Thread: Which LCD or Plasma??? So many.......

V.I.P
    Thanks

Which LCD or Plasma??? So many.......

buying a new tv over the next couple of weeks. have got between £600-£800 to spend (rather spend little as poss but will stretch to £800).

I want full HD, 100hz, and i get 20% off from where i work (a certain mail order retailer )

have been thinking about which one for ages and managed to narrow it down to LCD rather than Plasma, mainly because i thought LCD's were just that little bit more sharper and vibrant, and possibly the 40" Samsung series 6, which i can get for just over £600.

however, my bros just sent me right back to square one. he's just set himself up with a Panasonic TH42PZ80 Plasma which does look just stunning through HD.

There's just too much info out there and so much to choose from, and obviously once i've bought it, it's too late to change my mind so i want to be sure before i buy.

i know there are pro's and cons with LCD and Plasma, but i just can't seem to make my bloody mind up!!! Can anyone recomend anything, LCD or Plasma, any models to look at?? and help me out a bit??? I can't believe that this is the biggest and hardest decision i'm facing in my house move!!!!

also, the tv will be on the wall at eye level when sat on the sofa (in place of the fireplace), with a PS3 hooked up and possibly slyHD.

thanx and all the best

Thanks
    Get the Panasonic TH42PZ80 Plasma as it will beat any LCD and can be found for £500.
    Try to get at least a 3 year warranty.

Plasma is superior on SD programs, which will be 90% of what most people watch.

LCD can be better on HD programs.
    Last edited by xanadu; 31-12-2008 at 01:49 PM.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Toshiba zv range have SD upscaling so should beat any other TV for non-HD quality (that is 90% of all programming)

Thanks
    I recently change one of mine and after a lot of research i decided like you LCD
    and Samsung infact the one i got was 46” LCD – Samsung LE46F86BD, and was worth the money, the picture is great, only disapointment is the lack of HD sat channels that are in true hd, most seem to be upscaled and not that great. Only the sport seems to be up with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    Get the Panasonic TH42PZ80 Plasma as it will beat any LCD and can be found for £500.
    Try to get at least a 3 year warranty.
    AGree

Also Panasonic TH-46PZ80B 46"

Panasonic TH-46PZ80B £799 at Selfridges including 5 year warranty

5 Year warranty sometimes cost £2/300 Not a bad deal for a 46" PLasma

Panasonic TH46PZ80B Plasma 46" 16:9 Viera 1080p Inc Ped

Panasonic 46" Full 1080P Plasma TV with Integrated Freeview, 100hz Scan, 24p Input, 3x Hdmi Connections

* HD 1080P Plasma TV
    * Screen size 46"
    * Nicam Sound System
    * Tuner Type:Analogue with Freeview
    * Smartext with EPG
    * Pip:Picture in Picture
    * 100hz Scan
    * 24fps Compatible
    * Picture resolution 1920x1080p
    * Contrast Ratio 30,000:1
    * PC compatible
    * Hd Connection:Hdmi x3
    * Component RGB
    * 2 Scart Sockets
    * Remote

Thanks
    Ive got a plasma and a lcd, i prefer my plasma to watch normal tv, but to be honest i dont play my ps3 on my plasma as if you play on it for a few hours i get a lot of retention in the screen and if you was playing your game console for a long time you could get image burn.

I did play my ps3 a few times on my plasma, but then i decided to stop as my mate whos got a panasonic like mine started to get the pink snake like effect on his screen, so it had to go back.

If you are using it mainly for gaming get a lcd i would go for a sony v4000, you can get them for about 500 pound, but if your getting one just to watch tv, i dont think you can beat the panasonic plasma's.

chelseaboy

Thanks
    Image burn isnt an issue on LCD tv's.

My advice would be to go to your local electrical store and take a look at the tv's there. Get some ideas of looks, quality and price. Check out the connectivity on the back and see if it suites your needs. Its always interesting to see the TV's all lined up next to one another in currys/comet etc so you can have a good comparrison. I have a samsung 32inch 100hz. The shiny black plastic finish goes well with the ps3. If I had to buy another I'd look for 37 - 40 inch.
    I would avoid unknown makes, stick to the leading names.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    thanks for the comments and guidance. some good info there, and more is welcome.

@veron57, i did this at currys. they had the same samsung lcds in a row showing same movie but using different connections.

they also had the samsung LCD next to the samsung plasma, both 100hz, full hd and similar sizes, using same connections and same movie. this is what originally swung the LCD for me as it just looked like there was more depth to the LCD picture when stood alongside the plasma. but then you don't really notice this 'lack' of depth on the plasma when there's no LCD next to it.

does sound like a bargain for the 46" pana plasma which may be the likely candidate - £800 with 5yr warranty!!!

anyway, will let post the winning tv and my opinion once bought and hooked up!

thanx and all the best. Hope you all have a good'en!

Thanks
    Ive heard that the 5 Year Warranty deal runs out today -- and if you go for a delivery your looking up to 4 weeks at Selfridges
    More info here -->_http://tinyurl.com/7dlq2r
    42" FULL HD 1080 LCD TV - Sharp LC42SB55E (Full HD 3 x HDMI) - £517.50 @ Makro (FROM 2nd JAN to 6th JAN)

Panasonic TH42PX80B (42" Plasma TV - HD Ready - Freeview - Inc spks & stand - With 5 year at home warranty) £549.90 (or £499.95 with 1 Year Warranty) instore @ Richersounds
    Last edited by applematt; 31-12-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    i have sony 52 w4500 LCD is very good best picture of all but semm little expenvies and include photo slide usb bult in freeview

Banned
    Thanks
    i guess the lcd v plasma will rumble on ,, but to be honest its a lcd for me i think!! and the reason ,, i am not that kean on glass screens , especially on a sunny day and reflection ,

Thanks
    a friend of mine just got a 40 in lcd from the sony centre with a is it a play station 3 that was free with it and it plays blue ray dvds great picture got a free 5 years warrenty for £ 700 the lot

Thanks
    thats a cracking deal mate, ps3's are about 300 pound to buy oin there own,i would love to buy a new tv, but i cant justifty buying one at the moment as the tv's ive got are okay.

chelseaboy

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    I stood in dixons a few weeks ago looking at these as a comparison , unfortunately they had not one sony on display

the series 6 samsung 40 inch lcd 1080p 100hz one caught my attention

the sony 40w4000 was great in a different shop but has no 100hz facility so the 40w4500 1080p seems my ideal size and type of lcd tv but is more expensive than the 40w4000 model

the gadget show reviewed 3 recently and the sony just beat the samsung

so my ideal is a 100hz 1080p sony 40 inch with freeview built in and 3 or 4 hdmi sockets , and if they had a built in dvd player for not a penny extra then my m8 would like that on his wall too , lol ( oh , and the cheaper the better , lol )

Thanks
    i like 100" hd projecter carnt go back now to my 42"