Thread: DVI?HDMI problem

Thanks

DVI?HDMI problem

Hi guys n gals
    Just received a new VU+Duo2 from Lee @ Goldwafers (thanks Lee great service) latest latest black hole image installed oscam configured & working, works ok on scart but DVI to HDMI won't clear picture AV settings all read ok box works ok on tv in other room and my old vu box works ok using dvi to hdmi I've tried all I can think of but no joy, new to using black hole by the way! any help appreciated hope this post makes sense.

regards painter

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    cant say it makes any sense to me actually, sorry to say

looked at a pic of the rear of a duo 2 and see no DVI socket (unlike my old dreambox dm800)

all I can see are HDMI , scart , composite phono and composite component

I would imagine that you plug scart to scart on a standard tv (or yellow-red.white for composite)

red/green/blue and white/red for component (Y Pb PR)

and hdmi to hdmi on a standard , modern flatscreen HDTV tv

DVI tends to be used on hi-def pc graphics cards although as I said they did use them on the dm800 HD

cant understand why you are NOT using hdmi to hdmi like on my older duo (or component which I also use on my duo)

so as there is no DVI socket then this statement cannot be true

DVI to HDMI
    in my opinion NO vu has a DVI output socket so DVI to HDMI has never been an option like on the older dm800
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (14-11-2014)

Thanks
    Knew I should have made it clearer echelon my tv is an old Hitachi plasma with only a DVI slot (no HDMI) so I use a DVI to HDMI cable and get audio through my amp, this woks well on my VU+Duo but not on the duo2 when I turn that RGB slot on tv goes into standby, thought there must be something I'm missing hence my post!

regards painter
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    cant say it makes any sense to me actually, sorry to say

looked at a pic of the rear of a duo 2 and see no DVI socket (unlike my old dreambox dm800)

all I can see are HDMI , scart , composite phono and composite component

I would imagine that you plug scart to scart on a standard tv (or yellow-red.white for composite)

red/green/blue and white/red for component (Y Pb PR)

and hdmi to hdmi on a standard , modern flatscreen HDTV tv

DVI tends to be used on hi-def pc graphics cards although as I said they did use them on the dm800 HD

cant understand why you are NOT using hdmi to hdmi like on my older duo (or component which I also use on my duo)

so as there is no DVI socket then this statement cannot be true

in my opinion NO vu has a DVI output socket so DVI to HDMI has never been an option like on the older dm800

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I think you are actually saying you use a HDMI to DVI cable , not the other way round (clarity would help here and the direction of video and audio flow is important here)

so we must assume you are using the HDMI output of the duo2 and connecting to the DVI input on this older type tv , therefore it is a HDMI to DVI cable , not a DVI to HDMI cable like is on my older dm800

now when you set up BH on the vu (I have done a duo and a solo2 in the past week) you go through a setup wizard that asks you to confirm or deny getting a picture etc , I assume that you havent done this due to saying that it came pre-configured ?

for further clarity, I think you are also saying this HDMI to DVI works ok using the old vu box too ?

in that case here is my opinion

when the BH was setup its likely that the person doing it set it up using HDMI on a modern HDTV and as such its probably set at the maximum resolution which is 1080p (if not then 1080i)

now my assumption here is that your OLD tv cannot handle this high resolution hence no picture , in which case connect by scart or phono and drop the res down to say 720p for the time being and try that using the HDMI to DVI lead

also check the res on the older vu and see if that was or is set to 720p (like it would be for component or Y PB Pr) as I would have thought any HD ready tv including your old one would have that resolution ? I know my youngest has one of the early 46 inch sony HDTV,s from about 2006 and that has 720P max on its HDMI input

so my take on it is that the person setting it up for the first time used a modern HD tv with HDMI inputs and maybe a max res of 1080p and you havent dropped it down to the max res of your old tv (check the manual)

I used to get this all the time on a pc that had been set to too high a res for the vga pc monitor or vga tv being used and the solution was to go down to 800 x 600 and then up it to maybe 1024 x 768 but no higher , sometimes this mean altering it to default in safe mode

I suspect the tv goes into standby due to a lack of signal input (ie:- a signal it can recognise) so drops to standby same as a pc monitor would do when it has no signal OR the resolution is set too high

so if we assume that you did not set this up from scratch, then that is why things are failing , as the wizard takes you through video , networking and perhaps other options too , so copying the settings on your other box would be the ideal starter for ten

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

manic01 (15-11-2014), Mickha (14-11-2014), sonic1 (16-11-2014)

Thanks
    Thanks for your input echelon the A/V settings are the same on both boxes, I thought the same as you so I reinstalled image again but wizard did not ask me configure video input for some reason, will try another reinstall over the weekend and see how it goes.

regards painter

8. The Following User Says Thank You to painter For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-11-2014)

Verified Registered User Jimdefruit's Avatar
    Thanks
    No need to re-install the image. Go into setup and change the av settings. Each time you change the resolution, it will ask if the picture is ok so if it is not, change the resolution until you get a picture. Also, one of the settings is for scart or hdmi and that will need to be correct.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jimdefruit For This Useful Post:

echelon (15-11-2014), manic01 (15-11-2014), sonic1 (15-11-2014)

Thanks
    Jim mate I have checked all that till I'm dizzy come to the conclusion my tv is due for an upgrade simplest way I think. thanks to echelon & yourself for trying to help.
    One thing extra Think the audio slots may have gone I have an amp connected to get my sound but no sound on the Duo2 connect with my old duo+ and all ok so will give Lee a bell Monday 7 see what he says.

regards painter

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdefruit View Post
    No need to re-install the image. Go into setup and change the av settings. Each time you change the resolution, it will ask if the picture is ok so if it is not, change the resolution until you get a picture. Also, one of the settings is for scart or hdmi and that will need to be correct.
    Last edited by painter; 15-11-2014 at 03:55 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to painter For This Useful Post:

echelon (15-11-2014)