05-2019)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    @minx - Pages 15 to 17 of the Sony Manual that came with the TV
    Another thought, It states that you must use a HDMI 2,0/2.1 cable to get Real 4k Resolution.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamrag1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Hamrag1. I'll see if I can download the full manual for my admittedly old Sony. One thing, it's not 4k compatible even though the Firestick is. So would a HDMI 2.0/2.1 cable actually make a difference in my case?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Spookily enough mine started doing that, on an Argos "Bush" branded 4K HDR TV. Worked for months as normal, then just this month began showing washed out colours, yellow was most affected. It's got to be the lead feeding the firestick, as TV's Netflix itself is not affected and can't try terrestrial, as I have no aerial.

I first tried resetting video to default, that seemed to fix it immediately. However, next time I switched it all on, same effect, unplugging the Firestick from the HDMI port and plugging in back in, sorts it. Oh, and it's not every time either that colours are washed out. Think I'll see if I have a 2.0/2.1 cable too, thanks.