Thread: Problems recording to NAS - recordings stuttering badly

Thanks

Problems recording to NAS - recordings stuttering badly

A few weeks ago I posted that I couldn't get my S4000HD to connect to my NAS box. Well I managed it, but honestly speaking I don't know how

I think I set the NAS to accept NFS mounts on the share ("sat") aswell as Windows etc... created a user called "sky" and gave it permissions... the settings on the Icecrypt are like this:

19.168.1.79/sat
    sky
    sky

So, anyway... the network drive is connected ok, but I'm finding it to be problematic with multiple tasks.

Yesterday I tried to record 2 HD channels at the same time, and although the box initially slowed right down, pixelated and stuttered, it settled down and appeared to handle the task ok (menu's working very slowly, but the live picture (2nd recording) played ok.

This morning however, I tried to watch the 1st recording and it was ok (a bit of initial stuttering)... until about the time when I must have started my 2nd recording and the picture and sound just freezes. I tried re-booting both the NAS and the Icecrypt and neither sorted the problem, indicating a failed recording. The 2nd recording plays, but is totally unwatchable due to constant pixelation, stuttering and bad audio sync.

I did a little reading this morning and see some people were complaining of stuttering on HD channels, so I tried a factory reset and a firmware upgrade (v1.08.10). The task was tested again and the same results were shown; 1st recording stops when the 2nd is started (but still "records" for the length of the show) and the 2nd recording is very bad condition.

Further testing showed that the box managed ok to perform this task to the internal hard drive (just about).. so I conclude the problem either lies with the NAS, or the network connection.

My NAS is connected to a gigabit switch, but the connection is strangled at the Icecrypt's 100Mbit connection, so I was wondering if that's the reason the recordings won't work... or if the NAS box is being overworked?

Does anyone else currently have a similar setup, and does it work ok? I would like to know if it's worth upgrading my NAS box, or if it will still be held back and the cause more likely to be the 100Mbit network connection.

Is it possible to connect the Icecrypt to the gigabit switch using a USB adaptor? Would this speed things up, or would it just work the Icecrypt too hard?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Stu

Thanks
    Hi Stu,
    I've much the same setup as you, Icecrypt going into a Netgear gigabit switch and then onto the Icy Box 4220 NAS. I got it working last night but haven't done much testing so can't help you at the moment.
    I'm using firmware 1.07.94, I got some live stuttering at the weekend when using 1.08.09 so I downgraded and it seems to have done the trick.
    My NAS only has one drive, a 5400rpm Samsung Ecogreen. I'm not using Raid.
    I'll let you know how I get on with dual recording.

Steve

Thanks
    Cheers Steve!

I too am using the Icy 4220.. I was already thinking of stepping up to a Synology and if the NAS is the problem, it will be the final straw.

Please keep me posted with how you get on... I will also try a lower firmware.

Thanks
    After further testing I believe my problems are being caused mainly by XcamClient.

Firstly, I have concluded that the problem only occurs whilst trying to record 2x encrypted channels (HD and/or SD). The 1st recording stops when the channel is changed, not just recorded... and this also happens whilst recording to USB or internal HDD.

Testing shows that the problem does not occur when recording 2x HD freeview channels to the internal HDD, or 1x encrypted and 1x freeview. If recording 2x freeview HD channels to the NAS there is a little slowdown but they do record.

So, does anyone know if there's an alternative to XcamClient that I could use?

Thanks
    I managed to get Fortis CCcam to work with cardsharing in place of xcam but found it was worse in regards to freezing and stutters. Never got incubuscamd to work.

Thanks
    What about octaCAM... has anyone used this with success? Does it work with Sky shares? (please bear in mind I'm not talking about a paid server... simply an internal share with my own card and my own DM500s)

Thanks
    im seeing this for myself tonght, as soon as i hit record on a (paid HD channel) picture begins to break up, when not recording its fine, ive tried the latest 6 DEC version, and same.

this is recording to internal HDD! not even a NAS