Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra HD (4K) channel

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,522 Times in 470 Posts

Icon3 Ultra HD (4K) channel

Eutelsat launches Europe’s first dedicated Ultra HD (4K) channel

Further proof that the Ultra HD (4K) movement is gathering pace comes with the news that Eutelsat has just launched a dedicated demonstration Ultra HD channel for Europe on the EUTELSAT 10A satellite. The first transmissions of content filmed in 4K have already begun.

The new channel will delivering a native resolution of 3840x2160 pixels at 50 frames per second, in progressive mode. It will be encoded in MPEG-4 and transmitted at 40 Mbit/s in four Quad HD streams. Eutelsat is partnering with ATEME, a video compression solution provider to the broadcast industry, for the transmissions that will be uplinked to the EUTELSAT 10A satellite from its teleport in Rambouillet, near Paris.

“This new step towards 4K continues Eutelsat’s longstanding commitment to achieving new broadcast milestones that over the last 20 years have included digital TV, HDTV and 3D,” said Jean-François Leprince-Ringuet, Eutelsat’s Commercial Director. “Early and close collaboration between all players in the broadcast chain will be a key success factor for this new revolution. This is the first Ultra HD platform for Europe.”

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Ah, so now we all have 1080 and not much filmed and broadcast in, we are now expected to buy 4k equipment.Price tag at the moment $24,999.99 or £15,700. Although i do understand that the prices do drop rather rapidly. I guess this is because we have all failed to embrace 3d and realised it was a gimmick that gave most of us headaches. Guess companies have to make their money.

On topic, I scanned the frequency and it gave me a few channels mainly shots of cars. I saw some of the new TV's on Click. OLED looks like the way forward and ultra thin. I won't be happy till I have a holodeck.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadstamut View Post
    Ah, so now we all have 1080 and not much filmed and broadcast in, we are now expected to buy 4k equipment.Price tag at the moment $24,999.99 or £15,700. Although i do understand that the prices do drop rather rapidly. I guess this is because we have all failed to embrace 3d and realised it was a gimmick that gave most of us headaches. Guess companies have to make their money.

On topic, I scanned the frequency and it gave me a few channels mainly shots of cars. I saw some of the new TV's on Click. OLED looks like the way forward and ultra thin. I won't be happy till I have a holodeck.
    Hear hear mate - and does the transmission jerk on your receiver, or do all four 'channels' all work perfectly for you?

V.I.P
    Thanks
    They jump from HD looking to distorted. Only one channel has audio.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 845 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmroad View Post
    Hear hear mate - and does the transmission jerk on your receiver, or do all four 'channels' all work perfectly for you?
    might be because they are 50p instead of the usual 50i. Personally i dont rate the picture quality either needs more bitrate

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gadstamut View Post
    Although i do understand that the prices do drop rather rapidly. I guess this is because we have all failed to embrace 3d and realised it was a gimmick that gave most of us headaches. Guess companies have to make their money.
    A few years back I decided that I would like a bigger TV than my 32 inch Samsung HD CRT Slimfit TV. Unfortunately as SED and OLED were still a long way off and plasma and lcd TVs didnt give as good a picture as my current TV I was in a bit of a dilema.
    I decided to have a read about projectors then went for a demonstration. I ended up with an Optoma HD600X DLP projector for just under £400 direct from Optoma on their **** site, as a fully tested and guaranteed factory return with about 25 hours use, bulb life is between 2 and 3,000 hours. Most places were selling brand new ones for around £500 back then. I bought a manually retractable screen for about £60 from a closing down sale which gives me an 85 inch diagonal screen in 16:9 format. Another £30 for a blackout roller blind for my window and a few quid for a ceiling mount for the projector and brackets for the screen plus a few long cables probably came to around £525 in total.

So I had the best of both worlds, possibly one of the best HD TVs you could have for watching normal day to day TV, although its only 32 inches as it was CRT, then for sport, I love F1 and MotoGP, and films I switch the projector on and am amazed by how good the picture is for that price and at that size even though its only 720p/1080i. I may have noticed it only being 720p if I had it on a 120 inch diagonal screen but my rooms not big enough for that so at 85 inches its great. At that time what everyone said was the best 42 inch plasma was over £2,000 and the picture still wouldnt be a patch on mine

Then 15 months or so later Optoma brought out their magic box, the 3D XL, which allowed my pprojector and a few others to do 3D using active shutter glasses, OK it wasnt cheap, just under £150 at the time with 2 pairs of glasses, should have been one pair I thought but the shop gave me an extra pair, at around £60 per pair I didnt complain
    So now its added another dimension literally, no pun intened, to my big screen viewing, I hope they start doing F1 in 3D soon.
    Its amazing, when I set it up I switched on the sky 3D channel and it was showing an international football match that England was playing. I hate football and normally would never watch it but I was mesmerised by it and spent at least 10 minutes watching it.
    Do***entaries whether real or CGI ones such as the Attenborough dinosaur ones, films and animations are excellent and so far none of my friends who have reasonable vision in both eyes have failed to be impressed.

So if you dont have a problem with your eyes, providing you are watching the right equipment and content then 3D is brilliant. Ignore the usual places that sell TVs if you want to see what 3D looks like and have a demo in a place that sells projectors or see it at a friends, anyone wanting to see mine is welcome, drop me a pm if you are within travelling distance, I live very close to junction 12 on the M65.

Thanks
    Japan has now come out, telling the world they'll be launching 4K TV broadcasts in July 2014, a full two years ahead of schedule. The 4K transmissions will first begin using communication satellite channels before they move onto broadcast satellites, with digital broadcasting arriving later down the line.

This means we should expect the 4K broadcast to begin before the the final match of the 2014 World Cup in Brazil begins, which will have soccer fans in Japan getting excited. Better yet, thanks to 4K broadcasts being two years ahead of schedule, this means we'll see 8K broadcasts starting in 2016 - 8K! 2016!

Source: tweaktown

Thanks
    The UltraHD industry is in need of market champions to develop the ecosystem as uncertain market acceptance and revenue potential has led to a lingering hesitation in investments to promote the platform, said a new analyst report from NSR (Northern Sky Research in Cambridge, MA).

It’s expected that the most likely regions of the world where Ultra HD will be most successful are North America, Western Europe and East Asia — where the wealthiest households, in terms of disposable income levels and pay-TV households are congregated, according to Jose Del Rosario, a communications analyst for NSR.

On the heels of Eutelsat’s initiative late last year in deploying the first 4K TV channel for experimental and demonstration purposes, Reuters reported in January 2013, that the Japanese government is set to launch the world’s first 4K TV broadcast in July 2014, roughly two years ahead of schedule, to help stir demand for UltraHD TV sets.

The service will begin from communications satellites, followed by satellite broadcasting and ground digital broadcasting. Japan is likewise looking to develop super high-definition 8K TVs where the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications plans to launch the test 8K TV broadcast in 2016.

Del Rosario noted that the Japanese initiatives are government-led, aimed at boosting the country’s consumer electronics sector, which accounts for a relatively large share of the country’s GNP. Second and more importantly, he wrote, the initiatives being government-backed may not necessarily address or be in sync with pure market dynamics such that their impact may or may not work in boosting the UltraHD proposition.

Key questions, he said, are will the government initiatives lead to the envisioned faster or earlier development of the market cycle as well as improve UltraHD take-up rates? Or will the take-up rates remain the same even without the government initiatives, thus following a “normal or natural” market cycle?

In NSR’s view, he said the government initiatives on the supply side would have some positive effect on the ecosystem. Developments in next-generation compression standards, which in NSR’s view is one of the most important to truly jumpstart the market, should proceed at a faster rate.

However, the level of impact will likely be relatively minimal as the market economics or “free market” economics affecting the demand side cannot be changed dramatically by these initiatives. Unless the government directly provides incentives such as direct subsidies towards the purchase of UltraHD TV sets that lowers the price of UltraHD TVs (which incidentally could lead to “anti-dumping” measures when applied to the export sector) the above mentioned supply-side measures would have little overall impact on demand.

As such, UltraHD will remain a niche proposition accounting for a relatively small share of the globe’s total channel count, which should continue to be dominated by SD and HD channels. UltraHD due to expected high costs associated with bandwidth requirements, as well as outlays from customers in the form of highly expensive UltraHD TV sets and added service costs for content bouquets, are longstanding issues that should continue to restrain investments in UltraHD from content providers, as well as service providers in the cable TV, DTH and IPTV camps.

Source: Broadcast Engineering
    Attached Images Attached Images

V.I.P
    Thanks
    At the back end of the 90's i used to spend a small fortune on PC parts mainly motherboards and chips, every 4 months or so the Mhz would either double or increase significantly. At the start of the year you would have 350mhz chip and by xmas it would be 750-800. The price drop for less than a year old technology was scandalous.

I can seen the same thing happening with TV technology 4k,8k,16k,32k,64k....... I am of the opinion "it will only be replaced when this one breaks". It will be a long time before I upgrade again. Good info's though, looking at the size of some of the screens I would also need a bigger house for it to live in.

Thanks
    The French government-backed research and development project 4EVER is continuing its experiment into Ultra-HD with fresh 4K trials at the French Tennis Open at Roland Garros beginning May 17.

4EVER, whose partners include a number of French companies (Orange Labs, France Televisions, Technicolor, ATEME, TeamCast, Doremi, GlobeCast, and Institut Telecom ParisTech), is concentrating on 4K workflows and distribution.

In 2012 the project shot 4K footage at Roland Garros, sequences of which are included in the two-hour loop of programming beamed from Europe's inaugural Ultra-HD satellite channel operated by Eutelsat.

This year the tournament will be used as a platform to test the 4K delivery chain and to test HEVC codecs for delivery of HD over bandwidth-constrained over-the-top networks, according to ATEME.

The insight would be used by, among others, Orange, which is soon to launch a VoD service using HEVC to deliver 1080pHD content OTT – a world's first.

The Orange project was conceived with Samsung, which will uniquely supply client Smart-TV's compliant with HEVC.

“Thanks to HEVC, Orange will deliver HD content at bit rates around 3Mbps, whereas H.264 would require twice the bit rate,” Gilles Teniou, head of video standardisation, Orange Labs said at CES.

Source: TVBEurope

Thanks
    Is there a picture of these channels?

19.2°E Astra 1L 11406.00 V 14 Astra 1L DVB-S2 8PSK 22000 2/3 ASTRA 1, 42.6 Mbps NID:1 TID:1014
    Astra Ultra HD Test Luxembourg Presentations SES Clear 10200 255 H.265 256 eng
    UHD TV SES Clear 10201 255 H.265 256 eng
    UHD Demo Channel P1 SES Clear 10202 255 H.265 256 eng
    My LG ULTRA HD TV gives only audio.
    Or what other device should it be, to view them?

Thanks
    Which device are you using to attempt to 'view' these UHD transmissions through your LG UHD tv mate?

Thanks
    There is a Picture with those channels unfortunately having just a 4K UHD TV is not enough you would need a dedicated 4K UHD satellite receiver which none are currently available.

Thanks
    Interesting!
    Why UHDTV channel is transmitted when there are no devices to receive it?
    Why LG ULTRA HD TV has built-in tuners, which are not capable Ultra HD (4k) channels to receive?

Thanks
    All of the 4K UHD LED TV's i have seen so far are display devices only in other words you need a 3rd party piece of equipment such as a 4K satellite receiver to display a UHD image on screen

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Netflix has a about 5 movies and a couple of tv series in 4k works great on ue65hu7500.

Prices on these tvs have dropped to about the same as a high spec hd tv.

Thanks
    Yes fair enough mate - but exactly which 'usual' providers, e.g. Sky, BT, satellite channels can or even DO currently provide 'regular channel' UHD transmissions to these new UHD tvs?

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    1080 is looking ropey on HD footy channels these days, smearing and high contrast ringing is back again.

SD is unwatchable on some providers, bring back full speck analogue !

Thanks
    But are any providers (e.g. Sky) even transmitting in 1080 mate - allegedly in 1080i but STILL not 1080P?
    Not impressed - the only 'apparent' genuine 1080P appears to be on 'other' sat tv, if indeed THAT is too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast