Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WiFi help required

Verified Registered User rednoddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    echelon. Thank you. I will definitely discuss this with the site owner. What I can't get my head round is why the receiver allows access to keyboard at home but not on the boat!

Vu+UNO [ViX-3.0-558-Build CCcam MGcamd][with keys][SpiderBox HD & SD]
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rednoddy View Post
    COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!
    Yep when you entered the password it's paired with your pc mac address.

Banned
    Thanks
    COMPASS. Yes, you are partly right! When we, me and the boat owner first arrived, we were able to access for 30 minutes free. However, when we decided to stay, we where given a card with the password which is valid until 31 Mar 14. This enables me to connect my laptop every time I visit the site. Unfortunately it hasn't helped with the Spiderbox! God knows where we go from here!
    I think you just answered it yourself? You can get free WiFi which will allows you to gain access to the web login and the spiderbox does not give you that option because The WiFi is normally connecting straight to internet and this is why Password is needed to login to The WiFi?

Thanks
    echelon. Thank you. I will definitely discuss this with the site owner. What I can't get my head round is why the receiver allows access to keyboard at home but not on the boat!
    because (as I have said before several times) the site access is clearly NOT THE SAME as your netgear access

my netgear is set for WPA-PSK so when somebody comes here or I login the first time , the device checks the wifi access and asks for the password , I give them or enter my wifi access password and that device remembers it and is paired by the mac code of the device (as mentioned by compass)

now when you go to the boatyard, its clear something different happened like compass inferred, so the spiderbox looks at the access type, throws a wobbly as unrecognised access and does not proceed to the next stage

hence my constant reminders that you have not indicated what the boatyard access actually is (not your home one either) and clearly they are not the same, hence my earloier reply as to why it cannot be done at your house

ie:- the spiderbox mac code and authorised password needs registering on the router login , this cannot be done as the wouter wifi encryption is unknown to the spiderbox (like compass pointed out)

Thanks
    Ech there's no encryption to connect to the wifi
    when you open your browser your merely redirected to a 3 party site where you can buy internet airtime

I have actually done the above on a Haven caravan park,
    The spiderbox doesn't have a web browser so isn't compatible

I used a VU+ UNO with opera web browser installed
    i went to havens home page and entered a voucher code i bought from havens shop
    it worked well.

It may be an option for you to share your internet connection from your laptop to your spiderbox
    Last edited by ^^COMPASS^^; 01-12-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hianta View Post
    I think you just answered it yourself? You can get free WiFi which will allows you to gain access to the web login and the spiderbox does not give you that option because The WiFi is normally connecting straight to internet and this is why Password is needed to login to The WiFi?
    not quite, you can still log on to a router even if the broadband is down

wifi connections allow mobile devices access to the router using a type of encryption , a channel number , a mac code login and a password or pin , depending on the router used and its admin settings

access to the internet is allowed or denied within the router using its DMZ and also any other factors determined by the router admin as to who can do what and why and how

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ^^COMPASS^^ View Post
    Ech there's no encryption to connect to the wifi
    when you open your browser your merely redirected to a 3 party site where you can buy internet airtime
    thanks , in that case its basically something to do with what I have been repeating all along , that the spiderbox does not recognise the wifi encryption and so rejects it and fails to go to the password stage

nowhere in this saga has the OP told us what he uses at home, nor what is used at the boat site

Thanks
    echelon. When I use the laptop there is a network icon on the taskbar which lets me know what networks are available. I just click it and select the one I want. If available it asks for a password, which if correct allows access. As previously stated my Netgear router is programmed with WPA2 encryption. Unfortunately, when at the boat I cannot gain access to the security menu when trying to log on, it only has Auto of Manual?

Thanks
    echelon. When I use the laptop there is a network icon on the taskbar which lets me know what networks are available. I just click it and select the one I want. If available it asks for a password, which if correct allows access. As previously stated my Netgear router is programmed with WPA2 encryption. Unfortunately, when at the boat I cannot gain access to the security menu when trying to log on, it only has Auto of Manual?
    true, but your laptop has wifi drivers that can identify the type of encryption used and so allow you to just put in the password (it does the work not you)

clearly the spiderbox see it , says WTF and doesnt go any further , so clearly it works with WPA2 at your house so it cannot be WPA2 at the boatyard or you would get the same thing

we also know spiderboxes work with wep and wpa-psk so it cannot be those either IMHO

the point is that its a router login problem via wifi , at the boatyard, caused by something you have not identified , which you are expecting us to know , or you expect the spiderbox developers to know and have installed suitable drivers for it

Thanks
    Thank you all for bearing with me. Never thought it was going to get so technical It's getting a bit beyond me so I will wait till I have spoken to the site owner to see if he can provide some answers before I come back to you.
    Last edited by rednoddy; 01-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Thanks
    Because it has referred ,i have my router using WPA2-PSK and Spiderbox has no problem to connect with it .
    I had also test other protocols without any problem .
    As i read all latest posts ,and if owner cannot give you a solution, there is a possibility to connect with your spiderbox from your PC .
    You 'll have to use an ethernet cable (utp) from your PC to Spiderbox .
    Go to your PC : START - SETTINGS - NETWORK CONNECTIONS
    You have the wireless network conection & local area connection network .
    Press ctrl from your PC's keyboard to select both connections and make them bridge connections.
    In Spiderbox menu you must select wired network .
    Last edited by blackdevil; 01-12-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    hianta. The only way I know its not connecting is that Cccam and IKS channels do not open. There are other boat owners who also have sat dishes and they are using WiFi bridges because they also appear with the site connection when I connect to wireless!
    Looks like you need to find out what boxes and what WiFi bridges they use?

Thanks
    blackdevil. That is interesting, I did not know that was possible. Will need to get laptop for boat owner if I cannot resolve the problem

Thanks
    You could ask the boat yard if they could get your Spiderbox Wifi Mac address registered with the hosting company that provide the Internet service.
    If there willing to do this i would only pay for a short test period & see how it goes.

The WiFi mac address differs to the one found in Network settings

It can be found in your home router,
    make sure you are connected to your router using wireless setup

Using your Spiderbox 6000HD Remote
    menu>
    Multimedia>
    Network Settings>
    Make a note of your IP: EG: 192.168.0.10
    Using your pc
    In your web browser enter
    192.160.0.1 press enter
    you should be prompted for username & password
    this should be located on your router
    EG:
    login: admin
    pass: password
    next press the login tab

On my router i navigate to LAN then Ethernet,
    which displays both my wired & wireless devices
    look for your Spiderbox 6000HD IP address (which you made a note of earlier)
    write down Spiderbox Wifi Mac address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Thanks
    If everything else fails (I hope not) then perhaps a 3g dongle could offer some solution? How expensive would it be to run a spider from a simcard? As far as I know they are charged with data rather than time, and I dont think that spider uses all that much data to stay connected? If you go easy on the IPTV then it will last very long on each top-up.
    But that would only make sense if all else fails, or the hot spots owner asks for more money

Thanks
    m8,wot,s the use in using a dongle?..if u plug it into the usb port how r u going to use the recording side of the system?...unless u you u use your laptop our your main computer to make the conect
    tion.. u might as well [if it work's use a mifi..and a three month chip]...my opinion..Could be wrong but then again hey ho..lol... /?

Thanks
    terry l. Thanks. Point taken. Decided to take a couple of days off, it's getting me down.

Verified Registered User january_king's Avatar
    Thanks
    Possible alternative?
    I was having problems with the wi-fi connection to the Spiderbox dropping frequently despite adequate signal strength. Security is WPA2-PSK [AES]. In an attempt to fix this quickly I used an Apple Airport Express to provide access via the LAN socket instead. Bingo (or similar!) it worked 100% last night with no drop outs. If there is anything in this it should also work with any other item that provides a LAN connection from a wifi signal. I had a cheapo one for my 9000HD which I will try today - its downside is that it is powered by the USB socket. Either way it does not involve tying up a laptop.
    I suspect that problems people are having are related in some way to the wifi security protocol used and maybe even its exact implementation by different routers.
    Last edited by january_king; 03-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by january_king View Post
    I suspect that problems people are having are related in some way to the wifi security protocol used and maybe even its exact implementation by different routers.
    I have been saying this all along , its a wifi security issue that the spiderbox cannot resolve which stops it in its tracks preventing the password screen coming up

one option I was thinking about was to try to use another router locally, one that can pick up the wifi signal and login using its own admin panel, this would then provide a different ip address and login password and encryption like wpa-psk or wpa2 that the spiderbox logs into and the admin panel of this secondary router would control local access and not the main one (or such that you use the lan output in a similar fashion to this apple adapter mentioned in the last post)

effectively the same as using a laptop to do it in the "bridge" method described earlier

I would think that you can by wireless extenders to do this , the part I wasnt sure of is if you can get an extender that is more like a router in that it provides more local login and ip address options. possibly using an old cheap router to achieve this ?

Verified Registered User january_king's Avatar
    Thanks
    The item I referred to above is a Vonets VAP11G WIFI Bridge which certainly did its stuff in providing a LAN connection to my (now HDMI-knackered) HD9000. About £12 online. In a sense it is doing the interface work that is done by the Spiderbox in wifi mode. I guess I could run it off a USB power supply (phone type) instead of the single USB socket on the 6000.

[LATER EDIT] I have tried the above and on a brief test it seems to work as well as the Airport. Using the LAN port rather than built-in wifi looks like a solution.
    Last edited by january_king; 03-12-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast