Thread: how to remove paint from my 1.2m dish?.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

how to remove paint from my 1.2m dish?.

hi all i,ve a 1.2m irte prime focus dish which is aluminium and from years of sun and weather parts of the paint are gone you can see the silver aluminium.

my question is what should i use to get shut of the rest of the paint?.

also is a matt paint the best paint to use on it when i go and repaint it?.
    any advice be great thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    It depends on what kind of paint is on it, you could try brake fluid - take the dish down and paint it in brake fluid - then leave for a few hours, you can use soapy water to clean afterwards. If you're feeling more adventurous just use a paint stripper such as nitromors (as long as the paint is not water based or powdercoat) but make sure you wear gloves and eye protection as that stuff will burn your skin. Once again leave for about 15 minutes and use wire wool and latex gloves with some wire wool - then wash with soapy water and dry properly.

Then you can use a black matt such as hammerite (which will stop rusting and will last outside for a good few years).

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    The original paint was probably a powder coat - I just lightly sanded all the dish and re-painted with a white smooth metals paint. (This covered the bare aluminium & the existing left-over painted bits OK)

Thanks
    you can use any paint that is not lead based or metal flake
    I used a jet wash to take off the paint that somebody else painted on it they painted straight on to the dish with out rubbing it down so paint would key to dish
    Last edited by ABA; 24-04-2019 at 01:29 PM.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    It depends on what kind of paint is on it, you could try brake fluid - take the dish down and paint it in brake fluid - then leave for a few hours, you can use soapy water to clean afterwards. If you're feeling more adventurous just use a paint stripper such as nitromors (as long as the paint is not water based or powdercoat) but make sure you wear gloves and eye protection as that stuff will burn your skin. Once again leave for about 15 minutes and use wire wool and latex gloves with some wire wool - then wash with soapy water and dry properly.

Then you can use a black matt such as hammerite (which will stop rusting and will last outside for a good few years).
    aluminium does,nt rust

6. The Following User Says Thank You to butchyboy For This Useful Post:

manic01 (24-04-2019)

Thanks
    Red or Yellow is good paint to use

Thanks
    red or yellow aint a paint its a colour or paint

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ABA For This Useful Post:

manic01 (24-04-2019)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by butchyboy View Post
    aluminium does,nt rust
    You're correct, Iron rusts - however Aluminium oxidises and forms Aluminium oxide (the white looking corrosion). But as you were being pedantic over my choice of words - let me give you some advice. Sentences start with an upper case letter, 'does,nt' is spelled 'doesn't', all sentences end with punctuation - such as a period (full stop).

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,823 Posts

Icon11

Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    You're correct, Iron rusts - however Aluminium oxidises and forms Aluminium oxide (the white looking corrosion). But as you were being pedantic over my choice of words - let me give you some advice. Sentences start with an upper case letter, 'does,nt' is spelled 'doesn't', all sentences end with punctuation - such as a period (full stop).
    Usually in the uk we would use spelt not spelled but maybe that is just me being pedantic.
    'does,nt' is spelt 'doesn't'
    Last edited by manic01; 24-04-2019 at 03:52 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manic01 View Post
    Usually in the uk we would use spelt not spelled but maybe that is just me being pedantic.
    'does,nt' is spelt 'doesn't'
    You are being pedantic. If you Google 'Spelled or Spelt', you'll see that in British English both can be used (neither are wrong). In American English 'Spelled' is normally used.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I was not being pedantic at all mr dude,just having the crack.as for the lad lad red and yellow he eating to many m&m,s