Thread: Manchester says no

Thanks

Manchester says no

All 10 Councils in Greater Manchester have said no to the congestion charge.

Yippee!

Thanks
    Should charge the fookers for coming out of the city

Banned
    Thanks
    perhaps councillors will now learn to listen to the people instead of trying to impose their unpopular will on us - whilst spending great amounts of taxpayers money in trying to con us at the behest of Brownnose et al.

Sir Richard Lees famously commented at a public meeting on the subject of the congestion charge last year - his reply to the question from the floor of 'Why can't the people of Manchester have a referendum like Edinburgh?'. His reply - 'The people of Manchester would not understand the question !'

What an arrogant tw@t !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well - he was finally dragged screaming and kicking to the point of having to allow a referendum & guess what Sir Arrogant Lees - the people of Manchester well & truly read the question, saw through the scam it represented, understood it and gave you the answer in no uncertain terms - 'UP YOURS'.

Now do the real job of sorting out the traffic in Manchester - or do the people have to tell you how to do that as well?

Thanks
    For a given mile of road/track roads can carry 3-5 times as many people as railways. Rip up the tracks and lay tarmac and make them bus/coach only highways.

Reduces the number of buses on the roads, more capacity means more people will use them, ergo, less congestion.

Problem solved

Thanks
    And how right they were to say NO
    Now let find some rich People to pay the tax

V.I.P
    Thanks
    They'll just introduce exorbitant parking charges in the city to get the money by the backdoor. Politicians are greedy old ***** and when faced with defeat, just look at other ways to fleece the population. Nobody in their right mind was going to vote for a ludicrous camera based system with all the bureaucracy and hidden fines that go with it - I wouldn't even drive in London with all the b/s that goes on down there - couldn't be bothered to ring up or pay online for something I thought I'd already paid for in my road tax.

Every foreign city who have come to look at the London Congestion Charge always come to the same conclusion - who in their right minds would want a bag of old ****e system like that! Nobody else would put up with it, except the British. The Greeks would be burning Athens down if they tried it there - oh, they already are

Thanks
    One of the biggest problems and is why I voted no is that Councils have no control over bus services.

Under the failed TIF bid they promised more bus services etc, the problem companies like First Group still have the final say.

So if you were to give let say £10 million to First Group to improve services, do you really think the whole £10 million would be spent on improvements ?

Not a cat in hells chance.

Where I live they have remove 4 bus services in the last 18 months, we now have one bus to Manchester and one to Wigan.
    Out of Manchester at five you can't get on the dam thing because its so busy.

We felt that strongly about it down here that we had a meeting with one of the Directors from First Group and I quote what he said "We are a private company and we can do what we like. We don't have to run a service unless we make a profit from it" Unquote.

Another problem is I think people just don't trust leaders like R.Lees and P.Smith, they need to come down from their ivory towers and get in touch with reality.

@tj2 m8 I would'nt say Manchester is a Labour strong hold, not anymore.
    Maybe Salford but other places no. Everyone I talk too are fed up to the back teeth with this Goverment.

Banned
    Thanks
    Lees is a slime bag of the 1st order, arrogant to the extreme. Maybe they will now start to listen to 'the people' - but i wouldn't hold your breath on it.

Blears was told she would be voted out at the next elections for her stance on the congestion charge - likewise Kelly - but she's already taken the hint and advised she's gonna jump anyway. These *****s have no ears & must be blind as well & have the further necessary politicians attributes - rhino skin, no conscience & devoid of all moral & ethical fibre

V.I.P
    Thanks
    I used to be a Labour supported - now I wouldn't spit on them, so the 'once a Labour supporter, always a Labour supporter' doesn't hold true for me and I would guess a few million others. I would vote for the party who is most likely to beat Labour, whoever it is.

Thanks
    Now thats Dumb, why don't you put someone into the Labour Party that will du the things that the People want.
    Dont forget we are the People and you can use your Power.
    I agree that they have all been sleeping, and filling their own pokets, but the other Party can't get it together either.
    One other thing the ( Pound ) has to go. It's not the ( Euro ) thats pushing things up but the fact that the big Companys are hyping the Price.
    ie. that what should be 1Pound is 2Pounds.
    You will save if we have just one ( Currency )

V.I.P
    Thanks
    (for mrbleu500)
    (1)Rip up all the railway tracks and make them roads. (2) Replace the trains with much more efficient giant lorrys. (3) Link all the lorrys together to save having a driver in every one (4) As the lorrys will be very hard to steer put down metal tracks to guide them. (5) Think of a name to call this wonderfull invention?? (6) How about "A TRAIN".

Thanks
    @oldjiver

Great Idee.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldjiver View Post
    (for mrbleu500)
    (1)Rip up all the railway tracks and make them roads. (2) Replace the trains with much more efficient giant lorrys. (3) Link all the lorrys together to save having a driver in every one (4) As the lorrys will be very hard to steer put down metal tracks to guide them. (5) Think of a name to call this wonderfull invention?? (6) How about "A TRAIN".
    1. Trains need a lot of space to stop - think supertanker
    2. Trains cannot overtake
    3. Trains cost a fortune to build and maintain
    4. If a train stops - every train behind it is fecked
    5. Just sit beside any railway line for 30 minutes, then sit beside the M1 for the same time... It will then acutely come into focus

Did I mention that trains were outrageously expensive as a user...?

I had a meeting in Newcastle not long ago, the options were to drive, fly or take the train. Driving or taking the train would have taken the same time, about 5 hours, but the train costs almost £400... I took the flight for £54 including taxes.

Upgrading the west coast main line, just finished, took TEN YEARS and cost more than a new motorway from London to Glasgow... Absolutely bonkers. Will it have ANY impact on congestion? NO. But it will mean you can travel from London to Glasgow in just less than 5 hours, for £500, as opposed to a 30 minute flight for a tenner...

Rail is dead, unless it is high speed like the TGV, and competes on convenience AND price, it will not survive.

Thanks
    What a result it was in that it was not close in any of the 10 Greater Mamchester councils. I think the councillors who stood behind the yes vote should stand down as they have so misread the people they supposedly represent.

I use public transport and its crap. My wife uses the car to get to town as she has to drop the nipper off at school club and then get to work to get her hours in. As no improvements to my public transport route were mentioned in the TIF proposals it was basically a tax on my family to get to work.

The only way for it to work was for GMPTE to 'own' the buses for us to be sure all the money reached the parts it should. Why should private companies benefit fro such monies.

As for being a Labour stronghold I wouldn't be so sure. The City threw off the militant shackles many years ago when Liverpool was run by the loony left. However, they've never been new Labour. Many of the local councils have strong numbers for the Lib Dem's so the only red is our great football team.

Oldhamred.