Thread: Unable to Partition USB Stick for E2

Thanks

Unable to Partition USB Stick for E2

Just thought I'd dust down my Icecrypt S4000 and upgrade the firmware.
    Stopped using E2 about a year ago and been using it with just the stock firmware installed.
    Anyway, today I upgraded the bootloader to 1.54 using the HDF Flasher plug in and the stock f/w to 1.10.32.
    That all went OK.

I then thought I'd have a play and see what the E2 firmware was like now so I changed the bootloader to the Maxi-Flasher T11 BA09A posted by FatBoy.
    Booted OK into the stock F/W so I then set about partitioning a USB stick to put the E2 image on and thats when I ran into a problem.
    Using Maxiboot Installer 1.5, the USB stick appears OK as dev/sdb, I right click to partition and it seems to go through the process of creating and formatting the partitions although the partitioning is faster than I would have expected. But then no partitions appear in the Partition box. In the back of my mind I'm sure I've seen this before but can't remember what the solution was. I've tried 5 different USB sticks and they all do the same.

Any help would be appreciated. Ideally I want to remove the HDD from the Icecrypt box and run one or more E2 images from a USB stick in the rear of the box.

Thanks
    Hi,

Try the USB stick in the front of the S4000 when using Maxiboot, also try EaseUS Partition Master, its a free windows based disk tool, and is great at formatting anything to anything (ext 2 or 3 for example).

I have had issues with well used usb sticks, as they have been formatted loads of times and do carry issues, I've formatted through EaseUS and worked great afterwards.

I've had a lot of sucess with picking the right USB stick, I ran all my sticks through another free program called CrystalDiskMark, to benchmark how fast they really are and picked a fast one with close read and write speeds.

When using Maxiboot, once you have right clicked on the usb stick and partitioned it (normally with a MINI and SWAP), and it completes, its good practice to restart the box at that point, when rebooted, try right clicking to mount the stick then right click again to install the image.

Hope this helps, as I have to admit the new HDMU images (1003), are very stable and much better than E2 was 6 months ago.

Good Luck.