Thread: How to see signal strength info?

Verified Registered User MysteryMan's Avatar
    Thanks

How to see signal strength info?

I have a Vu+ Solo2, running OpenVIX and connected to a motorised dish, using the USALS setting.

The location I put in for USALS was a bit hit and miss as the LNB mount was left over from when it was a twin-LNB and so just putting in my current long/lat does not work!

It has been fine for a while, but, just spent a frustrating afternoon trying to watch the footy and channels that would normally be clear (13E, 0.8W) were breaking up badly. When I checked on signal quality it was jumping all over the place.

The way I checked it was through the menu system, which is a bit of a pain and I wondered if there is an easier/quicker way to check on signal quality as I think I will need to tweak the location data to try to improve the signal.

Are there any recommended Android phone apps that would help with the set up?

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    I use DMsatfinder from google play. Pretty easy to use.

In the beeches
    Thanks
    One idea is to use the webif on a tablet or phone.

You can switch to any channel and bring up the signal strength meter. That is Menu - Setup - Tuner config - Signal finder

Then take the tablet or phone out to your dish and push the dish at the top and sides so you can see what setting is wrong. Try a few different satellites to see if there is a pattern.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    If your signal quality is jumping that badly I would first check your cable, and connections, to see if they've come loose, or for signs of water ingress.
    Also check if the signal is more stable on one polarity, Horizontal, or Vertical, as it could also be your LNB.

Thanks
    Thanks for all replies!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    If your signal quality is jumping that badly I would first check your cable, and connections, to see if they've come loose, or for signs of water ingress.
    Also check if the signal is more stable on one polarity, Horizontal, or Vertical, as it could also be your LNB.
    Good call, the solution was simple after all. A couple of weeks ago I was having to rearrange some of wiring behind the equipment and had to move the coax cable from dish. At the time, I thought that the plug connection was not too good, but, forgot to do something about it.

Anyway, just taken it off and remade the connection and I am back to a good stable signal and all the channels that were breaking up yesterday are now fine - phew!
    Last edited by MysteryMan; 03-03-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Thanks
    To see signal status just press "OK" twice, (2nd infobar)