Thread: TomTom ONE XL - Options To Update ?

Thanks

TomTom ONE XL - Options To Update ?

Hi,

Would anyone please be able to advise me what my options are to update a TomTom ONE XL that is around 5 years old?

I think it is running Navcore v8.010 and I would like to get it updated to use the most recent speed camera files and any other more recent stuff I can load onto it.

I am a bit confused about the two forum download sections of "Safety UK Cameras" and "UK Zoned Speed Camera Files" and which to use on my satnav.

Also does the BBS tool do all of the patching and updating of the navcore and maps/camera files if I have donloaded them or do I still need to do some manual stuff?

Thx for any advice

Thanks
    You can either use Tomtom Home to update to the latest official navcore or use one of the various other navcores that are available. Depends really on what map & map functions you want to use. Then use an activation tool to patch the ttsystem file, add compatible map & postcode files & then use the tool to activate the map.

The safety UK Cameras are from tomtom - never used these myself, but think they will also need activating, the other files are from pgpsw & do not need any activation.

Have a look at the guides posted in here & also look at the latest v895 map thread.

BBS Tools should do all the patching & activating.

Thanks
    Hey mate...the best navcore to use for your device is 8.562. I have attached it below..its the one i use on my tom tom one V3 and it works like a dream..Its pre patched also..If you go to navcore 9 or above your device will slow down dramatically...With that navcore you can load the latest map with **** which is United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ir eland_895_4444 ..Again which is what i use...Regards the speed cameras.You can use the latest uk ones from my post "Safety UK Cameras" and copy them into the map folder..no need for activation.. Hope this helps you..As always make a backup of your device before you update incase you have to restore it..then all i do is format the device like you would a usb and then copy then navcore over,then the map and then the cameras inside the map..Let us know how you get on..hope this helps..EXTRA...use bbstools to activate the map,that's it..lol
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Russell1, dOOds,

Thx for the replies, most appreciated. I have a couple of questions if you could please bear with me as a total novice with this stuff? I would like to get a version of the current UK/ROI maps on the TomTom plus the speed cameras but without having to shell out to TomTom.

So far, I have installed TomTom HOME on my PC, connected the TomTom and installed whatever updates the TomTom HOME software gave me. The current navcore after doing this is v8.010 and looking at the device speed camera folder the camera files are dated 2007. I have backed up the TomTom using TomTom HOME and I also have a spare 2gb SSD that I can use instead of the one that is currently in the device. On the assumption that I want to use navcore 8.562 as recommended by "dOOds" with my spare 2gb SSD and also the other files recommended above could you please explain in a bit more detail what the precise steps are to get it configured?

1. When you say "format the device", is this the TomTom unit with my spare 2gb SSD installed and is it a FAT32 PC format of the E:\drive (TomTom showing as E:\)

2. On the official TomTom SSD there are a lot of different folders and files, I have unpacked the navcore 8.562 rar file but the folder list from this seems to be a bit different to what I have on my TomTom device. For example, on my TomTom, the maps and cameras are in a root folder of E:\ named "United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_I reland", however, this does not exist in the unpacked rar navcore folder system, where do I copy the cameras and maps to?

3. There are a lot of recovered file fragment files with the *.chk extension in the unpacked navcore folder system (root of E:\ and sub folder named voices), can these *.chk files be deleted or are they part of the system?

4. What is the **** referred to that I use to load the latest maps, is that some software tool that you cannot mention on the forum?

Sorry for all of the questions but it is all new to me and I am not familiar with any of the tools or processes involved and just wish to make sure I get it right and do not fry the TomTom.

Rgds

Thanks
    format your device on your pc/laptop..You have to download the latest map..I believe some new ones have been posted on these forums.copy the navcore to your device,copy the map over to device also and then copy over cameras into the map folder...So format your tomtom first and then copy stuff over one by one..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dOOds View Post
    format your device on your pc/laptop..You have to download the latest map..I believe some new ones have been posted on these forums.copy the navcore to your device,copy the map over to device also and then copy over cameras into the map folder...So format your tomtom first and then copy stuff over one by one..
    I understand this in principle but what folder do I copy the map over to and same for the cameras, there is not a map folder as far as I can see in the set of navcore files that you uploaded for me. Once I get over this point I think I will be OK?

Rgds

Thanks
    yes you need a map..that will be in a folder...find map and copy that over and then put cameras inside that map folder

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moonbase View Post
    4. What is the **** referred to that I use to load the latest maps, is that some software tool that you cannot mention on the forum?
    **** is m e t a (without the spaces). The m e t a file / info is needed to activate the map.

Thanks
    Russell1, dOOds

Update:

It looks to have updated OK and seems to be working fine, many thanks for your help guys and also for the links to the files I have used.

I have a couple more questions if you could please assist?

1. I used a 2gb SD in the TomTom ONE XL and all the files went on OK. If I wish to add some extra map files such as Europe or Western Europe and they would exceed the capacity of my 2gb SD can I use a 4gb SD in the TT device or is it configured in its firmware to only accept up to a 2gb SD?

2. If I do add extra maps, am I correct in assuming that I add the extra map activation info to the m e t a .txt file using notepad then use BBS tools to activate the extra maps (that BBS tools is nice !)?

3. Would anyone please be able to provide a link to a Western Europe or Europe map download that is compatible with navcore 8.562?

4. If I wish to customise the splash screens with personalised bitmaps will any bmp files be OK providing they respect the 480 x 272 pixels that seem to be the standard for the unit?

Thanks
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

This post seems to suggest no additional software is required to update new maps and Navicore. However, another thread seems to say that a couple of programs need to be installed first. I'm using Mac OSX, am I still able to do everything?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pallenolder View Post
    Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

This post seems to suggest no additional software is required to update new maps and Navicore. However, another thread seems to say that a couple of programs need to be installed first. I'm using Mac OSX, am I still able to do everything?
    If you read the second post properly in this thread (my first reply in here) you would of noticed the referral to an activation tool, which is additional software required to activate any original navcore and any copied map, as is also mentioned in a few other threads in here.
    Sorry cant help regarding the Max OSX as I have never used one.

Remagen [zGemma 2S, Vu+ duo, SS1, SS2HD, Foxsat 1000s & Foxsat HDR]
    Thanks
    A bit off topic but if you use a W European map in France either:
    1) Don't add a speed camera file for France
    or
    2) Be prepared to hide the Tom Tom from Monsieur Plod if you get stopped.

Reason: the traffic cops can fine you heavily for using a speed camera notification tool.

Of course, you can always turn the a speed camera file into a rest area file and get the TT to display them.

Remagen [zGemma 2S, Vu+ duo, SS1, SS2HD, Foxsat 1000s & Foxsat HDR]
    Thanks
    Apparently it is now OK to use a hazardous zone alert file.

That is a bit like the UK where the police claim that cameras are only placed at accident black spots, so having a speed camera file is just alerting a driver to a hazard.

Of course, we all know they are really just a source of revenue.