Thread: 1.2 mtr Channel Master

Verified Registered User
    Thanks

1.2 mtr Channel Master

I've got a 1.2 CM thats been sat in the garage, after a failed attempt to set it up on a ground stand. I'm currently using a 88cm Triax with a south facing position. What am I likely to get that I'm not currently getting?

Im in a CW8 postcode, south of Manchester.

Ive not got planing permission and dont wont the hassle of wall mounting the dish for not much more. Plus the potential hassle off the neighbours......

Thanks in advance

Jase

Thanks
    what went wrong with the ground mount,ive had c/m 1.2 dish on ground mount for 25 years did take some setting up with superjack,but was a lot harder when i took off the superjack mount and fitted an 36volt h to h mount,and it is worth it size does matter.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JOE.MADDISON For This Useful Post:

Barney (17-12-2014)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    what went wrong with the ground mount,ive had c/m 1.2 dish on ground mount for 25 years did take some setting up with superjack,but was a lot harder when i took off the superjack mount and fitted an 36volt h to h mount,and it is worth it size does matter.
    It was where It had to go to be honest, line of sight was poor. Ive got a Jaeger 1224 to drive it. I want to keep the dish quite low down, between the upper and ground floor should clear the houses and trees. Plus it wont draw too much attention.

Where are you?

Thanks
    you will notice a significant difference between the TD88 and the 1.2m although if you wish to be compliant with the neighbours then the TD110 is a very good Go Between. you should be able to get a lot of the TP's from 7.3° west as well as a few of the Amos @ 4° west. Will also help with feed satellites.

The best thing is you can probably just swap the 88 over with the 110 quite easily on the same motor, with the 1.2m you will need the extra 4 core cable fro the Jeager and a G/V-Box etc...

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by digicon View Post
    you will notice a significant difference between the TD88 and the 1.2m although if you wish to be compliant with the neighbours then the TD110 is a very good Go Between. you should be able to get a lot of the TP's from 7.3° west as well as a few of the Amos @ 4° west. Will also help with feed satellites.

The best thing is you can probably just swap the 88 over with the 110 quite easily on the same motor, with the 1.2m you will need the extra 4 core cable fro the Jeager and a G/V-Box etc...
    I feel like I should set it up because I've got it. I've got a V box and the cable for the motor.

My brick on the house is a similar colour to the dish, they might not even notice it

Thanks
    my dish base is about 1ft 6ins above the ground,mid arc is south facing,4ft hedge 4yds in front of dish and across the road a row of terraced bungalows ,5yards to left and right of dish 4ft fences,but can receive most sats from turkey sat to 31 west.lifting the dish high of the ground often makes little or no difference.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE.MADDISON View Post
    my dish base is about 1ft 6ins above the ground,mid arc is south facing,4ft hedge 4yds in front of dish and across the road a row of terraced bungalows ,5yards to left and right of dish 4ft fences,but can receive most sats from turkey sat to 31 west.lifting the dish high of the ground often makes little or no difference.
    I think the only place to put it on the ground would be in the middle of the garden, I don't really want to do that.
    The other option is on the wall with the bottom of the dish about 7ft high.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,404 Posts
    Have you checked using a site like dishpointer.com?

You just type in your postcode, select a satellite, from the drop down box, then zoom in on the map, to your property, move the green icon, to where you'd like to site the dish, then use the obstacle checker feature to see if any obstacles, houses, trees, etc.. are in the way of your signal.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickha View Post
    Have you checked using a site like dishpointer.com?

You just type in your postcode, select a satellite, from the drop down box, then zoom in on the map, to your property, move the green icon, to where you'd like to site the dish, then use the obstacle checker feature to see if any obstacles, houses, trees, etc.. are in the way of your signal.
    yes I've used dishpointer. The problem is, I have a tall conifer hedge to the east when its on the ground. Plus I have lots of windows, doors and soil pipes, so not much wall space.

These dishes take up some space too, with a stand off bracket the motor then the dish and LNB, I bet its a 6 or 7ft projection when wall mounted.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Using dishpointers obstacle checker how high would you need to have your dish, to get a clear line of sight?
    You move the green icon to where your dish is going to be mounted, and move the red icon to where the obstacle is. This should give you a reading of your clearance. You can then work out how high the obstacle is, and is likely to grow, to work out how high your dish needs to be.

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    Using dishpointers obstacle checker how high would you need to have your dish, to get a clear line of sight?
    You move the green icon to where your dish is going to be mounted, and move the red icon to where the obstacle is. This should give you a reading of your clearance. You can then work out how high the obstacle is, and is likely to grow, to work out how high your dish needs to be.
    I'm not sure how to use these distances. For example on 30w d=60 h=27 this is to the ridge of the house at the back of me. What's this telling me

V.I.P
    Thanks
    D=Distance H=Height, so if the object is 60 Metres away, which seems a lot, any object under 27 Metres isn't a problem.
    These readings, 60 metres, and 27 metres, are very high, have you moved the red icon to where the obstable is? Just grab it and move it with your mouse.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickha For This Useful Post:

jase1 (17-12-2014)

Verified Registered User
    Thanks
    D=Distance H=Height, so if the object is 60 Metres away, which seems a lot, any object under 27 Metres isn't a problem.
    These readings, 60 metres, and 27 metres, are very high, have you moved the red icon to where the obstable is? Just grab it and move it with your mouse.
    Opps, wrong house. 30w is d=39m h=17mtrs. The red pointers on the house @ the back of me.