Thread: If i get the duo2 can I use it with a motorised dish and a static dish

Cool Dude
    Thanks

If i get the duo2 can I use it with a motorised dish and a static dish

Ok, I want to get a new receiver and as mine last forever I want to get a good one so looking at the duo2 but as with everything new a lot of stuff becomes more complex. I can read a certain amount but as yet not found anything on my queries which are as follows.

1. I have a static dish at 28east and a motorised dish. So with the twin sat tuner on the duo can I have one lnb dedicated to the fixed dish at 28 and use the other lnb on the motorised dish BUT I want to continue to use my spider 9000 to drive dish. I have a quad lnb on both dishes so can use a direct feed. eg I want espn on 28 east and al jazerra on 13east. can I record both at same time? 2. Also if I advance to cccam/oscam will the use of a twin tuner cause me grief with externals?

2. with the internal dtt tuner can I watch one channel and record another dtt channel? can I record dtt AND watch a sat channel? And can I watch a dtt channel and record a sat one as well and record a dtt channel at same time? The chances of these situations arising may be rare but at the moment with current set up I can do all that, its a bit tedious mind.

3. I keep seeing mention of usb tuners for dtt but why would anyone want a usb tuner if box can have a twin tuner etc?

4. And can I use the duo2 as an iptv box or must I buy a dedicated iptv box?

5. why so many images?? which is the best one and why? And does it mean one image will do something better than the other and so on?

6 Finally does the faster processor have any effect on the dreaded glitching?

Box sounds awesome but dont want to get myself in a twist and find out too late that I misunderstood the basics.

gbmitie

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmitie View Post
    Ok, I want to get a new receiver and as mine last forever I want to get a good one so looking at the duo2 but as with everything new a lot of stuff becomes more complex. I can read a certain amount but as yet not found anything on my queries which are as follows.

1. I have a static dish at 28east and a motorised dish. So with the twin sat tuner on the duo can I have one lnb dedicated to the fixed dish at 28 and use the other lnb on the motorised dish BUT I want to continue to use my spider 9000 to drive dish. I have a quad lnb on both dishes so can use a direct feed. eg I want espn on 28 east and al jazerra on 13east. can I record both at same time? 2. Also if I advance to cccam/oscam will the use of a twin tuner cause me grief with externals?

2. with the internal dtt tuner can I watch one channel and record another dtt channel? can I record dtt AND watch a sat channel? And can I watch a dtt channel and record a sat one as well and record a dtt channel at same time? The chances of these situations arising may be rare but at the moment with current set up I can do all that, its a bit tedious mind.

3. I keep seeing mention of usb tuners for dtt but why would anyone want a usb tuner if box can have a twin tuner etc?

4. And can I use the duo2 as an iptv box or must I buy a dedicated iptv box?

5. why so many images?? which is the best one and why? And does it mean one image will do something better than the other and so on?

6 Finally does the faster processor have any effect on the dreaded glitching?

Box sounds awesome but dont want to get myself in a twist and find out too late that I misunderstood the basics.

gbmitie
    1) I do this with my duo so I cannot see the duo 2 being any different , as for oscam and cccam, yes it may do, contact your supplier for clarification

2) they do not come with any type of DTT tuner preinstalled

3) maybe because they require a HD DTT tuner, and not an SD DTT tuner

4) any linux box can be used for iptv, like icefilms, 1channel , ondemand, youtube etc , especially the vu boxes. xbmc is another possibility too

5) various groups seem to write for these boxes, so its down to popularity, and how they all think the images should look and feel and what facilities they want in them. its better to have several groups doing this than none at all, or just the one. you could try them all until you find one you are happy with, or go with the majority who may plump for one particular team image

6) there should be no glitching on any of the boxes in the range, so I would say no, the processor has no effect on this

it is probably better for streaming, especially HD streaming, or multi tasking , and booting up etc

ps:- I thought al jazz had disappeared from 13e ? (or seriously cut back on channels, its definitely not like it was)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

gbmitie (14-08-2013), izzy (09-12-2013), ManikM (14-08-2013), sonic1 (14-08-2013)

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    thank you, getting somewhere, that bit about SD DTT is extremely useful, the bit about IPTV was for the footie as I read somewhere one can subscribe to al jazz and get games streamed, will that work on the duo2?

and which USB HD dtt tuner works? I would like to get all I need from the outset.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gbmitie View Post
    thank you, getting somewhere, that bit about SD DTT is extremely useful, the bit about IPTV was for the footie as I read somewhere one can subscribe to al jazz and get games streamed, will that work on the duo2?

and which USB HD dtt tuner works? I would like to get all I need from the outset.
    no idea but I have seen posts where owners want to use the streamed al jaz, but not seen anybody saying they have actually managed it

so I will say no, not possible, until somebody says different

no idea about the usb DTT tuners either, but clearly you need one that has the drivers built into your chosen image for it
    your original post seemed to assume there was a DTT tuner module in it, but if you read the article in the sticky threads its clear its an addon but doesnt mention much about it so clearly he didnt have any addon modules or usb sticks, he did say the HD DTT module was being planned for future release

I think the point here is that eventually you will get some of these extra features, but as its brand new to the market you should not be expecting to get them all right now, as these things take time and its taken long enough for the actual box to be on retailers shelves

anyone buying this box is likely to be happy with what it can do right now, and what it may be capable of as things develop. if I was in the market for a new box its one I would seriously consider buying myself. but as its so new to the market a lot of what you ask cannot be answered yet

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

gbmitie (14-08-2013), simon123 (14-09-2013)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    1) I do this with my duo so I cannot see the duo 2 being any different , as for oscam and cccam, yes it may do, contact your supplier for clarification

2) they do not come with any type of DTT tuner preinstalled

3) maybe because they require a HD DTT tuner, and not an SD DTT tuner

4) any linux box can be used for iptv, like icefilms, 1channel , ondemand, youtube etc , especially the vu boxes. xbmc is another possibility too

5) various groups seem to write for these boxes, so its down to popularity, and how they all think the images should look and feel and what facilities they want in them. its better to have several groups doing this than none at all, or just the one. you could try them all until you find one you are happy with, or go with the majority who may plump for one particular team image

6) there should be no glitching on any of the boxes in the range, so I would say no, the processor has no effect on this

it is probably better for streaming, especially HD streaming, or multi tasking , and booting up etc

ps:- I thought al jazz had disappeared from 13e ? (or seriously cut back on channels, its definitely not like it was)
    Well explained, thank you. Thinking of getting one for Christmas.£419 fairly good price from goldwafers. Looks like i'm gonna be busy as that will be mine first linux box.
    got a question as well. is there any plugin or something which will translate spanish, french, or any other language subtitles to english using google translate or something else.
    cheers

Thanks
    Subtitles as part of the broadcasted data stream can not be translated or manipulated.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anrakh For This Useful Post:

echelon (09-12-2013)