Thread: Which Ipod

V.I.P
    Thanks

Which Ipod

Hi guys

thinking of getting an ipod for my daughter but a bit lost as to which is best.

I dont want top of range but something reasonable for her which can do all the tricks that these things may.

any suggestions or any info on the difference will be gratefully recieved

cheers

we are borg

Thanks
    HI Borg _ If she is a newbie to ipods then a basic non-view (No LCD text view of tracks)
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...d/ipod_shuffle

Refurbished iPod shuffle 2GB - Blue

Holds up to 500 songs
    Up to 12 hours of music playback
    .55 ounce
    1.62 x 1.07 x 0.41 inches
    Apple Earphones
    Included dock

£38.00

Save £6.05
    13% off

__

If she is sensible with gadgets then a iphone is a better bet as you have 02 300minutes per month plus a 16GB touch screen _ I think they are around £100 for the 16GB or free for 8GB but your on 18 month contract.

So one extreme to the other the Shuffle is the basic ipod and iphone the best. The Middle range is the Nano which is great for kids as it has a SHAKE feature so you can Shake it to change a track!

Nano = 16GB1: 4,000 songs / 16 hours of video £146.00

Ive worked with apple products for over 15 years any questions let me know. The reburb products are fully warranty -- But sometimes the box is not so hot etc

V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi Applematt

thanks for the post and very much along the lines that I was thinking.

Always good to get the expert point of view from someone who knows what they are talking about

We are borg

Thanks
    _http://www.offeroftheday.co.uk/main_cats/mp3-players-and-ipods.html

That link shows you some offers on high street -- But be make sure item is in stock etc as it getting closer to xmas. With ipods there are new models every 6 months etc and Some shops selll older models and you think its a current one etc.

The new 8GB Nano for £100 looks nice - comes with the Shake function!

_http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~app-mb598zo-a~dept~portableaudio~subdept~mp3p layers~brand~apple.htm?aid=119&aw id=60612

worth watching the videos on the apple site

_http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/

Personaly I would buy via a Store rather than online - as they are very helpfull and have a genius bar thats free - so any questions etc you can ask there. You dont have to buy anything to visit the genisus bar also! There you can alos play with all the ipods get a feel of them in your hand etc.

_http://www.apple.com/euro/store/
    --
    Last edited by applematt; 02-12-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks
    Just bought an iPod touch and it's amazing. I'm writing this on it. Great gadget for using the net when away from the pc.

Thanks
    the samsung p2,touchscreen like the i pod touch ,bluetooth and the firmware update is gonna make it wi fi and turn it into a phone,lot smaller then the touch and thinner plus a lot cheaper,8gb and bigger if you want it

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
    Just bought an iPod touch and it's amazing. I'm writing this on it. Great gadget for using the net when away from the pc.
    Yeah they are pretty good I'm waiting to see if the jailbreak comes out for the second gen before I buy one

TNT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    Yeah they are pretty good I'm waiting to see if the jailbreak comes out for the second gen before I buy one

TNT
    Cant you jailbreak the 2nd Gen ones then? All iphones can be Jailbroken - there is also a full 3G lock coming out very soon that will completely unlock the iphones - Ive not used the touch so much.

Ive jailbroke most iphones now do a handful a month. Bono if you wanna hand jailbreaking yours I have almost every APP for iphone/touch let me know.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by applematt View Post
    Cant you jailbreak the 2nd Gen ones then? All iphones can be Jailbroken - there is also a full 3G lock coming out very soon that will completely unlock the iphones - Ive not used the touch so much.

Ive jailbroke most iphones now do a handful a month. Bono if you wanna hand jailbreaking yours I have almost every APP for iphone/touch let me know.
    No you cant or at least not yet

iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1st Gen all use the the same decryption key the ipod touch 2nd gen they changed it

Dev team who are the hackers behind the iphone aren't currently looking at the 2nd gen ipod touch at least not for the near future, their concentrating on the iphone 3G for the time being

See they have dual boot into linux now

TNT

Thanks
    Ok I'm new to this whats Jailbreak? I assume that its installing modded apps and stuff on yer ipod touch, yes? So these jailbreak ones get the stuff for nothing?

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Yes

TNT

Thanks
    ive got a touch and its AMAZING!
    the applications are never ending, everything from a spirit level to a pocket dyno for measuring performance of your car.
    however if this ipod dosnt last long it will be the last one i ever buy!
    creative zens and sony walkmans are good also and you dont pay the apple premium. youll get more memory for your money if you buy a standard mp3.
    sony walkmans can sync with bbci player aswel which can be handy also mp4 capable!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    No you cant or at least not yet

iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 1st Gen all use the the same decryption key the ipod touch 2nd gen they changed it

Dev team who are the hackers behind the iphone aren't currently looking at the 2nd gen ipod touch at least not for the near future, their concentrating on the iphone 3G for the time being

See they have dual boot into linux now

TNT
    Source DEV Team
    3G Unlock

We have been working hard on a few other things. The main one being the 3G unlock codenamed “yellowsn0w”. This is now completed and is currently being packaged into a user-friendly application with the simplicity that you see in QuickPwn or BootNeuter.

* The target release date for the unlock is New Year’s Eve 2008.
    * This unlock method is available to iPhone 3Gs that have 2.11.07 baseband or earlier, we did warn you.
    * You can tell what version baseband you have by going to Settings->General->About->Modem Firmware
    * The unlock requires a jailbroken 3G iPhone. It’ll be installable via Cydia and so it doesn’t matter if you have a Mac or PC.
    * Please refrain from updating your baseband, regardless of what version you’re at. We’ll have complete directions on New Year’s Eve.
    * We’ll stream a live demo of the unlock before Christmas (see the update at the end of this post)

iPod touch 2G

Currently we are not investigating the iPod touch 2G. Other people outside the Dev-Team are looking into this, but we are not at the moment. Please don’t hassle us with comments and requests about this, they’ll just be deleted and ignored. If we do look at this device it will be sometime in the New Year and we’ll inform you guys if and when we commence this work.

We would like to reiterate that this is not because -

1. We are mean
    2. We are turning our back on the iPod touch community
    3. We have been paid off by JFK, Princess Diana or Elvis

This is because -

1. It’s not an iPhone
    2. We have been busy with the 3G unlock.
    3. We have been busy with the CCC talk.
    4. Only one of us has a iPod touch 2G (but we’ll see what Santa brings)
    5. Our employers don’t get as excited as us about hacking expensive pretty devices
    6. Unfortunately our partners, parents and pets need occasional attention too.

_http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/65126957/tis-the-season-to-be-jolly

(Hacking does not mean drinking loads of coffee and banging on a keyboard all day - thinking out of the box like using your sister who works in the hospital to x-ray the board/chip )
    Last edited by applematt; 18-12-2008 at 08:29 AM.

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    DevTeam have found a way to Jail Break the ipod touch 2G apparently it was a surprise find

Its called redsn0w

_http://redsn0w.com

Should be released in a few days time

TNT