Thread: coax wire ?

V.I.P
    Thanks

coax wire ?

i have bought a new lcd tv and need a new aerial putting up , my other aerial has 8elements and picture on tv is ok ,i can see the transmitter from the roof . what i want to know is would i get a better picture if i got an aerial with more elements and also whats the best coax cable to use ? i am only running wire about 10meters from aerial on roof . there is some RG6 sat cable at screwfix or low loss air spaced coaxial cable at £17/100m . which would be best . thanks

Thanks
    in theory the more elements you have the better the signal gain is however remember you can sometimes have too much signal...

as far as the cable goes some bog standard sat coax should be fine for the job but over 10m i doubt you would be able to tell the difference between that and the low loss coax

Thanks
    is the aerial that is now on your roof an anolouge or digital aerial?? if it is the older aerial i would suggest investing in a new digital aerial i installed one at my fathers house for him also could see the mast on the hill and just took the old one down put new one up with the cable that was supplied with the antenna picture perfect..... link for you for the one i put up ...
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/5343236.htm

Thanks
    The only difference between "ana logue" and "digital" aerials is the channel coverage. Your old aerial is probably grouped to the channels from your TX while a new "digital" will be wideband as the digital channels are spread all over the bandwidth. This may change when ana logue is switched off. As for cable, co-ax is always handy so I would buy a reel of sat cable with copper foil and foam spacer.

Thanks
    i take it you are talking about freeview if you have got all the chanels about 86 in all and they are not pixalating then no you wont get a better picture by changeing your aerial

V.I.P
    Thanks
    i got the tv a sony kdl32s4000 and the digital channels are fine and the analogue channels are watchable but not as clear , the aerial im using is in the upstairs bedroom and its runs from the roof to the sat reciever downstairs then out of sat reciever to a splitter where one end goes to tv downstairs and the other goes to to upstairs where im using it in bedroom . so may be better picture on analogue channels if i have a direct aeriel from roof . thanks

Thanks
    what area do you live in? it may not be worth doing anything yet since the analogue signals are being turned off soon (the latest date is 2012)

Thanks
    The power to the digital signal "should" increase once we get the switchover.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    hi yes digital comes in november 2009 so not long off , if digital pictures are ok now through my current aerial , will they be ok after the switch over or am i better with a digital aeriel . thanks

Thanks
    Anybody that is looking for a new aerial google tlc direct the prices are pretty good for digital and analogue

Thanks
    Forget a nalogue but from your description it may well be worth your while getting a distribution amp to split your aerial to your different TVs. Bog standard splitters are very lossy!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rasp View Post
    Anybody that is looking for a new aerial google tlc direct the prices are pretty good for digital and analogue
    they look reasonable aerials but remember to aid digital signal look for an aerial with a balun, this will reduce the miss match error from the 300ohm dipole to the 75 ohm cable, use double screened coax where ever possible, i prefer a bigger aerial and passive spitting where possible, but if not am @ the head end with a single or multi point mast head amp . Any other questions just ask. I do prefer log periodic aerials for locations that have enough signal, because of their inherent flat gain and narrow acceptance angles too

Thanks
    I'm using a Televes DAT45 from TLC. Excellent aerial with balun and "F" connectors.