Thread: 2 spiderboxes - help needed?

Thanks

2 spiderboxes - help needed?

Hi

Not very computer ;iterate so bare with me.

Got 2 spiderbox 9000 running from same internet connection.

Have vmedia 50meg bb with netgear 4 way router.

Both spiderboxes are hardwired to same router - works ok most of the time but when footys on pics freeze and stutter all over the place.

This is using both the spiderboxes own ethernet channels and also a sea lion (2 seperate ones in each box - i am NOT trying to use the same sealion in 2 boxes)

Is the fact that I am coming from the same router causing conflict between the 2 spiderboxes.

I read somebody somewhere saying don't leave ip addresses to auto and to give them 2 manual addresses - I have no clue what this means.

Can I get an 8 way switch in between the router and the spiderboxes - would this work? If so can anybody recommend one?

I am on latest patch Nov 2nd/Latest BillyBits channel list 11/11 and latest hd softcam.

Can anybody advise me please?

Dave

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteswan View Post
    Hi

Not very computer ;iterate so bare with me.

Got 2 spiderbox 9000 running from same internet connection.

Have vmedia 50meg bb with netgear 4 way router.

Both spiderboxes are hardwired to same router - works ok most of the time but when footys on pics freeze and stutter all over the place.

This is using both the spiderboxes own ethernet channels and also a sea lion (2 seperate ones in each box - i am NOT trying to use the same sealion in 2 boxes)

Is the fact that I am coming from the same router causing conflict between the 2 spiderboxes.

I read somebody somewhere saying don't leave ip addresses to auto and to give them 2 manual addresses - I have no clue what this means.

Can I get an 8 way switch in between the router and the spiderboxes - would this work? If so can anybody recommend one?

I am on latest patch Nov 2nd/Latest BillyBits channel list 11/11 and latest hd softcam.

Can anybody advise me please?

Dave
    a lot of questions there , but basically as its a netgear router you should be choosing a manual fixed ip instead of letting the router allocate an ip

go into the network settings of spiderbox A and spiderbox B and note down the ip addresses and report back with them , and also the host address too

one may be on say 192.168.000.003 and the other on 004 with the host on 001 for instance

these will need changing when you report back

each box must have a separate lnb feed to work properly
    each box needs its own separate and unique ip address
    each box must have its own separate and unique sea lions too ( no sharing one amongst 2 )

you havent stated if you use a motor or fixed set of lnb,s , so for 2 boxes you really need 2 diseqc switches and twin or quad lnbs,, you never said what you had

if its fixed dishes and lnb,s you need an 8 way if using 5 to 8 lnb,s , and a 4 way for up to 4 lnb,s

you need 2 switches , 1 for each box (unless you have daisy chained the boxes , again you did not say )

as you can see , the lack of information is what is holding back definitive answers here

none of the above changes will affect any glitching , of that I can assure you , but there should not be glitching on the fta , the ucas , or the ethernet gift systems , probably only on the sea lions

the use of the same router or broadband has nothing to do with this , and it doesnt need a high speed connection to work as the traffic is minimal and probably less than your browsing , a 2 meg broadband is ample , and you only need the one router as lan feeds can be split using network switches like an 8 way lan switch , 16 way lan switch , 5 way lan switch etc

only use lan switches if you need to do so , with one feed from the router

Thanks
    Hi

Okay thankyou for trying to help me.

The 2 spiderboxes drive 2 independant 1m motorised dishes.

The sealions are totally different for each box - no shareing between boxes.

The FTA does not glitch / UCAS does not glitch.

Ethernet does glitch but not all the time.

The ip address for top box is 192.168.001.003
    The ip address for bottom box is 192.168.001.005

Where is the host?

Dave

Thanks
    the host is the Gateway address , and if you use default its also the 1st dns too

in your case it will be 192.168.001.001 judging by your answer

in which case set spiderbox A to manual and set the IP address to say 192.168.001.100

and set spiderbox B to manual and set the IP address to say 192.168.001.101

Leave the subnet mask on 255.255.255.000 on both

leave Gateway on 192.168.001.001 , and at the moment leave 1st dns on the same if that is what it is now

2nd dns can be same as 1st dns or blank

the mac address are unique and different and must be left alone

the sea lions also have to be unique and different

report back when you have done the above and make sure both are connected in the sea lions , and ethernet , and all working ok still

you have then set each box to manual ip addressing , where each box tells the router what it is using , in this case 100 and 101

on my netgear I go into my admin panel and the allowed lan settings and reserve those mac and ip addresses for exclusive use of the spiderboxes

your router manual should explain all this further , as would broadband forums on the net too

not only that , I have explained all this in my faq posts in the GUIDES AND FAQ forum here on satpimps , did you read it ? or are you saying my guides require further updating ?

Thanks
    Hi

I am sure your guides are brilliant - I think its me that needs updating.

Do I need to alter anything with the router itself? I ask because I have no manual etc with it as virgin installed it all and its worked perfectly since then.

I understand everything you have said upto the point of reserving mac and ip addys for the spiderboxes.

I am sorry if I appear slow - but I just want to get it correct.

Dave

Thanks
    Hi

I am sure your guides are brilliant - I think its me that needs updating.

Do I need to alter anything with the router itself? I ask because I have no manual etc with it as virgin installed it all and its worked perfectly since then.

I understand everything you have said upto the point of reserving mac and ip addys for the spiderboxes.

I am sorry if I appear slow - but I just want to get it correct.

Dave
    yes , I understand that , just annoys me when its in the guides I have posted and amended many times , and yet members still ask something and its clear they havent read those guides which I find is disrespectful to anybody like myself that posts the relevant information week in week out , be it me , compass , bob , powercisco , or whoever

and yes I know vm dont provide guides for their custom firmware routers , the point here being its custom firmware in the vm supplied router , not netgear firmware which members could advise you about

maybe you should check a vm broadband forum for advise on vm routers , no matter which one you have , all I know is I cannot advise you on vm routers as I havent the knowledge and its not my place to do so

I have an adsl netgear router over BT line and know where to access the sections involved , and know about the line too

think of it as like a ford mondeo diesel owner cannot advise you about a ford ka petrol car , even though they are both fords

it may not matter , but I brought it up as I have 2 spiderboxes , both are off the same netgear adsl router via a 16 way lan switch , intenet is off a BT land line and both boxesare working fine , as are my others too

this glitching or whatever could be using too many lines at once , so the box may be switching between them , it happened on c+ france channels on 19e where ucas was interfering with the ethernet , so it could happen on yours with all these lines as well as the gifts being ivolved , only one driver can drive a car even if 5 drivers are sitting inside it , and too many cooks spoil the broth , dont they ?

it may be there are contention issues on your sea lions due to too may ppl trying to watch the same channels at the same time , not a spiderbox issue and not a forum issue either

if it is channels that are opened by your lines take it up with your supplier as its not a matter for satpimps or me as we dont allow those discussions here

have you tried setting the preferred priority server on each box ?

if it were ethernet channels with all other gifts and lines switched off , or ucas channels , feel free to post , although I havent seen any issues with those channels as such

Thanks
    Sorry dont mean to be disrespectful.....

Heres an example of what I mean.

Sport tv laliga on 30 west seems fine most of the time (cleared by ethernet) but on a Saturday it constantly stutters.

Thats why I thought maybe its something to do with the server seeing 2 spiderboxes and becoming confused.

Or does it stutter for everybody?

Dave

Thanks
    Sorry dont mean to be disrespectful.....

Heres an example of what I mean.

Sport tv laliga on 30 west seems fine most of the time (cleared by ethernet) but on a Saturday it constantly stutters.

Thats why I thought maybe its something to do with the server seeing 2 spiderboxes and becoming confused.

Or does it stutter for everybody?

Dave

This Theory can not be true....if two Spiderboxes have conflicts between them ,they should have all time...The conflict can be in certainest time only ! :

The conflicts can be ?.

1. Spiderbox IP _____the Ip internal of Spiderboxes for examples are 192.168.X.5 for both ( they should be diffident for exaple 192.168.x.5 and other 192.168.X.6 )
    or
    2. MAC address same ....( should be different )

Thanks
    Darkman

I will find out shortly ? Got the both [ 9000 @ 9900 ] Cannot see a problem ? THEY ARE GOING TO BE LINKED [ I am on a run ] Think all the SAT Stuff is comming back to me ??[ Getting old ] But I WILL GET THERE:respect-050:
    Last edited by RABBY; 14-11-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    quickest and easiest test would have been to have disconnected one box at the time you was getting the stuttering , if it was still present with just the one box , could have saved all these questions personally id wait till the next game is on and try that.

Thanks
    Hi

Thankyou everybody for the responses - am away for a few days so will update on my return.

Dave