Thread: DM800 with internal hard drive

Thanks

DM800 with internal hard drive

Hi thinking of getting the DM800 from the board sponsers Goldwafer (which I assume will be an original box rather than clone).Just wondering if I should pay the extra to get an internal hard drive fitted with it. Does anyone have one and if so 1) Does it make much noise? 2) does it make the box hotter than normal? 3) Would an external drive be a better option?

thanks for any help

Thanks
    Fitted a HDD on my DM800 from new so can't really compare to experience without one...

Noisy? - Not really, I'm using a WD 320GB drive which is very quiet, except a slight tick every not and again when it's recording or playing back, hardly noticeable.

Hot? - No. I have a fan on my CPU and this helps I guess, HDD temp is around 42degC. A case fan would help to bring this down a bit further.

Thanks
    In my experience the internal HD doesn't make a sound in my environment. It can't be heard. I also note that to me it seems far less about the HD getting hot. My box gets hottest in the tuner area.
    The box is great.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jswarb001 View Post
    Hi thinking of getting the DM800 from the board sponsers Goldwafer (which I assume will be an original box rather than clone).Just wondering if I should pay the extra to get an internal hard drive fitted with it. Does anyone have one and if so 1) Does it make much noise? 2) does it make the box hotter than normal? 3) Would an external drive be a better option?

thanks for any help

1) yes, they do make a a slight noise, but where you locate it depends on whether you can hear it or now. Mine is in my bedroom and if I set something to record I can definitely hear it start up. A flashing red light when it records can be annoying too if it's in the middle of the night

If you had it in the lounge you wouldn't hear it.

2) yes, it makes the box hotter than usual but this isn't much of a problem really.

3) an external would be probably be louder and look worse. Internal HDD's are the way to go

Thanks
    Put an internal HDD in mine from new.

My Xbox, PS3 and even Sky HD box make more noise than it so I wouldn't worry about the sound.

As others have also mentioned the hotest area is where the tuner is positioned not where the HDD gets installed.

Touch wood mines been working fine with no locking up/hanging since new.