Thread: Zgemma star 2 or another spiderbox 6000hd

Thanks

Zgemma star 2 or another spiderbox 6000hd

I've been on here as a "spectator" for about a year now and wondered if any of the experts out there had experience with both of these boxes... I've a 6000 and love it, but am now after a second box for another room and am tempted by the Zgemma. The secondary box would be hooked up to a fixed dish, leaving the spider on the motor... So, what would you recommend? Or do I wait for the next generation Spider?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Get a VU Zero m8, if you're spending money on a new box - that's a great box & blows those other boxes you mentioned away with features.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

echelon (11-08-2015), Roadrunner (12-08-2015), squiddo (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to reply fella... Which model would you go for and what features would it gave that I couldn't get with the other two? Would it demote the spider to the secondary box (just as the Mrs has got the hang of it!)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,346 Times in 704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    Get a VU Zero m8, if you're spending money on a new box - that's a great box & blows those other boxes you mentioned away with features.
    Agree on the boxes capabilities , but does it provide the 'extras' the SB is (out of the box)? I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I have moved on to the VU+ over a year ago but still think that some of the bespoke boxes are excellent value for money.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnormanwires View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to reply fella... Which model would you go for and what features would it gave that I couldn't get with the other two? Would it demote the spider to the secondary box (just as the Mrs has got the hang of it!)
    Go for another Spiderbox m8 . Have a look around the forum for other boxes capabilities and how to best use them and then buy it (when you are confident enough you can use the box to its full).
    In the meantime use something that is easy to use , Like a Spiderbox.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Spider box - 'other features' are available on VU zero m8 - as for IPTV - that can be viewed on the zero as well and there's heaps or free 'lines' available on the net if you know where to look.

I'll not say much more that this - my advice is to get the VU zero - for the small price difference - it blows the spiderbox away and is not limited to the amount of channels + IPTV streams it can have, also it's open source and the epg is miles better + it can be expanded to have more plugins (when you run out of space) etc by simply adding a usb thumb drive. It's skinnable , has HbbTV, newer hardware.

IPTV - let me say this about this - there are heaps of freely available IPTV links, and they are very easy to make yourself - in fact I think I'll post a guide soon on making them + post some movie.m3u files that has all the newest movies (which a VU zero can play easily).
    Last edited by mrdude; 12-08-2015 at 12:18 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrdude For This Useful Post:

jbvid (20-09-2015), Roadrunner (12-08-2015), squiddo (12-08-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdude View Post
    Spider box - 'other features' are available on VU zero m8 - as for IPTV - that can be viewed on the zero as well and there's heaps or free 'lines' available on the net if you know where to look.

I'll not say much more that this - my advice is to get the VU zero - for the small price difference - it blows the spiderbox away and is not limited to the amount of channels + IPTV streams it can have, also it's open source and the epg is miles better + it can be expanded to have more plugins (when you run out of space) etc by simply adding a usb thumb drive. It's skinnable , has HbbTV, newer hardware.
    Yep, and all this tech stuff again? Sometimes I think that members fail to read what is being asked and try to push their ideas to others. I stand firm behind the 'little boxes'' though.. sue me

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roadrunner For This Useful Post:

mrdude (12-08-2015)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Do any of these other boxes come with anything equivalent to the so called gift ? or are you left do get extras on your own .

Thanks
    The box you require is the box that does the functions you require of which you have to do some reading on here as suggested. I can sympathies with your dilemma my patience is growing thin waiting on this new Spider and I am seriously thinking about the Zero. I already own a Spider and SoloSE and this seem the logical step for me. You have much to contemplate as to what you require out of a new box do you require twin tuner do you have the need for IPTV without complicated procedures. You really need to list your priorities on a box for any concrete help from the fine members on here.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cannydo For This Useful Post:

jbvid (12-08-2015)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you discount the spider, which is a slightly different proposition after all, the Vu zero will be great box. However, if you are on a budget, the Zgemma is 30 quid cheaper from the sponsor and is twin tuner. The single tuner version can be had for little over half the price of the Vu.

FIL has the twin tuner version, and I've had a chance to play with it. With the right image and plugins it is a seriously impressive box for the money.

Thanks
    ive got a zgemma S and spot on for the money no complaints at all,runs really well zaps quite quick, scrolling is a bit clunky compared to solo2 which is a bit of an unfair comparison ,ideal for a second rec
    Last edited by simon 2003; 12-08-2015 at 01:28 PM.

Thanks
    Just an update - listening to all the sage advice opted for the vu+ solo2 and have to say I blooming love it!!! I bought it from the sponsor and can't praise the service enough - thanks to all who contributed to the thread. PS the spider is back in its box.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielnormanwires For This Useful Post:

DCG (20-09-2015), echelon (20-09-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,034 Times in 1,173 Posts
    I was hoping for some more experiences of the Zgemma Star 2S which is only a third the cost of the Vu+solo2 before I buy something new for the ski apartment.