Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re THE NEW EPG AFTER SW DOWNLOAD??

Banned
    Thanks

re THE NEW EPG AFTER SW DOWNLOAD??

TO PUT in a nut shelf i find now it a taft dissapointing....
    when u have downloaded a rytac file of your chosing to the usb stick and transfer to the receiver ONLY 1 IS possible ,, lets say 28.2!!!
    ok you can then view 6 days apx of times/channels BUT!!!!!!!! WHEN YOU TURN THE RECEIVER off!!! IT WILL NOT HOLD IT! i assume because its internet linked,, further more it takes on 28.2 a good 10 mins , wel it does on mine to d/l... spannish ,, german etc takes 2 mins!!!! but you can only have 1,
    FINALY. i notice there were 4 choices of a download for the epg,, i chose THE BE ONE tht showed on the rytac file... would it speed up things to choose one of the others. i thing 1 said world saterllitte or something like that to download.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    Whats the point of a new EPG if the programme cuts out half way through, at least tring only crashed in the 92nd minute in the footy, which I am greatfull for.

Reliability should be addressed first.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyO For This Useful Post:

tigertimtim (14-08-2011), xanadu (14-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    TONY RE CRASHING.. i dont know if u mean via the ethnet ( or what was s**vice+)
    but its really the epg i was asking about and the fact after switiching off the receiver and switching on it does not hold the 6 day listing,

Thanks
    Thanked 5,016 Times in 2,265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keith mawer View Post
    TONY RE CRASHING.. i dont know if u mean via the ethnet ( or what was service+)
    but its really the epg i was asking about and the fact after switiching off the receiver and switching on it does not hold the 6 day listing,
    The following info was posted on the other forum by Brutus, I hope that it may be of some help to you:

Installing the new firmware, how to....
    I've written an updated version of the process of installing the new EPG software, for real newbies

Process:

Save all settings on your usb stick (menu, usb, press green button, save 'Channels data only'...).
    Press exit to go back to menu
    press left or right arrow to go to Installation and scroll down to Factory reset..
    Do the Factory Reset, then
    Menu-Network-Net SW Download
    Allow the latest SW to download and do not restart until the sw is downloaded (50%) and loaded into the receiver (100%).
    [If the download stops earlier and the receiver restarts, you have to do it again, it can take 2 or more attemps, keep trying...]

The receiver will restart
    Go back to Menu, Usb, then load your saved channels data back

The receiver will restart again, then go to menu, network. Press 1111 and 'Key edit' will appear, go to key edit and turn both Ucas ON, then exit to save.
    Back to Network, you will see the new layout, go to CLIENT (client setup) and check that your line(s) is there (if you have one or more). You will see 10 lines now instead of 8 before.
    Press Exit and go down to Ethernet and turn it ON

Download the epg conf files
    Unzip the files attached onto a USB stick.
    Go to the USB menu.

Select the *.con file in the USB menu.
    Select the URL from the popup list and select it.
    It will be saved in the URL field when you go to the Download EPG Data menu in the network menu.

Then proceed to download the EPG of your choice.

One package/sat is available at one time

*** PS Note that when the box is put on standby or off, you will lose the epg data and you will have to download it again. ***

Hope this will shed a light on the dark sides of the process.
    Last edited by Aldo; 14-08-2011 at 01:48 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aldo For This Useful Post:

toothfairy (14-08-2011)

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i tried new epg download,was not impressed so reverted to my earlier patch.no big hardship,but i will add,maybe spider team should concentrate on getting the box back to its former glory
    instead of this epg software

mister-t

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    TONY RE CRASHING.. i dont know if u mean via the ethnet ( or what was s**vice+)
    that is because the epg is held in the flash memory , and not any of the reasons you listed in post 1

the same applies to any other epg ( or now and next ) that it gets , they are all held in flash memory and lost when you switch it off

what you really need is similar to the dreamboxes or vu+ and that is a downloaded epg held on hdd or usb stick

remember , oak trees grow from little acorns , but they take time to develop

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

jackpot18uk (14-08-2011), Paul 48 (14-08-2011), slarty (14-08-2011), toothfairy (14-08-2011), Unity (15-08-2011), ^^COMPASS^^ (14-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    hiya echelon.... i guess i am thinking of the sly+ receiver that always retains the programme listing of course.
    ok some ryac files as a example spain or greece/// only take 2 mins to download from the epg section of the menu-network
    that said the 28.2 can take 15 mins!! THAT is a long time...
    on the good points ,, the SW download when it works ( and yes mine did 1st time) is very good...
    the menu - network is up todate and the clients file much improved.

Thanks
    hiya echelon.... i guess i am thinking of the sly+ receiver that always retains the programme listing of course.
    ok some ryac files as a example spain or greece/// only take 2 mins to download from the epg section of the menu-network
    that said the 28.2 can take 15 mins!! THAT is a long time...
    on the good points ,, the SW download when it works ( and yes mine did 1st time) is very good...
    the menu - network is up todate and the clients file much improved.
    yep , but its an incorrect comparison , and you have no idea if and when the sly box does the epg update or how long it takes either , probably done in the middle of the night

and every sly plus box has a hdd to store it onto ( I think they do it that way ) , and its similar on linux boxes too using the same conf files , the bigger the epg the longer it takes and there are hundreds of channels on 28e for the one provider so the epg will take longer

my sony dvd recorder does a freeview epg update to hdd every morning at 0500 and sometimes at other times , and that takes maybe 10 minutes to complete just for digital freeview

its also worth bearing in mind that the slybox plus and the dvd recorder are only on one bouquet of transponders ( in my case 28.2e and 28.5e for satellite and winter hill with 6 transponders for freeview ) , so its fair to say that they can only do one at once too , in which case your comparison would have to state they are the same ( one at once )

so in my opinion the d/l time is probably correct on all platforms for the uk , less for some sats or broadcasters on satellite , and probably the longest of them all for sly uk or sly italia but they are done in real time anyway over the air

it seems to me that as its new to you then you are making newbie assumptions , whereas those with linux boxes like me have had it for a few years now and obviously have a different viewpoint

nobody is forcing you to use it , its a bolt on feature you can use or not use , a free added bonus if you will , but you cannot compare it to sly plus as its a different system with better support and every box has embedded hdd if they wish to store it , and if they dont store it the epg populates anyway from over the air transmissions like tring on 16e which again is a better system , even my old sly box without hdd uses the over the air population system

this epg system is a workaround , and by definition cannot be as good as a dedicated system like sly or freesat , or the opensat system that all use the sat channels for over the air real time delivery

you will find that your computer or laptop also loses what is in its RAM when switched off , or even when placed in standby if it doesnt save its position to hdd , your mp3 player also loses what is stored in its RAM , your satnav loses its position and has to lock back onto the satellites again after a switch off or when placed in standby , the list goes on and on m8

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to echelon For This Useful Post:

chalkster (15-08-2011), johnhenry (15-08-2011), toothfairy (14-08-2011)

Thanks
    TO PUT in a nut shelf i find now it a taft dissapointing....
    when u have downloaded a rytac file of your chosing to the usb stick and transfer to the receiver ONLY 1 IS possible ,, lets say 28.2!!!
    ok you can then view 6 days apx of times/channels BUT!!!!!!!! WHEN YOU TURN THE RECEIVER off!!! IT WILL NOT HOLD IT! i assume because its internet linked,, further more it takes on 28.2 a good 10 mins , wel it does on mine to d/l... spannish ,, german etc takes 2 mins!!!! but you can only have 1,
    FINALY. i notice there were 4 choices of a download for the epg,, i chose THE BE ONE tht showed on the rytac file... would it speed up things to choose one of the others. i thing 1 said world saterllitte or something like that to download.
    Go into OSD setup, then goto energy saving mode and set powersaving mode to off. epg data is then not lost when putting to standby.

The software could do with an automatic overnight updating function, would be nice is more channels on the epg could be displayed at once as well ..

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to g_p_t For This Useful Post:

barrysat (14-08-2011), chris B (18-08-2011), davy530 (15-08-2011), echelon (14-08-2011), folky (14-08-2011), johnhenry (15-08-2011), Marco (14-08-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by g_p_t View Post
    Go into OSD setup, then goto energy saving mode and set powersaving mode to off. epg data is then not lost when putting to standby.

The software could do with an automatic overnight updating function, would be nice is more channels on the epg could be displayed at once as well ..
    suggestions like this are invaluable , except to say I dont believe all the boxes have the energy saving mode , but for those that do I suggest they follow the above recommendation

its also fair to comment on the fact that the auto update mode does exist on the linux boxes so its a fair addition to ask for on here , and is also the same as on my sony dvd recorder

my dreambox is set to auto update at a time set by me , I had forgotten that until g-p-t mentioned it above , but there are so many settings to deal with on a dreambox anyway

Thanks
    I have one of the older boxes without the power saving function. Putting on standby doesn't lose the data.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Satcat For This Useful Post:

Aldo (20-08-2011), echelon (14-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    re gpt .. :Go into OSD setup, then goto energy saving mode and set powersaving mode to off. epg data is then not lost when putting to standby.

ASSUME as havnt tried that as yet.. it will be ok to restart later in the day ?? WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS TO THE RECEIVER.
    will have a look at that later.. and taken a note of echelons comments that some may not have the energy
    saving mode facility......
    i guess at the end of the day,, its not the end of the world!!!! if i want the 6 day epg ,, well willl just have to d/l it again,

ATT SAT CAT.. it wont loose the network data but it will the 6 day epg,, if u look your notice it will be now and next only. when u use the remoate and epg button,,,,
    if u turn off the receiver to standbye and switch on ,
    Last edited by keith mawer; 14-08-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Putting on standby doesn't lose the data.
    Use just the one, 28, left on standby, put on today epg still there ?????

Thanks
    No, I don't lose it Keith. It's still there after putting box on standby and back on again.
    So it should be ok for you if you do as g_p_t suggests.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Satcat For This Useful Post:

cromwell (14-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    HEY!! tnks gpt and echelon yes by putting the power to off ( in the osd section) it works a treat!!!
    phew!! every day one learns something new!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    yep , but its an incorrect comparison , and you have no idea if and when the sly box does the epg update or how long it takes either , probably done in the middle of the night

and every sly plus box has a hdd to store it onto ( I think they do it that way )
    Thats certainly true of Sly HD boxes ech but not standard plus boxes AFAIK. They also have PIP while you are in the EPG so you can keep an eye on the prog you are on. With 500k or 1TB drives I suppose its easy.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamcatcher For This Useful Post:

echelon (14-08-2011)

Banned
    Thanks
    echelon 1 last question plzzzzzzzzz... this is just my thoughts ok ,,,
    with the OCD Power set to off... power is in effect going into the receiver,,
    even when its left in standbye.....( front redlight is on)
    well the home plug lights are now on and the back of the s/receiver,,
    SO do u recon its safe to leave the power to off and do u recon it would increase ones electricty bill/ISP
    allowance much .
    Just asking for what u think,,,,,

Thanks
    Of course it will use electricity but not alot the but main thing that will consume electricity while plugged in is your power suppley so in comparison i wouldnt worry.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Quailman For This Useful Post:

echelon (15-08-2011)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Whats the point of a new EPG if the programme cuts out half way through, at least tring only crashed in the 92nd minute in the footy, which I am greatfull for.

Reliability should be addressed first.
    Stop be clever and gave the conversation different meaning. Try to Respect the Members who do serious questions and try to Help in his question ,than gave stupid non seance answer . The Epg is even for Free channels as well and even for them you get for Free and do not Appreciate...

I hope soon EPG and many other thinks will Improve for the Benefit of Genuine members
    Last edited by DARKMAN; 14-08-2011 at 10:38 PM.

29. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to DARKMAN For This Useful Post:

Aldo (15-08-2011), chalkster (18-08-2011), DIXNOD (18-08-2011), echelon (15-08-2011), Friendly-Face (18-08-2011), johnhenry (15-08-2011), keith mawer (15-08-2011), mike p (15-08-2011), nevbrand (15-08-2011), Satcat (14-08-2011), toothfairy (18-08-2011)

Thanks
    .... do u recon it would increase ones electricty bill/ISP
    allowance much .
    The electricity consumption is minimal especially compared to a S*y HD box which can consume around 55W even in standby.
    Broadband usage is so small it's not worth thinking about

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fernandez For This Useful Post:

echelon (15-08-2011), nevbrand (15-08-2011), toothfairy (18-08-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast