Thread: dab radio

Thanks

Icon12 dab radio

hi guys, a relative wants to buy me a dab radio, i,ve been to currys for an eyeball but its a minefield of choice,i just stand there agog!!!
    the budgets around 70ish just wondering what has and what has not re quality. cheers all

Thanks
    You may want to consider an internet radio player instead, we have one and there are over 7000 radio stations available as opposed to the handful on DAB. Quality isn't bad either. DAB quality is a bit of a mixed bag, the bit rates used are in many cases less than those available via the web.

Even the flagship Radio 3 DAB signal is only 192 kb/s which is less than most mp3 rips... Many DAB lsiteners say DAB is worse than FM.

The web radio player we have is an old BT Voyager, which I bought for £30 new. This was the only player I could find at the time that had batteries, as opposed to needing mains power, so we could lsiten in the bathroom in the morning. The only downside with this BT player is that the PC needs to be switched on as it does not use WiFi but has it's own proprietry wireless system. Other than that, it's perfect, and will even play mp3's and CD's from your PC, and has FM built in.

DAB's future does not look rosy, Channel 4 closed down it's DAB division recently, and there is a new DAB+ system waiting in the wings which will make DAB obsolete (not backwards compatible).

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 812 Posts
    DAB is worse than FM.

I bought one from tesco's and it was very dificult to use and the sound quality was hopeless, some places it would not work and it kept cutting out.

I took it back and got my dosh back.

Many of the radio broadcasters are pulling out of dab now as the audience is so small it is not viable.

Thanks
    Regrettably I have spent a lot on DAB over the recent years. From a hi-fi point of view my old Quad FM tuner gave better quality sound than my awful Arcam DAB with digital aerial. I use a Panasonic portable DAB just for footie commentaries that are blanked out on the net. For most of the time I use a Roberts wi-fi radio. (Was so delighted with it I immediately bought a 2nd one for upstairs). The future for DAB is bleak. Better broadcasting standards are already out there. If your relative insists on DAB for you then the most important factor is strength of tuner unless you are in an area where it currently booms in. I had to try 3 different makes before I discovered the Panasonic and even that only works in one tight position in the kitchen! (I refer to the Panasonic as portable which is not quite correct as if I move it at all signals go and I read that DAB drinks batteries unless plugged in the mains). Ask Auntie for socks instead.

Thanks
    Don't know if this will influence your decision on the purchase of a DAB Radio, but the digital switchover for analogue AM/FM radio is earmarked for 2020, also DAB radio's use more electricity than analogue radios.

Code:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7470460.stm
    BTW Anyone know why the Beeb is suggesting to people to purchase DAB radios ?

Thanks
    Got to say in my opinion it is hit and miss.

Yes the quality isnt as good as fm on a good day, but then when you listen to 5live or tlksport you dont get a nasty hiss either.

And yes if you do move the radio a millimetre you lose reception, but at least there is no tuning involved.

In my opinion as a dab owner for the last 4 years, get WI-FI radio, much better, and funnily enough wont go out of date, especially with of different dab formats coming out.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi,
    I got an "ATMT" Dab radio off the net for £29.99 when everyone else was selling them for £70. Its earphone only and I use it to listen to Radio7 when I am out.
    Unfortunately for listening to stations like 7 when out of the house DAB is the only option I believe?
    I will treat myself to a DAb car radio when I trade my ca in next year.
    Quality is not as good as my FM portable.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrome307 View Post
    BTW Anyone know why the Beeb is suggesting to people to purchase DAB radios ?
    Because of all our money they have invested in the broadcasting network, over 100 transmitters...

...Encouraged by the government to free up radio bandwidth they can sell off like they did with 3G, Digital TV etc...

BTW: Ofcom are considering MPEG4 based Digital Radio Mondial as an alternative using the AM frequency in 2012, BBC trialed the DRM system in Devon last year.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    I think the quality depends on what you buy, I have 2 Pure DAB radios and the sound is great but they are not cheap the latest one only has a 6w power supply and uses less the 1w in standby.

Thanks
    And it might be worth going for one where you can delay the audio by a few seconds so as to synchronise with any foreign satellite coverage of premiership footy when the tv commentary is not in English..

Thanks
    Comet were doing a nice Roberts RD46 DAB radio for about £35 which is half price, but I think all sold out now.

If you are buying a DAB radio then only get Roberts or Pure branded radios as they have the best reception signal.

The sound quality is very good for portable or in car use, but if you are a Hi-Fi buff then you are better off with satellite radio or internet radio.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdig View Post
    And it might be worth going for one where you can delay the audio by a few seconds so as to synchronise with any foreign satellite coverage of premiership footy when the tv commentary is not in English..
    gr8 minds think alike

Thanks

dab/sat-radio

Quote Originally Posted by xanadu View Post
    Comet were doing a nice Roberts RD46 DAB radio for about £35 which is half price, but I think all sold out now.

If you are buying a DAB radio then only get Roberts or Pure branded radios as they have the best reception signal.

The sound quality is very good for portable or in car use, but if you are a Hi-Fi buff then you are better off with satellite radio or internet radio.
    Thanks for all the contributions. I use my sat.receivers more for radio than tv but with most receivers I have to have the screen on to change then station or have any epg. is there a sat receiver that can be used as a sat-radio receiver only?

many thanks.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Trouble with UK radio is most of the stations are absolute trash.

Cool Dude
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tt2xr View Post
    Trouble with UK radio is most of the stations are absolute trash.
    Planet Rock is the only channel I use every day

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlCappuccino View Post
    Thanks for all the contributions. I use my sat.receivers more for radio than tv but with most receivers I have to have the screen on to change then station or have any epg. is there a sat receiver that can be used as a sat-radio receiver only?

many thanks.
    many interesting comments lads, so i,ll say thanks to all myself!!!!!!!

Thanks

many thanks.
    The Elium receivers have a nice clear display for Radio and no need for the TV on. Not worth buying new as too expensive but you might see an Elipsus or Signum cheeap on ****:
    http://www.elium.de/3/products/20/60...m%20516/2.html

I like DAB because reception is so much better than FM in my area. I get about 5 good quality FM satations with external area, get 20+ with DAB and some of the local ones are not available in any other way. Although nnow Planet Rocks is on Sat my need for DAB is reduced.
    Last edited by Krobar; 19-12-2008 at 11:20 AM.

V.I.P
    Thanks

many thanks.
    Ive sat recievers in all rooms connected to amps just for radio. Do what i do, have your stations on each STB programmed in the order you want them, then make a print out of the station/channel numbers of each station so you can select the channel. Eg, BBC radio 1 on 1, capital radio on 13 etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whompus View Post
    Planet Rock is the only channel I use every day
    Kiss 100 for me!

Brilliant station, and the breakfast show is FAB.