Thread: Help with dish alignment please.

Verified Registered User BeeKay's Avatar
    Thanks

Help with dish alignment please.

Hi All,

I have fitted a new 1.1m Triax dish and took extra care to fix it on the pole in the same position as the replaced dish. I turned the old dish to 0.8W and used a sat finder to make sure the new dish was pointing to the same satellite. I tightened up all the nuts/bolts, checked the signal and quality on BBC World News on my Spiderbox and it showed S 82 Q 96. I then moved the dish with the RCU to 28.2E. The picture on BBC1 was S 94 Q 84. I then moved the dish to Canal+ on 30.0W which showed S 84 Q 86.

The problem is although I can lock on to 28.2E, 19.2E, 16.0E, 13.0E, 10.0E, 7.0E, 0.8W & 30.0W and reception is good on all channels on these satellites, I am unable to lock on to 42.0E, 39.0E and other satellites that I could before I replaced the dish.

I have checked the pole that the dish is mounted on to ensure that it is vertical on all sides and a sat finder, but obviously something is not quite right and the dish is not aligned correctly.

Can anyone advise me what I need to check and/or carry out to rectify the problem please?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

BeeKay

Thanks
    Are you using usals or disec you may need to check your limits and remove them with disec

3. The Following User Says Thank You to paddingtonbear For This Useful Post:

BeeKay (18-10-2011)

Thanks
    Hi Paddingtonbear and thanks for the reply.

I am using diseqc and I think the limits are set OK as the dish goes east a fair way past 28.2E and should lock onto 42.0E (as my old dish used to)

Thanks again,

BeeKay

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeKay View Post
    Hi Paddingtonbear and thanks for the reply.

I am using diseqc and I think the limits are set OK as the dish goes east a fair way past 28.2E and should lock onto 42.0E (as my old dish used to)

Thanks again,

BeeKay
    if you are using diseqc and if the arc is being followed you could manually move the dish east or west looking for 42e and 39e , and save when found

but my thoughts are that you are slightly out on the arc , in which case you wont find them with diseqc or with usals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

Aldo (18-10-2011), BeeKay (18-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Echelon. I thought that it could be that I was slightly out on the arc. I will soldier on and try to tweak it this weekend, unless of course there is an expert in the Medway area of Kent who is willing to help a fellow member of the forum out ............

Regards,

BeeKay

Thanks
    might sound a bit drastic, but i had the same problem with my 88cm triax, so i drilled a hole in the outer rim of the dish just below the arm of the dish an inserted a self tapping screw ! tiny turn of the screw lifted the arm a nats winky an i got 39e and 42e an also improved the weak signal i had on certain transponders on 16e, quite handy those moveable triax arms ! Triax dishes are brilliant but the offset can be a bit of a pain !!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hornet For This Useful Post:

BeeKay (18-10-2011), echelon (18-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeKay View Post
    Thanks for your reply Echelon. I thought that it could be that I was slightly out on the arc. I will soldier on and try to tweak it this weekend, unless of course there is an expert in the Medway area of Kent who is willing to help a fellow member of the forum out ............

Regards,

BeeKay
    cant be far out , so mark it all up first so you can easily put it back to where it is now , then try slight tweaks of elevation on motor or dish

11. The Following User Says Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

BeeKay (18-10-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for coming back to me Hornet and to you too Echelon.

I think your method could be a winner!! I will try both suggestions at the weekend and post the result.

Thanks again Guys.

Regards,

BeeKay
    Last edited by BeeKay; 18-10-2011 at 09:47 PM.