Thread: Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2

Thanks

Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner DVB-C/T/T2

Hi, i'm hoping someone on here can give me a little help. I've had an Icecrypt 3500 for the past few years and it has finally started to die on me and I was looking at a change, I have narrowed my search down to this box. I am aware it is a cable not a satellite box and I do have an active incoming VM line.

My question is my knowledge is not extensive although I did manage to sort the previous box myself and keep it going, would this box be as easy to use /maintain and can anyone advise me which would be the best image to use for a relative novice, any other advice would also be appreciated. Thanks

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,353 Times in 1,398 Posts
    The VU+ Solo SE v2 is a satellite receiver, or a cable receiver, you just change the tuner:
    https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/Vu-Solo...-Receiver.html

You could also go for a VU+ Duo 2, which has two pluggable tuner slots, meaning you can have both satellite, and cable, in one receiver.
    Read the sticky guides, especially the one from Lee, of G|oldwafers:
    https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthrea...-up-Vu-Solo-SE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

jag123 (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Hi thanks am aware of the higher models, I was trying to keep to a budget. Having found the Vu+ Solo SE V2 for £159 for what I use it for it was good value, I don't need the satellite option with the cable box giving me HD channels and if i'm correct the options to watch and record being much better than just with a single lnb as I have right now.

Thanks for the heads up on the guide though that will come in usefull.

Banned
    Thanks
    go for the vu duo2 its a great satellite resever and u can have cable to in one box

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jag123 View Post
    go for the vu duo2 its a great satellite resever and u can have cable to in one box
    Why? I only have 1 feed from my dish to the box what apart from RAM do I get with this box that makes it worth the extra spend?

Banned
    Thanks
    look at gold wafers all the spec for the vu satellite boxes are there mate

Thanks
    I use Blackhole on my Vu+Turbo for cable I would assume using a Vu+ box would be roughly the same. Blackhole is definately a workable image for cable once you set your tuner up and have the relevant xml file and your provider set up.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cannydo For This Useful Post:

jag123 (28-06-2016), plodge (28-06-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cannydo View Post
    I use Blackhole on my Vu+Turbo for cable I would assume using a Vu+ box would be roughly the same. Blackhole is definately a workable image for cable once you set your tuner up and have the relevant xml file and your provider set up.
    Thanks for the confirmation I was hoping someone using cable as oppose to sat would reply, I hope this question doesn't break the rules as it's been a while since I've read them but I think I'm safe.

Is my understanding correct that if I am using cable the recording options are better than satellite or would I still need a twin tuner to record one channel and watch another?

Thanks
    You can record from the same transponder but if you a trying to record other channels ie (not the same transponder) you will need two tuners. I have a Vu+Solo SE single tuner hence I bought a Vu+Turbo external tuner for cable but if I understand it correctly you have a twin tuner? I think you'll need 2 cable feeds for what you are attempting good luck with that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cannydo For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Hmm I haven't purchased it yet I am still trying to make sure I know what I'm getting and how it works first,and weigh up my best option.

1) I have a satellite feed and a cable feed, so my options :- I either split the cable feed into two if I can workably do this? (or likewise the satellite I do have a dual LNB on the dish)

2) I get a hybrid box (or a box that I can add a second tuner) with one sat tuner and one cable and would need a line for each?

3) I get a single tuner something like the Vu+ Zero and save £50 but sacrifice a little cpu and ram (which I probably don't need with the single tuner) and don't record, which isn't really necessary as there are lot's of catchup options now and I also have a Nvidia sheild with kodi installed so can usually find it there.

Option 3 looks good to me unless I missed something simple?

Thanks
    Splitting your cable feed is something I wouldn't do it just makes one feed weaker than the other. If you have dual lnb and twin barrel cable coming to your house then you just need twin tuner box. There is the other option which is the way I went Satellite single tuner box with external tuner via usb as mentioned above. The end of the day it is your pennies to spent that will see which way you turn.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cannydo For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-06-2016)

Thanks
    Ok a rethink may be in order I might now look at the Vu+ Zero. I will use Kodi on the Shield for catchup instead of recording and attach my HDD for pause and rewind, as long as I can do that we don't really need any other features.

The only thing I haven't had with my satellite is HD channels which I believe we can get by using cable or am I wrong in this assumption also?
    Last edited by plodge; 28-06-2016 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    If you purchase the Vu Solo SE V2 model then you can simply get a Dual DVB-C/T/T2 tuner model which only needs 1 cable connected from your cable feed, this will give you a Dual Cable feed option due to the tuner splitting the feed internally so you can record one and watch another.

The Dual DVB-S2 tuner model requires 2 feeds from an LNB to do exactly the same thing

Regards

18. The Following User Says Thank You to digicon For This Useful Post:

echelon (29-06-2016)