Thread: How much memory ?

Thanks

How much memory ?

Hi all,
    Had a few problems with freezing when recording on my DB800 today, but not on FTA channels.

Never had a freezing problems before & I'm sure my connection is ok.

But when looking through CCcam info it was saying Ram in use 97%.

Surley this is not right, is there anyway to free up any memory?
    Should I enable the swap file settings or anything ike this ?

I'm using BH 0.12 with CCcam 2.1.3.

I had BH 0.11 then upgraded to 0.12. I only have about 200 channels & 5 sats on this box as I done a factory reset over the weekend.
    Also I I only have a few plugin's installed.

How much memory should be in use when viewing a SD or HD channel?

Thanks
    Guys

Thanks
    DM800 is a Linux machine.
    Traditional Unix tools like 'top' often report a surprisingly small amount of free memory after a system has been running for a while. For instance, after about 3 hours of uptime, the machine I'm writing this on reports under 60 MB of free memory, even though I have 512 MB of RAM on the system. Where does it all go?

The biggest place it's being used is in the disk cache, which is currently over 290 MB. This is reported by top as "cached". Cached memory is essentially free, in that it can be replaced quickly if a running (or newly starting) program needs the memory.

The reason Linux uses so much memory for disk cache is because the RAM is wasted if it isn't used. Keeping the cache means that if something needs the same data again, there's a good chance it will still be in the cache in memory. Fetching the information from there is around 1,000 times quicker than getting it from the hard disk. If it's not found in the cache, the hard disk needs to be read anyway, but in that case nothing has been lost in time.
    HTML Code:
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=175419