Thread: Freeview Virgin1

V.I.P
    Thanks

Freeview Virgin1

Hi,
    I just got a video recorder that has a freeview tuner. I thought "good" I can get Virgin 1 and watch "My wife and kids"
    However the Virgin1 on Freeview seems to have different programes to Virgin1 on my sat box ( That I dont get with an expired Rupee card)
    Am I right or going nuts?
    Also no ITV 1 or Chan4 on freeview. Are they coming?

I just checked the freeview site and I should get ITV1 and Chan 4, so perhaps its a reception problem? Strange about Virgin though?
    Last edited by oldjiver; 24-11-2008 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,112 Times in 4,411 Posts
    itv1 and ch4 are both on freeview as you say, and although programming can vary in different areas , and there can be reception issues to take into account as well , but where I live I get around 89 or so freeview channels including radio , and I get the itv and ch4 channels too

so you either have a transmitter problem , or a reception problem , or some other problem , but if you check what muxes are available on your local transmitter you should find out what is available from it

try plugging the aerial directly into the stb , no other boxes involved so you dont get channel blocking on any of them

frankly , I am surprised you can get a vcr with freeview , as its more common to get a freeview pvr or a freeview dvdr , vcr is now dead in the water imho

as for what is on freeview , sometimes its a condensed version of what is on satellite , and sometimes it is on for only part of the time so that they can share 1 channel amongst more then 1 operator , or combine 2 or 3 channels onto the one slot

whilst virgin is currently working on 28 east ( star trek voyager ? ), I dont think it actually starts until 1800 or so on freeview so it says virgin1 on a black screen at the moment

update:- checked my tv guide and virgin on freeview starts at 1800 to 0600 and is the same programmes on sly and cable as well , so on freeview its not virgin during the day or its just a test card

Thanks
    the sarah connor chronicles,ohh yes

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Your probably find itv and ch4 are on a mux on low power on your transmitter so might need to upgrade your aerial or give it a tweak

I had to upgrade mine for this reason found digital signals are very sensitive to even small movements of the aerial, its a real pain if your in a weak reception area

You can get all the info you need below

_http://www.ukfree.tv/starthere.php

TNT

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post

frankly , I am surprised you can get a vcr with freeview , as its more common to get a freeview pvr or a freeview dvdr , vcr is now dead in the water imho
    There was one VCR that had freeview I think it was a LG one cannot find it know. DVD recorders are better I think and saves space.

Thanks
    There is no way to get Virgin1 on freeview, not yet anyway. But we cant have everything. Good luck all.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martin007 View Post
    There is no way to get Virgin1 on freeview, not yet anyway. But we cant have everything. Good luck all.
    seems a strange statement , seeing as its on freeview channel 20 from 1800 every evening , and I regularly record the sarah connor chronicles - terminator on it every week !!

launch date was 01 october 2007 , replacing ftn

_http://virgin1.virginmedia.com/

V.I.P.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by echelon View Post
    and I regularly record the sarah connor chronicles - terminator on it every week !!
    LOL thats the only good program on there

TNT

V.I.P
    Thanks

Icon10

We can have virgin 1 though.

Thanks
    just checked it and the same jerry springer show is on freeview ch20 and also on sly 121 as well

V.I.P
    Thanks
    LOL, I think you need to do a retune! Where there's a will there's a way.

V.I.P
    Thanks
    It is actually a DVD recorder not a VCR with freeview tuner (a slip of the mind!!) Its a Techwood from Tesco, works quite well.
    Only got it as it was cheap to replace my VCR/DVD recorder that broke, I have an old VCR player, so I plug that into it to transfer tapes to disc.
    I wll try a rescan sometime for ITV1 (funny I get ITV2).